Amazon Prime HD Videos Stuttering

Install K-lite codec see if that helps, also try IE.

I've used IE, Chrome and also Opera. The stuttering happened with each browser.

Are you using any mechanical drives? One of them could be going bad causing the stuttering.

Nope, there's a SSD in my HTPC. But I've pretty much figured out that it's the motherboard / processor combo that's in my HTPC. I posted a thread in the HTPC section and was recommended a better / faster / newer motherboard & processor for the HTPC that can handle the video playback smoothly. Also, I've been temporarily using my i5 laptop on WiFi connected with a HDMI cable and everything plays pretty smooth. So another bit of proof that it's the older HTPC components that were causing the issues .

Did you ever get any resolution to this? I am having issues with stuttering ONLY in amazon instant video and ONLY when it steps up to 1080p, using a quad core AMD A6-5200 APU on an ECS KBN-I-5200 HTPC setup with windows 10.

Using a gigabit fiber connection benchmarked at over 950mbps... everything else 1080p plays fine. Is it really possible that this could be hardware limited, and why only amazon??

Check the video I recorded below:

Amazon prime instant video stuttering at 1080p with AMD A6-5200

Last edited:
In my experience, Amazon's HTML5 player is crap. It doesn't use the GPU for decoding or pretty much anything. Pure CPU. This can make for choppy playback at 1080p for older or weaker CPUs. If you're getting high CPU usage (>75%) on any single core, it's probably because of that.

It's varied. Some videos will play fine, while others won't. I think it has to do with how the video was encoded. Some streams are just more demanding on hardware than others.

I also find that running in fullscreen seems to help a little.

Did you ever get any resolution to this? I am having issues with stuttering ONLY in amazon instant video and ONLY when it steps up to 1080p, using a quad core AMD A6-5200 APU on an ECS KBN-I-5200 HTPC setup with windows 10.

Using a gigabit fiber connection benchmarked at over 950mbps... everything else 1080p plays fine. Is it really possible that this could be hardware limited, and why only amazon??

Check the video I recorded below:

Amazon prime instant video stuttering at 1080p with AMD A6-5200

Doesn't appear tone buffering properly. Have you changed any of your caching settings?

In my experience all these sites work much better as an app on a device. Seems they don't spend much effort on the browser experience.

My old HTPC in the bedroom with a X5650 streams Amazon Prime just fine on wireless even.

The X5680 on the main rig seems to be having a few issues lately, and is direct wired.

I think I may have one of the 4 HDD's on the storage RAID puking on me there atm, things have been weird even though the OS is on a couple of smaller SSD's.

But there is even a newer WIN 10 insider update on there, so it is hard to pin it down atm. The main rig has so much hooked to it is hard to isolate a problem sometimes.

Could it be that your video acceleration is not on? Or it is on and causing problems? In Chrome choose settings, then Advanced Settings on the bottom, then near the bottom there is an option under "System" for hardware acceleration.

I know we aren't talking about GIFS, but I ran into a video driver problem the other week -- Nvidia had a driver here that caused GIF videos to turn black for the first loop through. The driver updated and it is now fixed. Check to make sure your driver is up to date.

Amazon Prime Video used to use Microsoft Silverlight, but have now switched to an HTML5 player. I'm guessing you can right-click and see what it is using. I'm not sure if one is better than the other.

NIC driver up to date?

The fact that your internet speeds oscillate up and down probably doesn't help things.

Does it stutter when you watch the video on your smartphone?

Nope, I'm still working on upgrading my HTPC motherboard / processor. Just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Back