[Amazon] Samsung 840 EVO 1TB $469.99

I know the EVOs are great drives, but just to throw another option out there the Crucial M500 960GB drive is $439.99 right now too.

Wonder what's holding up SSDs larger than 1TB? Just the fact that not many people would buy them due to price? I so badly want a 2TB SSD for my Steam drive.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Wonder what's holding up SSDs larger than 1TB? Just the fact that not many people would buy them due to price? I so badly want a 2TB SSD for my Steam drive.

Because NAND doesnt just keep scaling indefinitely

Because NAND doesnt just keep scaling indefinitely

Intel has 2TB drives planned for this year (as early as Q2); guess I just need to be patient. I don't even want to guess at the initial prices but at least it'll pave the way for other high capacity drives.

I know the EVOs are great drives, but just to throw another option out there the Crucial M500 960GB drive is $439.99 right now too.

Because there isn't much demand from the consumer.
How many enthusiasts have even heard of OCZ's Revodrive?

The knowledge and performance is there, it is just being targeted at the higher profit margins that actually has need for it, ex Fusion-IO.

I'd imagine the cost is a huge factor right now. I am wondering though if prices will fluctuate like RAM does. If a new drive comes out or if the sizes start skyrocketing then we'll face some increase back to when they first started coming out.

I'm always looking and thinking .50 cents a GB is ideal right now. I wish I could drop the money on this EVO or the Crucial. I have a 120GB Hyper X for my OS and a few things and recently bought the 240GB Crucial, with no real use for it currently.

Buy two 1TB SSD's and have a steam library on each? Or you could use RAID.

Just bought the 750GB version a little over a week ago for $350. It's only 1/3 full at this point, but hmm .........

Buy two 1TB SSD's and have a steam library on each? Or you could use RAID.

Don't think it hasn't crossed my mind. :) In reality, it'd be asinine to spend $800+ just to have my games load a little quicker. Cool nonetheless, though.

I think they are near hitting a wall. I think I heard that starting next gen or possibly the following, all flagship SSD drives will essentially be raid on a chip to increase capacity and speed for 2.5" drives.

More expensive in the USA than a PS4, nice lulz. More expensive than a lot of GPU's too.

More expensive in the USA than a PS4, nice lulz. More expensive than a lot of GPU's too.

That's quite the astute observation. :confused:

I picked up the 750 GB a couple weeks ago for $350 on Amazon. It's definitely a wicked fast drive and noticeably faster than the other 3 SSDs I have in my other PCs.

Back