Amazon Prime Video Now Has Four Times As Many Movies As Netflix

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Netflix, however, has more shows, and you could also argue for its value when you look at its exclusive content, most of which is pretty well rated.

Research last month showed that since January 2014, the number of titles available on Netflix in the US has shrunk by 31.7%. This was particularly pronounced in movies, where Netflix's selection had gone down by over 2,000 titles. Netflix now actually has 4 times fewer movie titles than Amazon Prime Video, one of its major competitors (which recently rolled out a standalone option), according to research by Barclays.

Amazon Video or Amazon Prime Video? The former isn't free for Prime members.

If Amazon Prime Video has 4x as many movies, I certainly can't tell. The way they organize and recommend available movies is complete shit.

Completely agree... I get the impression seeing the same movies in each genre/category that I probably can access only 20% of their catalog via browsing genres/categories. The rest seem hidden probably due to the recommendatiosn.

I like a lot of older movies 1940 on up. Now a lot of these are gone.. I am seriously thinking of dumping NetFlix altogeher.....

yeah, because 80% of them they are trying to sell to you. If it's not included in your prime subscription price it doesn't count.

Including video you have to pay more to watch doesn't count. Amazon video is garbage and I wish I could remove it from my prime plan and just get prime shipping.

I definitely feel if Amazon had an option for "Holy shit stop showing me movies I could buy" then they would put more effort in the sorting mechanisms. The best thing about Netflix is that everything on the service is available. I can sit there and scroll through movies for days and watch any of them. Using Amazon is like "Hey that looks good... Oh fuck me it's a rental". And "Awesome now I can watch season two of this show... WTF it's $2.99 an episode now?!?" Amazon is trying to walk a thin line between selling movies/show while also offering free movies and shows, both aspects of the service suffer. I wish they would make a Fire TV app that did *just* Prime Video content and cut out the rest of the bullshit.

Furthermore I watch mostly Sci Fi and horror movies. I never watch old movies or low budget indie shit, nor do I watch nudie stuff since my kid is usually also watching. My #2 reccomendations right now is "Space Zombie Bingo (1993)" and #5 is "A Nymphoid Barbarian in Dinosaur Hell (1990)". #7 is "Star Worms 2: Attack of the Pleasure Pods (1985)". I remove the stuff from my list and it comes back, WTF!

Last edited:
Seems like almost every time that I find something I think I want to watch on Amazon Prime, it's not part of Prime Video and I'd have to buy it. I have a tought time finding movies on Netflix, but at least everything they have is included in my subscription.

Prime video has been a real disappointment. In the last several months that I've had it, I've watched maybe a half dozen things on it. About 95% of the time I find something I want to watch, its not on Prime and you have to pay for it. I spend most of my time on Netflix. I wont be re-upping my subscription when it runs out in a few months. They do have a great selection, its just that very little of it is on Prime. Ill keep it on my Roku of course for when I want to rent newer releases.

If Amazon Prime Video has 4x as many movies, I certainly can't tell. The way they organize and reccomend available movies is complete shit.

agree, but the other issue is that netflix is getting screwed hardcore with these dumb agreements they're forced to abide by on the streaming side because they are still a DVD/Bluray rental service.

also i've had tons of issues with amazon primes streaming service, the most annoying one is the last 3-4 months all the tv shows stop with 3 minutes left and it won't let me ever watch those 3 minutes.. friggin pissing me off.

I definitely feel if Amazon had an option for "Holy shit stop showing me movies I could buy" then they would put more effort in the sorting mechanisms. The best thing about Netflix is that everything on the service is available. I can sit there and scroll through movies for days and watch any of them. Using Amazon is like "Hey that looks good... Oh fuck me it's a rental". And "Awesome now I can watch season two of this show... WTF it's $2.99 an episode now?!?" Amazon is trying to walk a thin line between selling movies/show while also offering free movies and shows, both aspects of the service suffer. I wish they would make a Fire TV app that did *just* Prime Video content and cut out the rest of the bullshit.

Furthermore I watch mostly Sci Fi and horror movies. I never watch old movies or low budget indie shit, nor do I watch nudie stuff since my kid is usually also watching. My #2 reccomendations right now is "Space Zombie Bingo (1993)" and #5 is "A Nymphoid Barbarian in Dinosaur Hell (1990)". #7 is "Star Worms 2: Attack of the Pleasure Pods (1985)". I remove the stuff from my list and it comes back, WTF!

lol yeah i know what you mean, if i want to rent a digital copy, why the heck wouldn't i just rent the bluray and get it in 24-36 hours from netflix without any video compression. the tv show prices are insane though, 2.99 an episode? but hey if you buy all 10 seasons you save 25 cents an episode..... um ok..

Last edited:
I cannot tell the difference between the two normally but each has their own stuff that I watch

I've honestly never used Netflix, but Amazon Prime and HBO GO has always worked fine here.

Amazon Prime video sucks big fat donkey cocks. They want you to pay for literally everything worth watching.

The stuff that they do have for "free" to watch is already on Netflix, and they have a better interface anyways.

See I dont give a shit about movies since pretty much any movie I want to see is something I have already seen, either in the theater or quickly on VOD when it comes out. Definitely love Netflix for the new shows.

If you like Anime, Netflix has gotten very good on it's selection over the last 2 years.

And I have found anime shows to be much more mentally stimulating then most of the brainless shit that Americans are spoon-fed today on network television.

Luckily some of these services are coming out with excellent shows that really have substance to them. Amazon's Man In The High Castle is an perfect example of this. I am almost willing to forget that Prometheus even happened because of how well Ridley Scott has done with this show.

It would be nice if you could totally separate the free Prime stuff from the paid.

You can do that from their website. Under the department Amazon video, one of the sub categories you can select is included with prime.

You can browse by category, and only prime options will be shown. You can add the ones you like to your list.

Was that so hard?

If Amazon Prime Video has 4x as many movies, I certainly can't tell. The way they organize and reccomend available movies is complete shit.
You have to search for the movies to find them. And then, most likely the movie you want to see on Amazon is also one that you have to pay extra for. With netflix, it's all for one price. Amazon is mostly pay as you go. Only a small percentage are free with amazon prime. I miss a lot of the stuff that was on netflix which is now gone, both dvd and streaming, which is now pay as you go on amazon and youtube. Which is a shame, because I could have captured the stream and kept the video on my own, had I known that at some point they'd make it unavailable. Just another example of the hollywood studios finding ways to limit the spread of old works that should be public domain.

I have never found Netflix's movie selection to be that different from Amazon Primes. Netflix does have some decent original content, but a lot of it is stuff I don't like. Amazon has original content too. Not quite as much, but I end up liking about the same amount. In the end, I find myself cancelling my Netflix account for a year at a time (I will end up doing the same to HBO Now). Once I get to the point where I can't find anything interesting to watch that I can't find on Amazon I cancel. I won't cancel my Amazon account because I am a heavy 2 day shipping user and it's the reason I became a prime member, long before the video service.

You can do that from their website. Under the department Amazon video, one of the sub categories you can select is included with prime.

You can browse by category, and only prime options will be shown. You can add the ones you like to your list.

Was that so hard?

Can you do it from the FireTV so it only shows non-paid? Thats all I want, exclude the paid stuff from showing. The website is useless to me as I don't look at that, just my TV.

Whatever, when I tire of useless recommendations, I say fuck it and go directly to the source.

Amazon prime app sucks. But their website does not!

Netflix suffers from the same fucking problem: yeah their suggestions for more shows are much better than Amazon, but you really only get half the picture of what's available (especially their in house properties). To really get the most out of my Netflix, I have to hit up third party websites to see what's on and what's coming.

This is it. The catalog is massive but they "promote" viewing certain titles over others at times. You can't even find things in a search that is in their catalog.

I would agree. Most of the time my searches yields shit content I don't want to watch.

Seems to me anything free is tagged "Prime" in its upper Left Corner. And the Roku App & Fire TV have several sections like "Prime Movies...", "Top Prive Movies...", "New to Prime...", "Prime TV..", "Top Prime TV...", etc...

Sure it would be nice to clear out stuff if you're not going to pay. But it isn't like there's nothing there to help.

It seems the vast majority of Amazon prime video is PPV titles; not the content you get with a prime membership.
Usually much of what Prime members can view isn't that much different than Netflix.

So 4x the crap? There is still nothing available on Amazon that I want to watch when I do a search. It's not like I can find it on Netflix either, but if they have 4x the selection I am wondering how many bargain bin B movies they are.

Back