Amazon Responds To Furor Over Limits On Prime Sharing

HardOCP News

[H] News
Who actually uses this feature? Most people I know without Prime are like "Steve, you have Prime, would you order this for me?" Ta-da! ;)

Amazon has responded to an erupting controversy surrounding its popular Prime membership program, saying that a change it quietly made in regard to sharing accounts was meant to benefit customers, not restrict them.

My friends Prime account is shared with about 13 people, including me, haha. It was a great cost saver.

I pay for mine, haven't shared with anyone.... have to imagine people like me who don't share pay for the people who abuse it

I pay for mine but i find when I'm on vacation in california visiting family i'm always in mr fix it mode and ordering parts to the house under my name is this still allowed even though i'm from wisconsin?

I'm more annoyed that they somehow got my wife to sign up for prime when I am already a member for when she orders movies... I mean, seriously, how many accounts does ONE HOUSEHOLD need? And she STILL hasn't gotten them to merge the accounts back into one for us... I know I just don't get it.

Damn, this is shitty...I am currently sharing my account with others. Thought it was great because we could split the cost and it wasn't like they had a full Prime membership, just the free shipping.

It says that current plans are "grandfathered" in...does that mean if I keep re-upping I can keep doing it?

I pay for mine, haven't shared with anyone.... have to imagine people like me who don't share pay for the people who abuse it

The only way it could be "abused" is if you had friends on there rather than other members of your own family/household, and even that is questionable because who cares where you are physically? Even then it was a feature of Prime, not some janky work-around to share your account with a bunch of people.

family in house hold > great
others > lame

i dont see why this is a big deal. when friends had prime and i didnt i always paid them for the 1-2 items i ordered a year. they dont want to be a postman. then i got my own prime and order like crazy and ups probably hates my house.

My friends Prime account is shared with about 13 people, including me, haha. It was a great cost saver.

I don't see how this was possible, as the max has always been four.

That being said guess I will be paying attention to this as it will effect my group if anything happens.

under the old rules could you share your Prime membership with any 4 people or do they have to be family members?

I use it to share with my girlfriend. Otherwise, I would have just given her my login info.

under the old rules could you share your Prime membership with any 4 people or do they have to be family members?

As far as I remember they just need to be family members, doesn't say anything about being in the same household. I share it with my fiancée, my parents, her parents, and her brother.

I notice now if you go to change anything, it mentions the new program...so my suspicion is you can't change who you are sharing it with at this point, but you can maintain that list as long as you don't revoke or change anything.

First world problems...

Here in the forgotten land (Canada) Prime is kind of shit and so is Amazon, no one really wants to split a turd.

I just use the prime mainly for the shipping. Sometimes its free one day shipping on some things i like. A good deal after a lot of ordering when it comes to shipping and all that ;)

My mom shares hers with me and my sister. My girlfriend uses it with my login info

I don't see the need for both parties to have access to each others debit and credit cards and I see that requirement being removed shortly.
I understand why they have that requirement, it's a form of control over sharing the Prime account as you won't want to share the account with "friends" as easily as you would with family members, since they will have access to your cards and you with theirs.

Damn, this is shitty...I am currently sharing my account with others. Thought it was great because we could split the cost and it wasn't like they had a full Prime membership, just the free shipping.

It says that current plans are "grandfathered" in...does that mean if I keep re-upping I can keep doing it?

When you renew it will most likely revert to the new plan. You are grandfathered in to the old plan for the rest of your remaining membership. And you can't add anymore people, all you can do is revoke the people you have or change to the new plan. If you are currently sharing with 4 other people, 3 will lose Prime.

If you've read "the everything store" you would know that a prime membership isn't about making money on the membership it's about changing the behavior of consumers so that they shop at amazon more and that it reduces the hurdle of the customer buying online. The whole point is to push more volume which allows Amazon to push for concessions from shippers and suppliers.

Back