Amazon Sues Alleged Providers Of Fake Reviews

HardOCP News

[H] News
Amazon has filed suit against five web sites that offer fake reviews for money. Not only does the lawsuit accuse the defendants of taking money for fake reviews, but also trademark infringement and false advertising. I'm not going to link the actual site named in the lawsuit but you can see their ad below:

“To help eliminate the incentives to engage in reviews abuse, we will continue to pursue legal action against the root cause of reviews abuse — the sellers and manufacturers who create the demand for fraudulent services — as well as the ecosystem of individuals and organizations who supply fraudulent reviews in exchange for compensation,” Amazon said in a statement.

The problem is more than the books, or other websites. Half of their products are front loaded with paid reviews. You can tell because they do not have the "Verified Purchase" next to their name.

What gets on my nerves is when you see a product with overwhelming 5 stars and then the last sentence of all the glowing reviews is "I received this product at a significant discount (or complimentary) in exchange for my honest and unbiased review".

It's like the plague.

Amazon.CIS is reported to spam your email from unknown locations and make threats of closing your accounts and the customer can not call them.

This is my take on Amazon

AMAZON ALL YOUR BASE BELONG TO US

What gets on my nerves is when you see a product with overwhelming 5 stars and then the last sentence of all the glowing reviews is "I received this product at a significant discount (or complimentary) in exchange for my honest and unbiased review".

It's like the plague.

It's especially bad on vitamin supplements. Not a single product with 100% authentic reviews from people who paid full price.

The problem is more than the books, or other websites. Half of their products are front loaded with paid reviews. You can tell because they do not have the "Verified Purchase" next to their name.

I am sure companies will also reimburse people who do paid reviews if they buy the product to get the "Verified Purchase" next to their name.

I take as much notice of Amazon reviews now as I do of Ebays.
They are a world of bullshit.
I've seen so many items with over 20 reviews with most being clearly fake.

And I've bought some seriously crap items too.
Luckily I've had the money refunded due to Amazons policy but if you do this too much they shut your account down.
I certainly buy less because I end up not able to trust anything unless I know the product very well.
And I'm not up for return wars.

I'm amazed that those idiots thought that Amazon would just sit back and let them abuse the review system. I'm happy to see Amazon dropping the hammer! :cool:

It's especially bad on vitamin supplements. Not a single product with 100% authentic reviews from people who paid full price.

That's because vitamin suppliments are pretty much all bullshit with no evidence-based claims of efficacy whatsoever (which is why they aren't regulated in the first place). Unless your doctor has you on D3, Iron, or Calcium for a specific reason you almost certainly have no need for suppliments.

That's because vitamin suppliments are pretty much all bullshit with no evidence-based claims of efficacy whatsoever (which is why they aren't regulated in the first place). Unless your doctor has you on D3, Iron, or Calcium for a specific reason you almost certainly have no need for suppliments.

It also doesn't help that a large number of supplements don't actually contain what they say they contain.

Add that to the fact that your body basically passes about 95%+ of the pill and you end up with nothing to show for you spending your money, except having to flush the toilet more often.

It also doesn't help that a large number of supplements don't actually contain what they say they contain.

Add that to the fact that your body basically passes about 95%+ of the pill and you end up with nothing to show for you spending your money, except having to flush the toilet more often.

But it said it would make me have a ten inch penis at the end of the bottle!

Most are, D3, Iron, Magnesium and Calcium are about the only useful ones. I mainly take herbal supplements like Panax Ginseng, Garlic, Flax Oil (Omega), Hawthorne. I've had great results from these. Black seed oil is pretty good for hair growth. But don't read the Amazon reviews.

Most are, D3, Iron, Magnesium and Calcium are about the only useful ones. I mainly take herbal supplements like Panax Ginseng, Garlic, Flax Oil (Omega), Hawthorne. I've had great results from these. Black seed oil is pretty good for hair growth. But don't read the Amazon reviews.
Unless you are deficient in anything, supplements are useless.

Unless you are deficient in anything, supplements are useless.

Even if they weren't how could user reviews help really? Sure, review on communication, customer service but the product???

You can't really measure vitamins (that I know of) in any sort of measurable way in the home. Everything would be subjective.

I suppose... reviews could include size of pill, and if you get constipated(or loose)? lol

Even if they weren't how could user reviews help really? Sure, review on communication, customer service but the product???

You can't really measure vitamins (that I know of) in any sort of measurable way in the home. Everything would be subjective.

I suppose... reviews could include size of pill, and if you get constipated(or loose)? lol

"My doctor said my labs were coming back low in magnesium, and told me to get on a magnesium supplement. I took this supplement and my magnesium on my labs has been great since."

Last edited:

Lol as long as you didn't die I guess that deserves a few stars righ? :)

It would seem pretty trivial for them to add a verified purchase review filter option.

It would seem pretty trivial for them to add a verified purchase review filter option.

Yeah, but they could still be paid for reviews.

All they would have to do would be actually purchase it with their account and then get reimbursed for the product by the people that are paying them to do the reviews.

A lot of the Amazon reviews just don't even sound right. The fake ones are always too....something. Either too polished, or too much effort to actually come off as a knucklehead.

Gawd that video was so sleazy. Glad Amazon is going after these companies.

Back