Amazon Sandisk Ultra 2 960GB $199.99

480GB for only $109 if you don't need/want a really large SSD ain't half bad either.

Yeah there really isn't that much of a difference in speed unless you are doing seriously massive writes (i.e. photoshop). Wonder how much faster your PS4 will work with it though

Yeah there really isn't that much of a difference in speed unless you are doing seriously massive writes (i.e. photoshop). Wonder how much faster your PS4 will work with it though

They say it is faster but not by much because of SATA 2. Somewhere around 20-30%. But i did see some youtube videos and for something large that takes a minute on SSD but like 1:20 on default HDD. So a good 20-30 seconds here and there for large load times. 100 dollar premium over 1TB SSHD or 7200 rpm HDD for additional 10-20 seconds shaved here and there and to run cooler. I guess the worth of that value depends on the person. But for something like GTA V which loads almost 40 minutes saving almost 10 minutes is pretty big.

Last edited:
Came close to ordering it, but the EVO deal took me over the edge, this drive even though cheap doesn't seem to be the best pick of the litter anyway even on sale.

ssd failure rate is still too high for my liking

I keep 60-120 primary drive ssd and everything else on reliable 1TB WD blues

If the newegg price makes it to 1pm today, visa checkout becomes active for $25 off $200

use code VCOBF15

$175 is definitely hot if you want one

I thought the SSD failure rate was significantly less than 1/2 of the expected failure rate of a spinner. And SSD have more than double the expected lifetime of a spinner.

Last edited:
This is a great deal.. I just got around to replacing the 750gb spinner in my laptop with the crucial refurb 960 and it's a world of difference. Every time I un rar a file I think to myself "why didn't I make this change sooner"

Great deal, thanks OP. However, I do not need it nor do I need to spend the money on it! Arrrgghhhh.... :D

I keep 60-120 primary drive ssd and everything else on reliable 1TB WD blues

I've had far more hdd failures than ssd failures.

Out of the 16 hard drives I have had in the last 5 years, I have had 4 fail.

Out of the 8 ssds I have had in the last 5 years, I only had 1 failure which was a pos sandforce drive that never worked right from the begining and got sent back within 30 days of buying it.

I've had far more hdd failures than ssd failures.

I've never had a 1TB WD Blue fail, it is a single platter drive and runs very quiet and cool.

I am going to bet most of those hdd failures were seagate.

I've only used SSD for a short while but I've had usb drives fail left and right and sd cards too - most went into read-only but not all, some were lost.

I've never had a 1TB WD Blue fail, it is a single platter drive and runs very quiet and cool.

I am going to bet most of those hdd failures were seagate.

I've only used SSD for a short while but I've had usb drives fail left and right and sd cards too - most went into read-only but not all, some were lost.

I agree. I use WD Black HD (back-up now) & they have never given me one issue. I would never consider a Seagate HD myself. This deal is very worthy. Too bad I don't need one @ this point.

I agree. I use WD Black HD (back-up now) & they have never given me one issue. I would never consider a Seagate HD myself. This deal is very worthy. Too bad I don't need one @ this point.
Need?

BAH!!

This is [H].

The place where want is never superseded by need.

:D

If the newegg price makes it to 1pm today, visa checkout becomes active for $25 off $200

use code VCOBF15

was about to jump on it ...but the code doesn't seem active yet

I'm guessing that 13:00 some timezone other than EST

Nice to see my wish of sub-$200 960-1000GB capacity SSDs by end of year come true!

Yes but money very often supersedes both want and need :D
That's why God gave us two kidneys, lungs, and eyes. We can get by with just one of each after selling the others. :p

was about to jump on it ...but the code doesn't seem active yet

I'm guessing that 13:00 some timezone other than EST
Give it another try after 1pm PST/4pm EST.

Last edited:
although marketed as budget drives, these are great performers (500+MB/sec read and write). I've used these in a few builds and they are extremely consistent. I jumped on the 480Gb version yesterday.

I just purchased the 1TB version for $189.99 at newegg with the $10 promotion gift card that they emailed me today. I'll use this in my linux based pvr as the OS drive and it will also hold my roaming profiles for the samba/windows domain. I no longer have a visa card. I assume that is required for visa checkout?

I just got my 960GB Ultra II, from Amazon, and it was already opened. It seems to have a partition, but Windows doesn't recognize it. You guys think I should just return it, or should I take my chances?

but Windows doesn't recognize it

Possible Linux or OSX partition?

What does the PowerOnHours say in the SMART? On windows you can use CrystalDiskInfo to get that.

Possible Linux or OSX partition?

What does the PowerOnHours say in the SMART? On windows you can use CrystalDiskInfo to get that.

Thanks for the advice.

It says 7 hours and I've had it on maybe 1. 100% spare blocks remaining. Media wear out indicator 0.20%. Reassigned sector count 0.

I just got my 960GB Ultra II, from Amazon, and it was already opened. It seems to have a partition, but Windows doesn't recognize it. You guys think I should just return it, or should I take my chances?
RMA for exchange or refund. I wouldn't install that in my PC.

regarding the visa check out code it works. but it looks like I overlooked the fact that its $25 off of $200.

the drive is only 199.99 so the discount is only $10, I might have to find some cheap filler item to get to the $25 discount

use code VCOBF15

Works! Thanks!

Looks like you can combine visa checkout with amex for $150 after credit. Too bad i didn't wait. Oh well.

Return it, I've gotten a few used items from amazon sold as new, and the ones I kept all died in less than a year, though all were under $50. For $200 I'd want a new one.

You guys think I should just return it, or should I take my chances?
Ever since I got a damaged video card from Newegg 4 years ago which was sold as 'new', I always send a message that I'm purchasing a NEW item and anything that appears opened or used will be automatically returned with a complaint sent to my credit card bank as well, and this message gets sent to amazon and all other vendors that I purchase from. Periodically I read about people here and on other forums who order stuff with the intention of just trying it and then send stuff back. While I can certainly understand if there's something wrong with the product, it does kind of bother me that they think that the merchant should have to bear the brunt of the cost of people doing that, and wind up selling the returned item as an open box discounted one just because somebody wanted to take it home and see how much they could overclock it, then send it back.

BTW, I haven't received anything used or open box when it was supposed to be new, since. Vendors apparently understand that something opened already will be returned so they don't sent it.

Send it back. YOu paid for a new one, you should get a new one.

Back