Amazon’s First Ever Prime Day Breaks Global Records

HardOCP News

[H] News
Although Amazon's first ever Prime Day was a let down for most of you guys, the company says it broke all kinds of records.

Amazon today announced it sold more units on Prime Day than the biggest Black Friday ever and had more new members try Prime worldwide than any single day in Amazon history. Customers ordered 34.4 million items across Prime-eligible countries, breaking all Black Friday records with 398 items ordered per second. Prime Day was also a great savings day – members globally saved millions on deals. Customers ordered hundreds of thousands of Amazon devices – making it the largest device sales day ever worldwide.

Well, yeah, item wise it was probably a lot, since it was like 15% off a used chapstick, half a green crayon, and a mustache comb. ;)

While most of it was junk...I did snag an Xbox One 1TB Halo Edition, with 12 months of gold, and Borderlands Handsome Jack collection for $400....so im happy with that deal.

Is there a law that punishes companies for falsifying reports such as press releases? Because I seriously find it hard to believe any of this shit based on Prime Day's reception.

I didn't see anything that interested me and a lot of things were marked up so they could pretend they were great deals.

Is there a law that punishes companies for falsifying reports such as press releases? Because I seriously find it hard to believe any of this shit based on Prime Day's reception.

Actually yes ... it is extremely illegal and Bezos would go to jail ... unless he has his "soap on a rope" subscription up to date that could be a shocking experience :p

Prime Day accomplished exactly what it set out to do: get millions of suckers to sign up for Prime :p.

I bought some video editing software for about $50 less then i was expecting to pay. The funny part is soon as the deal came live i purchased it, and it said 32% of the deal has been claimed. 10 minutes later i did a refresh and it was still at 32% which leads me to believe they only had 3 copies of that software.

The 50" 4k samsung with 10 movies for $999 seemed decent. i read they sold 1200 of them in 10 minutes.

wtf did they sell???
THATS what I want to see.
I jumped to my wishlist as soon as I got to work and was disappointed to see nothing was on sale.

So now that they got 24572457 new Prime members we can expect them to increase the membership fees again next year?

It almost made me cancel my prime subscription at how fucking lame it was. Nearly worthless items on sale for shit I can get at a swap meet for less.

wtf did they sell???
THATS what I want to see.
I jumped to my wishlist as soon as I got to work and was disappointed to see nothing was on sale.

So now that they got 24572457 new Prime members we can expect them to increase the membership fees again next year?

Deals were going up and down all day. Just because you didn't see it immediately doesn't mean it didn't go on sale at all that day.

Its just extremely likely that anything you wanted didn't go on sale.

I only bought some yellow printer ink, but that's because my printer ran out of it last night :D.

Sale seemed worthless.

Gee, 'extremely likely' that they didn't really offer anything good seems more like it.

All Amazon did was do an Online Black Friday sale and hyped it up. Everyone showed up with dreams and a pocket full of money, and wound up spending it. Probably not on anything at all they had hoped to.....but that's how Black Friday works.

Just get em in the door....they are there to shop, and human nature means they won't want to leave DISAPPOINTED...so they'll buy SOMETHING and say "yeah I had to get it, it was a great deal on Prime Day".

Remember the old joke "It should be Amazon.org because clearly they aren't For Profit"?? :)

I didn't see anything that interested me and a lot of things were marked up so they could pretend they were great deals.

Camelizer for the win! Anything I would have purchased on an impulse was recently jacked up in price so that it could come back down to its normal price "deal" on Prime Day.

The only remarkable deals I saw were for things that I can't possibly imagine buying on an impulse, like %50 off a $1300 camera. Yeah, unless I was planning on buying that camera or one very very close to it in the next few months, there's no way I'm going to shell out $700 on a whim.

Camera in question. Is very gimmicky. There's literally not a comparable model. You'd have to have been planning on buying this exact camera or you have to have a large amount of money to just mess around with.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.

This. The sale was not a sale it was all trash like now found d on woot. Good job amazon, you've mastered the art of selling crap.

This. The sale was not a sale it was all trash like now found d on woot. Good job amazon, you've mastered the art of selling crap.

Pretty much this. I went on to see what kind of deals they had and most of the stuff looked like it was marked way up and then "put on sale".

I definitely wasn't impressed about the sale but I just knew something in my wishlist would have drop some kind of percentage... #FAIL

Those of you unimpressed by the sale clearly didn't do any actual shopping for deals.

Unlocked LG G4 for 1 cent
Nexus 6 for $399
A good chunk of camping gear was 1/2 off
Beats for 1/2 off.
A bunch of high end headphones went on sale
47% off Bose headphones
HP Stream for $59

But this is what America has come to....a bunch of spoiled self indulgent shoppers that aren't happy about anything.

Those of you unimpressed by the sale clearly didn't do any actual shopping for deals.

Nexus 6 for $399
Beats for 1/2 off.
47% off Bose headphones
HP Stream for $59

But this is what America has come to....a bunch of spoiled self indulgent shoppers that aren't happy about anything.

The G4 was an accident that Amazon decided to honor.
The N6 was still too expensive for "regular" people, and most other people don't want a phone that big.
You're talking to the wrong crowd about Beats. Isn't that fad over, anyway?

For the rest of it, a deal may have been had, but it isn't a deal if you weren't going to buy it in the first place. But whatever.

They definitely had deals but you had to refresh the deals page often and short by category to find stuff. Several good deals didn't even show up in the upcoming deals section, they just randomly appeared.

The one record they forgot to mention: "Most negative social media generated on a sale day ever."

Nexus 6 for $399
Beats for 1/2 off.
47% off Bose headphones
HP Stream for $59

How much of that stuff that was 1/2 off was actually truly 1/2 off of the *normal* sticker price, and not the Amazon-price-hike-prior-to-a-sale price? Because the things my wife and I were looking for that had such huge price slashes were inflated to begin with to make you feel like you were saving more than you actually were.

They need to make it easier to find deals. I felt like I was going through a sea of items just to find something that seemed like a good deal and then I gave up. Saved some money and didn't give them any after all of the disappointment.

I bought some video editing software for about $50 less then i was expecting to pay. The funny part is soon as the deal came live i purchased it, and it said 32% of the deal has been claimed. 10 minutes later i did a refresh and it was still at 32% which leads me to believe they only had 3 copies of that software.

The 50" 4k samsung with 10 movies for $999 seemed decent. i read they sold 1200 of them in 10 minutes.

I have that model 4k in the 65 inch form factor. It was Samsung's third best 4K model last year. During Samsung's black friday blowout last year I think the cheapest 50 inch dropped to was somewhere around $1,300 or so. The movie pack is a 1 or 2TB external drive with some blah movies on it. Was much happier to get 10% back in best buy store credit and 2 or 3% back from fat wallet.

I thought the cheap-ish SSD deal wasn't too bad or the deals on the Cyberpower and APC ups that sold out in seconds.

I was hoping for better sales on SSDs. Turns out Newegg had the better deals there so I went with them for my new SSD. Then again if Amazon didn't have this Prime Day thing Newegg and other places wouldn't have competed. So it was a win for everyone.

And the worlds largest rummage sale is a success!

WOO!

*SNORE*

For those that say that Amazon DID have a few decent desirable items... yes, they did, in virtually no quantity whatsoever.

Those were the same old "doorbuster" deals you see used on Blackfriday, where they will have a great deal on a television set... but, oh yeah, we forgot to tell you there are only three per store. So the handful of decent items that Amazon had? The only people that got them were the ones that researched when those items specifically were going on sale, and they were sold out within the first 3-5 seconds of coming online.

All the rest was pretty much dollar store crap, or stuff that was advertised as 75% off, but then you check camel^3 for Amazon price history, and you see its not even close the the cheapest its sold for in the past, and only say 5-10% off the listed average price.

It was a lot like Black Friday. The few good deals were gone instantly. Almost everything else was rubbish they would normally have a difficult time selling.

I got an acer tablet and a syberia headset.

Tempted to get the samsung 4K and vizio 4K but backed off...

I got Bloodborne for half off which was good.

But it made me investigate TVs for sale, and when I realized Amazon had nothing worthwhile I went and bought a 4K set at Costco later that day. So.. they lost a big sale there.

Back