Amazon Shipping Has Gotten Slower For Non-Prime Members

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
I do not think this is a new development, as non-subscribers have regularly complained about packages being delayed.

…if you’re ordering something from Amazon and you’re not a Prime member, it might take longer to receive it now than it did a year ago. “They’re investing heavily in Prime and that’s their focus,” Hills says. “That’s where they’re putting all their investments.” Along with Amazon’s Prime focus is also the fact that the rest of the industry has upped their game to compete.

Last edited:
meanwhile bestbuy has free expedited shipping on everything ive looked at.

I used to get all my pet supplies from Amazon, because it was nice with the "free" 2-day shipping. But lately their packaging sucks, and I actually get free 1-day shipping from Chewy's who I noticed has a system that mirrors whatever Amazon's current price is (and I don't have to pay $100 a year for that free shipping). I noticed the other day when the litter was $15.04 lowered in price at the exact same time Amazon lowered theirs to that price. ;)

And with more stores using one-click Visa checkout and the like, its no longer a hassle having to fill in lots of info and what not that Amazon used to spare you.

Amazon has to be careful with their profit margins, as if they can't win in price, people can shop elsewhere in a heartbeat.

My prime expired and I'm not renewing. I don't need prime video and all this other nonsense.

I'm a prime member and it seems like amazon has gotten better and worse at shipping to me. Sometimes I get things a day earlier than expected and sometimes a day later. I also ordered a car part that was maybe $8 and when it didn't come found out they cancelled it without notifying me and the price went up on it $4. I emailed them about it and never got a reply.

I've noticed on Prime Pantry they've started using USPS for shipping. Things take about a week instead of three days like it used to be. I wish they'd focus on the shipping aspect of prime instead of the video streaming crap that I don't even use.

eh.... don't want to pay for prime, then don't fucking complain about slow packages, if you're getting free shipping for spending $35 or more, you're still getting free shipping, it just you are not a priority. Want to be a priority? Pay for prime.

I used to get all my pet supplies from Amazon, because it was nice with the "free" 2-day shipping. But lately their packaging sucks, and I actually get free 1-day shipping from Chewy's who I noticed has a system that mirrors whatever Amazon's current price is (and I don't have to pay $100 a year for that free shipping). I noticed the other day when the litter was $15.04 lowered in price at the exact same time Amazon lowered theirs to that price. ;)

And with more stores using one-click Visa checkout and the like, its no longer a hassle having to fill in lots of info and what not that Amazon used to spare you.

Amazon has to be careful with their profit margins, as if they can't win in price, people can shop elsewhere in a heartbeat.

My prime expired and I'm not renewing. I don't need prime video and all this other nonsense.

Yup I switched to them as well and Amazon honestly has gotten worse of the past year in everything I have purchased from them.

Before I figured out use my wife's prime shipping with my account I got her some books for Christmas. Ordered them directly from Amazon on the morning of Dec 11th and used their free shipping (again not prime), took them until December 16 to even ship them, then took all the way to the 22nd to receive it. These were all in the same wearhouse too, there was no need for them to wait 5 days to even ship my items. Since I have been using prime I have not encountered this issue.

I have Prime and the shipping has gotten slower for me too. Until last year, I could order something with 2 day shipping and have it in hand 2 days later. Now stuff usually doesn't even ship until 2 or 3 days later and the "2 day" shipping usually takes 3-4 days. So it's a week after placing the order before I receive it. Amazon used to have a question about "Did you receive your order when you expected?" on their order feedback page. But I noticed about a month ago they removed the question. Guess they didn't want to hear about late shipments anymore. If it wasn't for Prime Video I would just drop my Prime Membership.

eh.... don't want to pay for prime, then don't fucking complain about slow packages, if you're getting free shipping for spending $35 or more, you're still getting free shipping, it just you are not a priority. Want to be a priority? Pay for prime.

The complaint is that they've slowed down non-prime shipping. I have prime, but you odn't have to be that old to remember when Amazon shipped virtually all items the day they were ordered. After a few years of Prime, they quit doing that. Orders that typically arrived within 1-3 days took 5-7 days. Non-prime members aren't asking for UPS 2nd day, but it'd be nice if they actually shipped the product the day you ordered it (or even the day after you ordered it, which is still slower than Amazon was 3 or 4 years ago)

I placed an order on Wednesday. Still in the "preparing to ship" queue. Not a prime and chose free shipping.

The item is clearly shipping from the local center as it says "should ship Feb 1st, est. arrival Feb 2nd". Like they're punishing me with an artificial delay because I'm not prime and chose free shipping.

Maybe region\area specific issue, with Prime anything sold by Amazon has always taken 2 days based on my last 6 months of purchase.

We dropped prime because we realized we were making a lot more random / heat of the moment purchases. Which greatly helped in us NOT doing that once we dropped prime.

A few weeks ago we ordered 3 things and it literally took 12 days to get those items.

Back in 2013 it didn't take nearly as long, about 4 or 5 days to get out orders. Amazon is of course illegally gaming the system to push people toward prime. And we all know they had their lawyers come in and make sure what they are doing isn't illegal on paper.

So, we no longer look to Amazon for our purchases. But that's ok. It's clear they are not interested in our business and there are other companies out there.

What's funny is we live close to two HUGE Amazon fulfillment centers. One here in Kansas City and one in Topeka, Kansas.

They are a slimy company now in our eyes and I doubt I will have anything nice to say about them from here on out.

i dont have prime and dont plan on getting it also. its ok if they prolong my "free shipping" because some local stores will price match amazon and newegg and i can get locally and have it that day. im glad local stores price match as i dont have to wait for shipping.

I pay for prime and I will complain. The service has gotten progressively worse. You acting like an asshat won't change that.

Keep in mind they are in the process (possibly just did it) of cancelling their contracts with UPS and looking to expand Amazon be a shipping courier.

I'm a prime member and I usually order stuff from them that are time sensitive and they've been missing the mark. When they miss the mark, I call and request credit onto my account.

We dropped prime because we realized we were making a lot more random / heat of the moment purchases. Which greatly helped in us NOT doing that once we dropped prime.

A few weeks ago we ordered 3 things and it literally took 12 days to get those items.

Back in 2013 it didn't take nearly as long, about 4 or 5 days to get out orders. Amazon is of course illegally gaming the system to push people toward prime. And we all know they had their lawyers come in and make sure what they are doing isn't illegal on paper.

So, we no longer look to Amazon for our purchases. But that's ok. It's clear they are not interested in our business and there are other companies out there.

What's funny is we live close to two HUGE Amazon fulfillment centers. One here in Kansas City and one in Topeka, Kansas.

They are a slimy company now in our eyes and I doubt I will have anything nice to say about them from here on out.
I'm on the same boat and the slow down is obvious and seems intentional.
Amazon is no longer my first choice for anything. Used to be the solid first choice if not sole choice. Walmart is competing, target etc.

I have never been without prime since it began. I buy everything from Amazon at lower prices than local stores and free delivery, often the next day. I get the membership price back in less than a month and we love the added option of the videos to compliment netflix.
I buy deodorant, toothpaste, snacks, drinks, all the household goods, etc. and think it's great I don't have to go out in the traffic unless it's something I really want to go do, and shopping isn't one of them.

Show shipping, tax, poor packaging when they finally do ship...it's cool Amason, bby, wally world, microcenter etc are happy to fulfill my orders and PM you. Plus they have b&m locations if I want things same day.

I still look at Amason for reviews, but those are going downhill too.

I quit prime and noticed the shipping delays big time. They hold the packages sometimes for 2 weeks and then ship them. It'll show they're in stock and it ships from Amazon's warehouse, but not after a substantial delay.

This is a poor practice by Amazon and I often will find alternative stores that offer free shipping etc. Tired of Amazon treating me as an unwanted customer because I don't want to pay their package ransom.

I'd still rather buy from Amazon.

Yeah, best buy charged me a restock fee once years ago when I bought a Nikon Camera from them and returned it for a better one, I could walk over and put it back on the shelf and they wanted a restock fee, never again, BB.

I too have prime but had noticed before that they held packages for 7-10 days before shipping them out. What kind of shit is that? If you buy something on almost any other etailer they will ship the package with in a few days. For me it wasn't the speed of the shipping (ie ground) it was that they purposely took their sweet ass time to ship it. Shady tactics.

Everything I order in the Central Florida area is on time or early. Free or no rush shipping usually takes quite a bit longer and I think it's so they can combine your other purchases into one shipment if you place another order.

Yeah, best buy charged me a restock fee once years ago when I bought a Nikon Camera from them and returned it for a better one, I could walk over and put it back on the shelf and they wanted a restock fee, never again, BB.

BestBuy no longer has restocking fees AFAIK.

BestBuy no longer has restocking fees AFAIK.

Best buy is the f***ing devil. I don't buy shit from them unless I'm in a real pinch and they happen to have it on the shelf. Then I enjoy the deep dicking I get as it's usually 20% more.

prime is a scam and everyone fell for it.

but wait, ultra-prime is right around the corner for only twice the price.

I just hate that Newegg and Amazon have started handing off their packages to USPS as the final step.

Best buy is the f***ing devil. I don't buy shit from them unless I'm in a real pinch and they happen to have it on the shelf. Then I enjoy the deep dicking I get as it's usually 20% more.

You must enjoy it. Otherwise you'd price match to amazon (or Newegg or...)

Bestbuy said:
Price Match Guarantee
We won't be beat on price.
We'll match the product prices of key online and local competitors.

The Details:

At the time of sale, we price match all local retail competitors (including their online prices) and we price match products shipped from and sold by these major online retailers: Amazon.com, Bhphotovideo.com, Crutchfield.com, Dell.com, HP.com, Newegg.com, and [strike=]TigerDirect.com[/s].
We match BestBuy.com prices on in-store purchases and in-store prices on BestBuy.com purchases.
If we lower our price during the return and exchange period, we will match our lower price, upon request.

It's less of a scam with the non shipping items, but if you only use the shipping, you better order a shit load of small orders to make it worthwhile.

Yeah this has been going on for quite some time. Seems Amazon takes it's time to ship non-prime orders to make prime orders appear that much faster.

I too have prime but had noticed before that they held packages for 7-10 days before shipping them out. What kind of shit is that? If you buy something on almost any other etailer they will ship the package with in a few days. For me it wasn't the speed of the shipping (ie ground) it was that they purposely took their sweet ass time to ship it. Shady tactics.
That behavior stops after you cancel a few orders with the note being you did it because of delayed shipping. They get the message quick. Anything in stock should ship the same day. Period. Christ, they have machines picking the orders and putting it in the boxes. No excuse for delay other than doing it on purpose.

I live 40 minutes outside of the city and have basic shopping choices, yet Amazon has free same day delivery for my area. Prime is an excellent deal for me.

I live 40 minutes outside of the city and have basic shopping choices, yet Amazon has free same day delivery for my area. Prime is an excellent deal for me.

Me too, but most of the time, they don't have what I want and it's easier to either order it from the main site or get it from Best Buy or Fry's. I take that back...it's always easier, thus I've never used Prime Now, despite it's availability.

Yeah we buy tons of little random shit from Prime all the time. With two little kids and full time jobs finding time to shop for whatever is a pain in the ass. Prime here in the CA Bay Area is super fast and often same day which is amazing.

I remember pre prime days Amazon was slow as a molasses on a winters day and I always bought from Newegg for that reason. This was like 4 or 5 years ago. So I guess nothing has changed...

Been using Amazon for years. Have never had a single problem with them their delivery speeds or their pricing. Spend about 10k a year there on average and have only had 1 item that had to be returned.

I used my wife's account that isn't on prime and the items shipped that day and arrived 3 days later. My mother in law who uses Amazon on occasion and isn't a prime member gets almost all of her packages within 3-5 days. Walmart.com and newegg have been the worst online services I've ever used. newegg literally ruined an entire Christmas about 6 years ago by shipping the wrong items, broken items, and didn't deliver a speaker set and refused to dsay anything about it other than issue a refund what channel took over a month of me calling to get it done. Best Buy has been great to use as well as Amazon, I just tend to use whoever is cheapest with free shipping now but both Walmart and newegg will never see another cent of my business again. Worst customer service and shipping debacles ever when they get used.

Back