Amazon Preparing to Offer Home Internet

These aren't geosync sats. The government can block only the radio usage and only while the sats are above their borders.
You don't know how much of this works, do ya? The actual launch license doesn't need to be issued.

Launches not from US soil by a US company are still under the jurisdiction of the US, according to the Outer Space Treaty.
I didn’t realize that US companies were the only possible option for launching satellites.

I didn’t realize that US companies were the only possible option for launching satellites.
You keep grasping at more and more straws here.
The original point of this thread is about Amazon, an US company. The thread you're yanking hard against was about Comcast, Cox, CenturyLink and other US ISPs. If a foreign ISP wants to give it a whirl, it's almost certainly going to ride on a US rocket, at least for the short term future. Every possible point you could be trying to make is just incorrect at this point.

Please, just stop, or at very least return to the original thread topic if you have something meaningful to add there.

More competition couldn't hurt, I suppose. I wonder if they will also step up the plate in providing Ukraine internet aid since SpaceX is being fussy about it?

As for the Starlink data cap, it was as simple as telling my roommates to turn off their streaming service when turning their TV off. My data cycle renews tomorrow and I'm at 860GB.

Except it'll make all ground based observatories useless because these flying balls will get in the way.

https://www.vox.com/science-and-hea...starlink-too-bright-astronomy-stars-pollution

Honestly not really to concerned with astronomy. It's not exactly a discipline that is solving any of the worlds problems.

It's just geeky science for the sake of geeky science.

It's not like they are curing cancer or solving climate change or really doing anything except just satisfying curiosity.

I wonder how far this is going to go? I mean what's to stop, Cox, Comcast, Centurylink, etc from throwing up a few thousand satellites to compete?:LOL:
First is infrastructure they already have the ground based infrastructure in place to serve customers which is far superior, cheaper and easier to maintain than space based solutions, yes it doesn't reach everywhere but who cares their markets are densely packed compared to the areas they don't reach which they quite frankly don't care about unless.
Second and probably most importantly, why would they want to compete? They got to where they were simply because they didn't have to compete with anyone else for customers, competition does not benefit any of them.

Back