Amazon Testing $7.99 Per Month Prime Membership

So 8 bucks a month = 92 dollars a year? no?

Isn't the annual fee 70? Or did it go up? I never pay attention, I use Amazon so much Prime more than pays for itself compared to pay-shipping-per-order.:D

Isn't the annual fee 70? Or did it go up? I never pay attention, I use Amazon so much Prime more than pays for itself compared to pay-shipping-per-order.:D

Oops, my bad.....8 x 12 = 96!!! Voting scrambled my brain.....:eek:

They are testing per month so that people who don't need year round prime can spend $8 in November and December to do all their Christmas shopping.

Its common practice to charge less for a full year of subscription services rather than month to month.

It's been $79 since I first got it 3 or 4 years ago.

I got it free one year and $40 another. I love Prime, but $79 had me double thinking. It was a good thing they offered it to me for $40.

Considering the season we're about to enter. $8/mo for 2 month could pay for itself. There are often specials that will sell out and you don't have the opportunity to pair the item to qualify for free shipping (toys particularly). There is also more need for movies, etc. for entertainment.

Considering the season we're about to enter. $8/mo for 2 month could pay for itself. There are often specials that will sell out and you don't have the opportunity to pair the item to qualify for free shipping (toys particularly). There is also more need for movies, etc. for entertainment.

Yes. I didn't see where it was month to month, but it's a good idea.

8*12 = $96

Yeah. I fucked up.

They are testing per month so that people who don't need year round prime can spend $8 in November and December to do all their Christmas shopping.

Its common practice to charge less for a full year of subscription services rather than month to month.

Understood. I still think the 79 dollars or whatever it is is a great year around deal.
What Amazon ought to do is allow gifting of the Prime membership.:D

Im always amazed when people are like "OmG no way".

Its obvious this is a great idea for some people.

Myself, I am an amazon junkie all year long, so the annual membership is the way to go.

Plus, I use my ps3 for the prime free streaming. The interface blows away netflix. I hate that piece of shit interface. And the movies are better! I get "newish" movies all the time on amazon prime for free... It's a steal...absolute steal for me. I've got netflix for the depth of content, and amazon prime for the free shipping and the streaming is just a bonus.

Oh and dont forget the $3.99 overnight shipping. I have ordered items that would cost half that membership fee in one overnight shipping charge.

Christmas season $8 a month to not have to leave the %^&*( house and get in all that BS traffic? Oh and you think you will spend less than $8 a month on gas getting to the store and back? GOOD LUCK!

I just wish the streaming movies were available in HD with the Prime membership. Watching them on the TV really highlights the pixelation.

Also, you can kind of gift a Prime membership. I added my wife on as a secondary user for no additional cost. Was thinking of addng my parents as well, but it wouldn't see much use. That Internet thingy is mighty scary to them still.

This could be handy, as I currently am running off of Amazon Prime for Students. I don't look forward to paying a price upward of $70. Month-to-month though, I can do. Especially since shipping is often over $8 for two or three packages anyway. Not to mention two-day shipping ....

I just wish the streaming movies were available in HD with the Prime membership. Watching them on the TV really highlights the pixelation.

Also, you can kind of gift a Prime membership. I added my wife on as a secondary user for no additional cost. Was thinking of addng my parents as well, but it wouldn't see much use. That Internet thingy is mighty scary to them still.

I get them in HD on my ps3. You won't get them in hd if you are watching them on your pc.

Well supersaver shipping is if your purchase is > $25, so it's basically like having Prime. I'd say just group up your purchases?

Oh and dont forget, prime gives you free TWO DAY SHIPPING. This is not the free 4-10 day crap that you might get with regular shipping. They ship incredibly fast. I sometimes get my products in 1 day.

If you buy 3 or 4 things a year, and were to choose two day shipping at regular costs, you would pay for your membership.

Hd ... all day long...

20121013_224817.jpg

prime members don't have a $25 min order. I have ordered something that cost a couple of bucks before and got free 2 day shipping. Not sure how they keep this at $79 personally. I know they don't make any money off my account... lol

Unfortunately, have to have a device other than a PC to be able to get HD. Bah.

amazon is racing to the bottom. They're going to lose revenue on this.
If i had a $79 membership, i would drop it right away and buy just 1-2 months of $8.
So they just lost 80% revenue from people like me. They would have to increase their monthly membership base 8x to make up the difference.

i know a lot of people will opt for this, because they don't need prime shipping for most of the year.

but based on articles I've seen, their main goal is to compete with netflix and hulu with this pricing.
Maybe they won't lose much from shipping costs.

I never bought into Prime as I get most of my items using the Free Shipping method in 2-4 days max...no point to it...an extra day is not a game changer...if they eliminated sales tax for those with Prime I would jump on it

the monthly Prime membership is a great deal...some years I don't buy enough stuff from Amazon to justify Prime but certain months of the year I do which this is great for

I never bought into Prime as I get most of my items using the Free Shipping method in 2-4 days max...no point to it...an extra day is not a game changer..

truth.

they have so many distros around the country, shit gets to you pretty fast anyway.

In california, I've ordered things with regular shipping that would get here in 1 day. They just magically pop up at the nearby UPS or Ontrac warehouse.

of course, now with sales tax, i don't even consider amazon anymore. The last thing I bought, I was able to save $75 in tax.
I'm not reporting this use tax either. California can fuck off and find other sources of revenue, and stop wasting our tax dollars.

"if it doesn't meet my needs it must be stupid"

$79 a year, is a great deal for me. And others.

$8 a month, is a great deal for some

For some people, prime is not a good deal.

It's called options, because not everyone has the same needs.

Because of my Prime membership, it is usually the first place I check for any item. If Amazon has it, it is usually priced very competitive, I know I can return it if there is a problem, and I get great shipping. If they do not have it as a "Prime" item I usually get the item from somewhere else.

People forget that Prime members get free streaming as well. A lot of people like to complain about Prime fees then turn around and subscribe to Netflix. Seems to me that Prime is a much better deal overall.

paid 40$ for a year for me and I love my Prime membership. Streaming movies and free 2-day shipping has paid itself off and then some for me.

This is perfect, thanks Steve! Was going to order a few things but was shy $11 to qualify for free shipping. Now I will have this for black Friday and shipped a few days ssooner, also instead of wasting $11 on some crap I don't need, will have a bunch of hd movies to watch as a bonus.

As much as I order from them, the membership more than pays for itself with just a couple of orders. You can't beat having a full tower case overnighted for just $4. It definitely makes Amazon the first place I look when I want to buy something.

The streaming video is getting better all the time too. I just wish they had a way to watch it on as many devices as Netflix.

I might consider doing this if they take away my $40 student price. There are definitely times when I don't order stuff for months at a time.

The point of this, is so people (like me) who might plan to buy a couple of items from amazon at once, or a month or so plan to buy various things) can use prime for those specific shopping reasons.

I love prime, but I don't constnatly buy things every week/month from amazon so 79 bucks just to save on shipping for a few things here and there is NOT worth it.

However spend 8 bucks, do all my planned shopping and items within a month? Bam, easily worth it.

I'd get Prime and use it for shipping stuff if I had some of that stuff. Err, what's it called. Money!

I noticed no one has mentioned Prime's pre-order benefits you get games and movies delivered to you on release day if you are a Prime member. It's nice knowing the latest movie or game release will be waiting for me when I get home without having to make an extra trip.

You can only borrow one book a month for $7.99? Not exactly going to attract readers with that meager offering.

I noticed no one has mentioned Prime's pre-order benefits you get games and movies delivered to you on release day if you are a Prime member. It's nice knowing the latest movie or game release will be waiting for me when I get home without having to make an extra trip.

You can usually get this without prime, if you pre order it, it costs 99cents though, but still worth it.

You can only borrow one book a month for $7.99? Not exactly going to attract readers with that meager offering.

Yep...that is the reason why people get prime, to read books. All the other aspects are just a big pile of steaming shit. ;) What Amazon did was take the most important part (the free 2 day shipping) and augment it. What this does is provide value to users in other ways while they may not be buying stuff. But when they do buy stuff..the first place they will probably go is Amazon.

I usually do a lot of ordering in 2-3 months of the year, and I would definately take advantage of this. Right now prime isn't worth it to me unless I absolutely need to have something shipped overnight. That link doesn't work for me though, still shows the normal pricing or student pricing if I log in.

amazon is racing to the bottom. They're going to lose revenue on this.
If i had a $79 membership, i would drop it right away and buy just 1-2 months of $8.
So they just lost 80% revenue from people like me. They would have to increase their monthly membership base 8x to make up the difference.

i know a lot of people will opt for this, because they don't need prime shipping for most of the year.

but based on articles I've seen, their main goal is to compete with netflix and hulu with this pricing.
Maybe they won't lose much from shipping costs.

The problem with your statements here is that they lose 80% of revenue from people like you. However, they will gain far more in revenue from those who wouldn't get prime before because it doesn't suit them. Not to mention that those people might then sample the services offered by prime and see how great a deal it really is to them. I first only got Prime because I started buying far more from Amazon, so the deal was 'just' good enough for me at the time. Then I got prime and found out about all the other deals I get having it now. If they had a monthly option before, I would have signed up years ago. So essentially they lost a number of years of my subscription by not having a monthly fee. I know other people who would jump on the chance to get prime for just a few months.

Also, don't forget that there may be many other reasons for this change. For instance, if your prime competitors to streaming are doing monthly services, and you want more people to take note of your offerings, you might offer similar deals. And, they may decide after a bit of the monthly service to retire the per year offering. Or they may change Prime so that it only includes shipping deals and then they offer other deals at subscription costs. There could be any number of reasons for this change that ends up profiting both them and the consumer more.

Think about it this way, with monthly subscriptions they get more people testing it out. With those people testing it out, they get more feedback from their tracking services on what those individuals value the most out of the service. Also with more customers is more chance for surveys and direct customer comments about the service. So really your statement about 'losing revenue' makes absolutely no sense.

the 4 dollar per item overnight shipping has saved me a few times as well

I get alot of the stuff next day anyways since I live 2 hours from a huge warehouse

Back