Amazon Playstation Pro $339.00

Yep, picked my son up one for christmas with an etra wireless controller for 33.00 extra.

Nothing wrong with my launch day unit but still tempted...

Update:

Worth watching if you were hoping to see your ssd thrive with the new sata 3 internals.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Ended up getting an Xbone S for $250 + $40 gift card at target. Still can't believe sony decided not to put a UHD Bluray player in their latest console..

You guys can also save on tax and get an even better deal off craigslist if you live in a bigger metropolitan area. I see PS4 Pro's for $300 pretty consistently. They just came out so I am pretty sure most are in great condition to like new condition.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Does the PS4 pro play all games at 60fps at 1080p?

Nope. It doesn't even improve games unless the developer releases a PS Pro patch. Even then the effect of the patch varies. Some games run at 1080p/60 some skip that and go right to 4K/30 and various other things in-between. I believe a few games just up the visuals and don't change the frame rate at all. For all of the unpatched games they either play exactly the same or a small handful even run a little bit worse. Digital Foundry's youtube channel has videos up on most of the games that have been patched for the PS4 Pro as well as I believe ones about some games negatively effected.

Agreed. If From updated Bloodbourne to run at a 1080p/60 I'd probably buy a Pro right now.

I sold my PS4 back in August and am not all that interested in the Pro...but if they patched Bloodborne it might get me to bite

Moving forward, the PS4 Pro is absolutely going to be your best bet. Forget about the games that are out now. Consider the games that are coming out.

The PS4 Pro is 2.5x faster than the PS4. It also has 1gb of additional memory to help with the UI / Loading of games.

Sure, people can point out what oi doesn't do all day long but that's not anywhere reason enough not to plan for the future. BTW, a lot of games actually do run much faster. Some games even have twice the detail now. You can see these reviews all day long on youtube. There are literally 100's of videos now.

The biggiest thing about the PS4 Pro is .... it's very very easy to get. I sold my PS4 Slim for $250 cash and in the same day, got a like new PS4 Pro off craigslist for an additional $40 dollars. The kid sold it to me for $290. Sorry, there is no excuse not to own a PS4 Pro. It's cheap, it's faster and has a fantastic library.

Lots of people on Youtube are debunking this as a Fake that 4k is way out of reach for this system.
Besides that there are only a few games that a exclusive to the system that are worth it.
God of War 4 slated for next year
and that is about it

As soon as Sony Exclusives come to the PC consoles are over with.
The last good time I had with a console was back in like 2009 when borderlands one came out.

Lots of people on Youtube are debunking this as a Fake that 4k is way out of reach for this system.
Besides that there are only a few games that a exclusive to the system that are worth it.
God of War 4 slated for next year
and that is about it

As soon as Sony Exclusives come to the PC consoles are over with.
The last good time I had with a console was back in like 2009 when borderlands I came out.

Any video in particular because there's a crap load of idiots yapping about their ps4 pros unboxing and other nauseating topics?

Another annoying idiot on youtube? What are the lies? Who thought that these consoles could actually run games at 4k60 when a 1080 cannot even do that? Also, isn't it obvious that only the xbox s has a 4khd player no? The PS4 Pro is 4k streaming... though apparently there will be a handful of games at 4k. That said the xbox 1 s is the only one worth getting for the actual 4kHD player, it pays for itself with that option. But really, I'm not sure how anyone shopping for these didn't already know the device limitations already during their course of research?

Sorry, there is no excuse not to own a PS4 Pro.

Unless you have a standard model that works just fine.

A lot of what appears to be confirmation bias in your posts in this thread. Glad you're pleased with your purchase but the truth is, unless you are buying your 1st ps4, there just isn't much reason to pick one up yet.

Awesome you scored a nice CL deal, but unless its a widely available option, it is irrelevant to a lot of members.

The PS4 Pro has been underwhelming so far. A resolution bump to most games so far but the textures and detail are usually the same as they are on the base unit.

It plays PS4 games identically to the PS4 without better frame rates or any improvements.

Many games still run at 30fps, even ones that have been patched to run on the Pro.

But this is still a great deal. I bought an Xbone S at Target a month ago but I might consider this if I had not.

Nothing wrong with my launch day unit but still tempted...

Update:

Worth watching if you were hoping to see your ssd thrive with the new sata 3 internals.

Thanks for that.. I guess no reason to bother getting the pro over the base model I've had the past 3+ years.

Thanks for that.. I guess no reason to bother getting the pro over the base model I've had the past 3+ years.
Which I wish more people would just post in writing instead of linking to stupid fucking videos.

Does the PS4 pro play all games at 60fps at 1080p?

Nope. They focus more on high res then things that actually affect gameplay like FPS. Also no Ultra HD BluRay drive. These are the two reason I won't buy it.

Great price. It's tempting. But to be honest it would probably never get used.....

You guys can keep your PS4's. That's not what I am saying. I am saying if you are wanting to get a PS4, get the pro off craigslist for around $300. If you have a friend wanting one, etc then have them get the pro. It's just a smart future proof move.

For me, I have the PS VR so the PS4 Pro is a must. I get the additional usb port but also the extra power to run VR more smoothly. The Resident Evil VR demo was amazing and left my chest hurting for several minutes. BTW, I played the demo on my old PS4 Slim and it was very very noticeably less smoother than on the PS4 Pro. Anyone will tell you this. The last of Us, Tomb Raider, and most of my games got a nice speed boost from the PS4 Pro. I also put in a black friday 480GB SSD I got for $89 into the PS4 Pro and the loading speed is 50% - 75% faster.

But for anyone that want's to make a big deal out of how great the base level PS4 is ... just remember that and NEVER EVER upgrade to a PS4 Pro. Don't talk smack only to upgrade in a few weeks or months. Be a man about it and keep your 2 year old PS4 lol.

No, I've watched the videos. There are many that show the PS4 and PS4 Pro side by side. And you can clearly see the additional detail and FPS. It's right there on the screen.

Don't be a douche and purposely look for people who complain about the PS4 Pro which I am sure some of you are doing to try and support your point of view / further your argument. lol.

My only regret is I have a bad ass PC so I spend my of my time on my that.

There was a video on here that showed there was only like a 1-3 second difference using a ssd.. I wouldn't bother and slap a 2-4tb drive in it insted.

I have a bad ass pc as well and would rather blow $800 in a htc vive insted of the ps4 vr.

The Pro is a joke for me as it seems in about half the cases you get slightly worse actual performance. I wanted to get 60 fps at 1080p not worse performance than I would already get on the standard PS4 just to play at some higher resolution that will be down sampled on to my 1080p screen. IMO the Pro is no mans land.

Certain games give you the option of selecting higher frame rate over higher res. The patched Infamous games are one of them. It's really up to the developers on how they want to utilize the extra performance.

Sony also feels 4k streaming is the future over UHD Blu-ray which is funny since they are the ones that pushed for that format.

There's always going to be a transition phase, similar to when new GPUs are released on the PC; drivers matures and game engines are optimized that eventually results in better performance under the same hardware.

This is a new concept for consoles, so I'm going to give it chance.
Wait till games are made specifically for the PS4 Pro and patched/configured to run on a base PS4, instead of the other way around like it is today.

Some games may not reach 4K@60, but it sure can surpass 1080p60 if the developers supports it.

There's always going to be a transition phase, similar to when new GPUs are released on the PC; drivers matures and game engines are optimized that eventually results in better performance under the same hardware.

This is a new concept for consoles, so I'm going to give it chance.
Wait till games are made specifically for the PS4 Pro and patched/configured to run on a base PS4, instead of the other way around like it is today.

Some games may not reach 4K@60, but it sure can surpass 1080p60 if the developers supports it.
Lol they will be lucky to get some games to maintain even 30 fps at "4k". 60 fps at 1800p or just 1440p will even be pushing it for the majority of big AAA games. And that pos cpu is not going to let it maintain 60 fps in most games anyway.

It will be years before the process happens as you describe, if ever. The standard install base is far too large.

Kinda reminds me of the nintendo 64 expansion pack. :)

In all seriousness, the Pro is a cool concept and the deal this week is solid, especially for the 4k screen user.

Just bummed sata 3 doesnt make the ssd faster, no 4k drive and folks with 1080p screens are seeing worse performance .

If a year down the road 1080p screen users are getting a solid fps boost across the board, count me in.

Ended up getting an Xbone S for $250 + $40 gift card at target. Still can't believe sony decided not to put a UHD Bluray player in their latest console..

And now you're stuck with an outdated Xbone, no offense.

Sony skipped the drive because streaming is king. <1% of people in the market for a game console will ever bother to rent/buy a physical 4K Bluray. Special snowflakes aside, optical is dead if you look at sales figures. Thus, why increase the BOM for the other 99% that will never care about playing a physical 4K BD?

Snagged a Pro from Amazon warehouse deals for $305. Not bad considering I sold my regular PS4 with an extra controller and 5 old games for $325 about a month ago.

Still on a 1080p TV so I am looking forward to ultra sharp image quality, 4k future proofing, and most of all, a bit of quiet as the old one was a jet engine sometimes.

Now to separately find a 480 or 1070 for the PC and should be set for a while.

And now you're stuck with an outdated Xbone, no offense.

Sony skipped the drive because streaming is king. <1% of people in the market for a game console will ever bother to rent/buy a physical 4K Bluray. Special snowflakes aside, optical is dead if you look at sales figures. Thus, why increase the BOM for the other 99% that will never care about playing a physical 4K BD?

And 4K streaming is a small market as well right now. A large portion of the US has bandwidth caps that prevent people from doing a lot of streaming. You're not wrong about 4K blu-ray, I doubt it will see much more "success" than 3D blu-ray did, but the omission from Sony is still weird. Sony makes money from blu-ray sales, you'd think they would want to encourage people to buy them.

I jumped at the Amazon deal just because they offered me instant credit for my old PS4 and some random games I would never play again. Still cost me $120 out of pocket and I only have a 1080p screen. (Sadly, I got more for my PS3 back when the PS4 launched on trade. Oh well.)

Hope it is not too much of a disappointment as I could have just bought the Roccat Sova I have been eyeing for my HTPC instead.

Back