Amazon starts Instant Video for PS3 today

Sixthsense

I Suck Fat Ones
I'm sure there are quite a few PS3 owners here that would be interested in this.

"Amazon Instant Video is now playing on the PlayStation 3 system. Register your PlayStation 3 today to start watching over 120,000 movies and TV shows, available to rent or purchase. Prime members can also watch thousands of these videos at no additional cost"

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/122/1222195p1.html

I saw this on FB today. Too bad I have a Roku that does them all.

Sony sure loves to entice content providers to there platform. How about they focus on releasing better first party titles instead of worrying about which platform Amazon Prime is going to be on?

I noticed this too. I tried it out when I got home from work. Setup was nice and playback was good. I'm glad it is here. I have been using Playon for various things over the years, every tiem they offer another app for the PS3 PlayOn has one less reason for existing. Too bad for them really, but it was a pretty janky system.

Sony sure loves to entice content providers to there platform. How about they focus on releasing better first party titles instead of worrying about which platform Amazon Prime is going to be on?

They have the best first party titles of this generation. Can't really argue that even...

Just installed the app. Looks good, however, I wish it would show the movies I have in Amazon's cloud.

THIS IS AWESOME!
I didn't know about this until I was about to go on Netflix to watch something and I saw a *new* amazon icon!

This really makes the PS3 the best streamer for me. I may get another PS3 now!

That's .. very much individual taste right there. I would say the 360 does.

Dude seriously....I play my 360 10 x more than my PS3, but this one's obvious.

Microsoft

United States
343 Industries – Halo series
Good Science Studio – Kinect Adventures, Kinect Fun Lab
Turn 10 Studios – Forza Motorsport series
Twisted Pixel Games – The Gunstringer, 'Splosion Man, Ms. Splosion Man, The Maw, Comic Jumper: The Adventures of Captain Smiley
Xbox Live Productions – South Park Let's Go Tower Defense Play! ,South Park: Tenorman's Revenge

Europe
Lionhead Studios – Fable series, Black & White series
Rare Ltd. – Kinect Sports, Banjo-Kazooie series, Viva Piñata, Perfect Dark series

Canada
BigPark – Kinect Joy Ride

Sony

Asia
SCE Japan Studio – Ape Escape, Siren, LocoRoco, Patapon, Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, The Last Guardian
Polyphony Digital – Gran Turismo series, Tourist Trophy

North America
Naughty Dog – Crash Bandicoot series, Jak and Daxter series, Uncharted series, The Last of Us - Also home of the ICE Team
SCE Santa Monica Studio – Kinetica, God of War series
SCE San Diego Studio – MLB: The Show, ModNation Racers
SCE Bend Studio – Syphon Filter, Resistance: Retribution, Uncharted: Golden Abyss
SCE Foster City Studio - supported studio for SCE Worldwide Studios
Sucker Punch Productions[3] – Sly Cooper series, Infamous series

Europe
SCE London Studio – SingStar, EyeToy, PlayStation Home
SCE Cambridge Studio – MediEvil, Killzone
SCE Studio Liverpool – Wipeout, F1
Evolution Studios – World Rally Championship, MotorStorm series
Guerrilla Games – Killzone series
Media Molecule – LittleBigPlanet series

That's .. very much individual taste right there. I would say the 360 does.

After owning both systems for awhile, PS3 all the way for me. For example, Starhawk is going to be one of the best games this year easy. Sure it won't get the hype and press and sales as another Halo but that doesn't make it any less true.

I'm going to check this out tonight to see if it will be a viable option to add a second one in our bedroom. We currently use a second generation Apple TV the most for Netflix, a Toshiba Blu Ray player and sometimes the Amazon streaming app on the NX700 itself. This makes finding the right remote a "fun" game some nights while trying to find something to watch...

Well I did test it out and a few things I like and didn't like.

It seems much easier than the other two devices I've tried with Amazon instant streaming (NX700 and TiVO Premiere). I thought the UI was great and it was easy to search.

I had the PS3 on WiFi for the initial show I watched. The quality was very good on HD but I was getting a lot of pauses to buffering and at one time it did stop and switch to the optimized for smooth playback. There was a lot more noticable pixelation when it did that. I do think I've had more problems with Netflix streaming in the past on the PS3 while it is on WiFi than the AppleTV in the bedroom when it was on WiFi and further away from the AP. I don't think it's my connection (12/1.5Mbps FTTP U-Verse) so I'm going to try swapping the patch cable from the 360 to the PS3 tonight to see if it fixes the issue for me. If it does I guess I'll be picking up a 4 port switch since I don't really want to snake 2 more cables to the living room.

I still don't like that I have to enter my PIN every time I want to watch an Amazon Prime eligible title. Sure that would be nice in case it's something to pay for but not for something free. Is there a way to change this setting within the app or in my Amazon account?

I totally forgot I started this thread, I personally have not tried it myself as I use ps3 media server with a modified channel plugin to watch TV streams from the official network sites. I believe there are a couple episodes to watch for free when I initially watched the Amazon application. I guess I'll take advantage of that before renting. I'm debating whether I need Amazon prime at this time

Back