Amazon Testing Grocery Store With No Checkout

So according to an Amazon engineer they're using "deep machine learning" (insert tech buzzword here) and tracking people through the store using a combination of sensors and a lot of cameras.

I know at Walmart's self-checkouts you just put the product on the scale, press 'look up item,' and then press the button for whatever kind of meat/produce it is.
Will they have produce? If so, maybe it'll just be sold prepackaged, which will allow them to price it in advance. Alternatively, all grapes could be sitting on a scale and you're billed by the amount you remove. I think it'd be harder to do it for something like an apple that's sold on a per apple basis, because the RFID tag would have to be very easy to remove, which makes theft easier, but I guess cameras can alleviate that. I assume Amazon has people who try to find ways to steal form the store.

and on that note my wife saves a crap ton at target using their cartwheel app ... me i'm too lazy
Well there's no doubt this will kill jobs, but I see it as the future. Why would you have a bunch of checkout lines with cashiers, when you can do it automatically with RFID. AFAIK, companies like Dell have used RFID to monitor components and they only pay Intel, for example, when a CPU leaves the storage area.

This type of thing is going to cause problems for low skill workers (and eventually high skill workers), but it's inevitable and IMO this is a great idea. Kroger is testing a similar (but less cool) idea. With them, you'll use an app and scan your items as you shop and put them in your bag...wnen you check out, I think you'll just scan a bar code on your phone, get your receipt (maybe) and leave. I'd use that too, though Walmart needs that tech way more than Kroger.

and on that note my wife saves a crap ton at target using their cartwheel app ... me i'm too lazy

Well, I guess I am glad for you that no one knows how much milk you buy a month (unless you use their rewards card, because that is how items are tracked, not the credit card)... I guess it is all about the small battles.

Yea, I never fill in forms for rewards cards and stuff. I do have one grocery store card because if you shop there they don't give you the sale price if you don't let them scan your card. But I got a card without entering any info, well, I did have, I moved and lost it. I never do their surveys to win a free this or that either. All of that crap is designed for tracking purposes. Not that I care if they know how much milk I buy but if I can defeat them at their game I will, just because I can.

Yea, I never fill in forms for rewards cards and stuff. I do have one grocery store card because if you shop there they don't give you the sale price if you don't let them scan your card. But I got a card without entering any info, well, I did have, I moved and lost it. I never do their surveys to win a free this or that either. All of that crap is designed for tracking purposes. Not that I care if they know how much milk I buy but if I can defeat them at their game I will, just because I can.
True, but saving 20 center/gallon on gas is nice and so are those kroger coupons that they send me....for that matter, so are the 2x - 4x fuel points I get for buying gift cards for things like Amazon. Buying a video card? Why not get gas for 80 cents a gallon too? It's not like they can't track me via my credit card (and I sure as hell don't pay cash...give me credit card points/cash back :D

Back