Amazon Starts Shipping the Fire TV Stick

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Amazon bills the Fire TV Stick as their fastest and most successful product launch ever and announced on Friday that the Fire Stick will begin shipping immediately. Preorders will come first, but you can place your order and wait in line for shipment on a first come, first served basis.

Fire TV Stick has been our most successful device launch ever. We built a ton of these, but customer demand still outpaced our supply.

I received mine already, and it performs quite well. Setup is very easy, as it can detect all the wifi networks in your area (2.4 and 5.0 Ghz), and you just enter the wifi password right on the device. Amazon prime is automatically setup for you, while all your Netflix information can be entered directly on the device.

WatchESPN works well, though you do have to go to an external website using a computer/tablet/smartphone to get it set up.

For $19, this device performs as well as my Roku 3, though I still have apps on my Roku that will prevent me from making the FireStick my primary device (Crunchyroll and TabloTv).

Mine has a ship date of dec 15, and i like ordered within an hour of the announcement...

I received mine already, and it performs quite well. Setup is very easy, as it can detect all the wifi networks in your area (2.4 and 5.0 Ghz), and you just enter the wifi password right on the device. Amazon prime is automatically setup for you, while all your Netflix information can be entered directly on the device.

WatchESPN works well, though you do have to go to an external website using a computer/tablet/smartphone to get it set up.

For $19, this device performs as well as my Roku 3, though I still have apps on my Roku that will prevent me from making the FireStick my primary device (Crunchyroll and TabloTv).

Had mine since yesterday. It chokes on wifi since it doesn't seem to be able to automatically degrade service to compensate for throughput problems. It also knew who I was without touching it. So it did some local network scan and recognized my IP or read something off my laptop or a Roku with Amazon Video on it.

Roku is better compared to a Amazon Fire TV isn't it? This is more comparable to a chrome cast

I mean if it compares to your Roku then it's pretty awesome for $19

Roku is better compared to a Amazon Fire TV isn't it? This is more comparable to a chrome cast

I mean if it compares to your Roku then it's pretty awesome for $19

I don't have mine yet but to my understanding this is more in the league of the set-top boxes as its pretty much a mini FireTV. Now Roku vs Fire TV that probably comes solely down to personal preference.

It also knew who I was without touching it. So it did some local network scan and recognized my IP or read something off my laptop or a Roku with Amazon Video on it.

They configure it before they send it to you. They do the same thing with a Kindle too when you buy it, unless it is specified as a gift.

So no creepy network magic going on.

They configure it before they send it to you. They do the same thing with a Kindle too when you buy it, unless it is specified as a gift.

So no creepy network magic going on.

As long as it didn't go to the wrong place.

Mine is supposed to be here on Tuesday. I'm going to try it on a TV that has been using a Chromecast. I like the Chromecast well enough (although sometimes have to power off/on to get it to sync with devices) - so it will be a tough challenge.

Can you confirm/deny Plex is on it?

I have 4 on pre order.. waiting anxiously to get them in service and see how the compare on plex vs my roku 2's.

Also looks like you can buy them at best buy for 25 bucks already

Also, I have Plex Pass which entitles me to get a free Plex app. I already bought Plex on iOS. I can get it free from the Google Play store but I can't get it free from the Amazon store. Amazon is happy to sell it to me for $4.99 but since I prefer XBMC anyway I side loaded that for free instead.

Sweet. I wonder when I will get mine. I need to huck these roku 3's and WDTV boxes.

Got one for free from my boss. It's pretty cool, though I have an HTPC that performs the same tasks (and more). I could see this being great for a "dumb" TV in the bedroom or something.

Got one for free from my boss. It's pretty cool, though I have an HTPC that performs the same tasks (and more). I could see this being great for a "dumb" TV in the bedroom or something.

Precisely :)

Unfortunately, I didn't catch the $19 special until the second day, so I currently have an estimated delivery date of Friday, January 9, 2015... :rolleyes: At least this should be a decent upgrade over the Chromecast for my dumb 39" LCD!

And no shits were given about my opinion anywhere on this thread.
There, FIFY...

Back