Amazon Video Now Offers Offline Playback

Great if you have apple or android. Useless if you use a Windows laptop or tablet or any laptop for that matter and for some people with slow daytime internet this would be great for a PC set it to download overnight and watch during the day but again it only works with iOS or Android.

Great if you have apple or android. Useless if you use a Windows laptop or tablet or any laptop for that matter and for some people with slow daytime internet this would be great for a PC set it to download overnight and watch during the day but again it only works with iOS or Android.

Agreed, would be great to have on Windows or Linux. But if nothing else then you can run Android on your laptop and get it that way.

Agreed, would be great to have on Windows or Linux. But if nothing else then you can run Android on your laptop and get it that way.

Well I might, but for a non-techie like my 80+ year old mom, no way. Unless there is something better than dual boot or bluestacks?

This is the piece that has been missing from video streaming.

However, they really need to add a Windows app to be really useful. Guess it was too good to be true.

I'm looking at the Andy Android emulator, never noticed it before...anyone try it? Bluestacks looks like a pushy game oriented emulator to me (and gathers a fair amount of information on its use as well) and hasn't changed since I last thought about it, but Andy might be better.

Don't really care about performance since I have no interest in Android games, just want to be able to set it up on my mom's laptop or surface pro so she can download Amazon movies (her internet provider causes lots of pausing making watching live video impossible but she has no download cap).

Amazon seems to have issues developing and maintaining native Windows apps... Several of of their services could benefit from one and have never had the option (Prime Music etc), others had one and it was EOL'd like their consumer/Prime cloud storage plans.

This is the piece that has been missing from video streaming.

However, they really need to add a Windows app to be really useful. Guess it was too good to be true.

Agreed, I was kinda blown away when I stumbled upon this yesterday, before seeing this post.

Now if only they would have an app for video in the play store for Andriod users. I know there is a way to get an app but I would rather not have to jump through a bunch of hoops to get it.

Now if only they would have an app for video in the play store for Andriod users. I know there is a way to get an app but I would rather not have to jump through a bunch of hoops to get it.

Clicking a direct download link in their site qualifies as a bunch of hoops? They like to direct people to download it from their app store and whatnot but they've always hosted it directly on the site too.

I've downloaded it recently myself when I dismissed the app's own update notification by mistake and couldn't figure out how to call back the update from within the app.

Also, from what I understand they can't have it on the Play store because of Google's rules (no sub stores etc).

Well Andy doesn't work with Amazon's video app it just gives a 'can't work on this device because the hardware is incompatible error.' I tried all three GPU emulators and upping the resolution to 1920x1080 but the problem continues. Works fine with the Amazon underground app for what that's worth.

Used this feature at the gym today to start "Boardwalk Empires." Really pleased with the results and fairly simple to use. The gym I go to has thick concrete walls which blocks/slows down data connections and they don't offer wifi, so this is a great alternative.

take a breath.

Amazon seems to have issues developing and maintaining native Windows apps... Several of of their services could benefit from one and have never had the option (Prime Music etc), others had one and it was EOL'd like their consumer/Prime cloud storage plans.

Yeah the issue is Windows Mobile and Metro apps are dead. Amazon is hardly alone in ignoring it.

They had this feature with content you bought. I had purchased the season passes for Mad Men and Fargo. It allowed to download versus stream. Which, helped me when I moved to Alaska.

Yeah the issue is Windows Mobile and Metro apps are dead. Amazon is hardly alone in ignoring it.

Not really talking about Metro/WP but regular Windows, on the desktop or a laptop.

So how does this work? Can you download and keep it on your device for as long as you are a prime member, i'm gathering there is some DRM that limits this to the actual amazon app?

Back