Amazon SanDisk Ultra 200GB Micro SD 99$

The 64GB cards are the best price per GB.

But yeah, crazy that you can get 200GB in a microSD card.

Fry's will have 64GB cards tomorrow (Thanksgiving) for $15 with their promo code thing you get when you sign up by email, think I'll grab two of 'em (1 per email so I have several set up for such purposes). I know that people that purchased the LG V10 smartphone recently are taking LG up on their free bonus bundle with a spare battery/charger/case/200GB microSD card too. There's a thread over at the XDA Developers forum where some folks did benchmarks and it's a typical Class 10 card with write speeds around 14-15MB/s so nothing really amazing, just a big ass storage card.

$99 ain't bad for it I suppose but soon enough we'll have even larger cards and the prices just keep coming down as the technology continues to improve and mature.

But yes, 200GB of storage space (works out to like 186GB of actual storage after formatting) in something the size of a fingernail - and the the actual storage device itself is embedded in the plastic microSD housing so it's even smaller is pretty cool. I figure within 2-3 years we'll see terabyte sized microSD cards, maybe sooner.

Fry's will have 64GB cards tomorrow (Thanksgiving) for $15 with their promo code thing you get when you sign up by email, think I'll grab two of 'em (1 per email so I have several set up for such purposes). I know that people that purchased the LG V10 smartphone recently are taking LG up on their free bonus bundle with a spare battery/charger/case/200GB microSD card too. There's a thread over at the XDA Developers forum where some folks did benchmarks and it's a typical Class 10 card with write speeds around 14-15MB/s so nothing really amazing, just a big ass storage card.

$99 ain't bad for it I suppose but soon enough we'll have even larger cards and the prices just keep coming down as the technology continues to improve and mature.

But yes, 200GB of storage space (works out to like 186GB of actual storage after formatting) in something the size of a fingernail - and the the actual storage device itself is embedded in the plastic microSD housing so it's even smaller is pretty cool. I figure within 2-3 years we'll see terabyte sized microSD cards, maybe sooner.

I could not find the 64GB microsd card for 15$ :( Only see 32GB for 12$ for patriot card.

It is pretty impressive for the size.

One thing I'd suggest though is to do a full card check as soon as you can. The % amount of faulty cards I've been getting keeps increasing all the time. Brand doesn't seem to matter.

I'm scared to have that much data in something that's so easy to lose.

If you are scared to lose something so precious it should a first priority to back it up somewhere that gives you a piece of mind. Just saying.

My entire music collection on something the size of my fingernail. That is incredible. My thesis back in 2003 was how electronics keeps shrinking and storage capacity would grow. I didn't imagine it would happen this soon.

Btw, Chase freedom has 10% off @ amazon so that would make it $89.99 for this card.

With that being said, I want something faster. I'm tempted to go sandisk extreme pro or extreme plus. Doesn't seem like much difference in specs. For the 64GB, the pro is $50 @ zon, and the plus I think is $30.

Last edited:
Btw, Chase freedom has 10% off @ amazon so that would make it $89.99 for this card.

With that being said, I want something faster. I'm tempted to go sandisk extreme pro or extreme plus. Doesn't seem like much difference in specs. For the 64GB, the pro is $50 @ zon, and the plus I think is $30.

Try b&h . the 128G microsdxc PNY which have maximum write speed up to 60MB/s cost at only 39$.

Last edited:
wondering if something like this could be used in a surface pro to install programs, or would it be wayy too slow? Can't change the ssd on surface pros

wondering if something like this could be used in a surface pro to install programs, or would it be wayy too slow? Can't change the ssd on surface pros

yup

I use a 128Gig one on my Venue 11 Pro and it stores my movies and the application to view them. For small programs the speed is acceptable but I would not run big ones off of it.

No, check the Amazon fulfilled option.. Ships in 2 to 4 weeks, still at 99 dollars.

Means they are really holding back on what could fit in a 2.5" drive.
Well, consider that they are now up to 16TB (maybe more since last I checked) and all the additional electronics required to manage all those connections and uh... I think it's pretty difficult to argue they are "holding back".

I'm no expert though and would love a deeper explanation either way.

Back