Amazon Playstation Pro $339.00

And now you're stuck with an outdated Xbone, no offense.

Sony skipped the drive because streaming is king. <1% of people in the market for a game console will ever bother to rent/buy a physical 4K Bluray. Special snowflakes aside, optical is dead if you look at sales figures. Thus, why increase the BOM for the other 99% that will never care about playing a physical 4K BD?

Sorry but streaming is far from king in the US. The ISP market has been strongly pushing data caps nation wide this year and many people can not afford to stream 15GB a movie. Oh and as far as quality, physical disc is far superior to the shit Netflix feeds you. Also your figures are highly exaggerated as there is a huge market influx of 4K TVs in the affordable price range and many customers very disappointed Sony went to cheap route and decided not to include it in their latest console. It was a dumb move on their part because if your estimates are correct then no one would care about a 4K gaming console in the first place. Until ISPs loosen their grip on the consumers balls there will always be a market for physical media, so until I am sitting on 1gbps unlimited I am not settling for "decent" 4K streaming.

Also, $210 UHD Player + Game System > $200 UHD Standalone Player

Last edited:
^^Yea, it's over actually 100 bucks more atm and no 4kBD drive, wtf? How did MS stick a full fledged 4kBD drive in there there and Sony couldn't?

^^Yea, it's over actually 100 bucks more atm and no 4kBD drive, wtf? How did MS stick a full fledged 4kBD drive in there there and Sony couldn't?

Are you talking about the the unreleased Xbox Scorpio? They justify that by adding a 4kBD by adding the cost to the end price. Maybe you are talking about the Xbox S. If that's the case that is just an XBOX One that all of the internals have been shrunk which in the process saves money. Also, the PS4 Pro has extra hardware that costs more money. It has a second video card in the die. If you want a 4kBD then buy an XBOX...that doesn't seem like a difficult decision.

"I want this but this product doesn't have this so I will buy the one that does"

Everyone wins.

Are you talking about the the unreleased Xbox Scorpio? They justify that by adding a 4kBD by adding the cost to the end price. Maybe you are talking about the Xbox S. If that's the case that is just an XBOX One that all of the internals have been shrunk which in the process saves money. Also, the PS4 Pro has extra hardware that costs more money. It has a second video card in the die. If you want a 4kBD then buy an XBOX...that doesn't seem like a difficult decision.

"I want this but this product doesn't have this so I will buy the one that does"

Everyone wins.

Not really, it's just highly disappointing Sony decided to forego the UHDBD player. I love my PS4 for its exclusives, Uncharted, Bloodborne, Last of Us, Infamous, etc.. but at least include the one thing you're known for!

Not really, it's just highly disappointing Sony decided to forego the UHDBD player. I love my PS4 for its exclusives, Uncharted, Bloodborne, Last of Us, Infamous, etc.. but at least include the one thing you're known for!

The one thing they are known for is gaming...it's a console...not an all in one home entertainment center. I think you guys are confusing this with the xbox one. They are the ones trying to market the all in one.

thesmokingman's original comment was asking why the player couldn't be added for the extra $100 and I was saying that the internals are different. It has the equivalent of crossfire gpus in one die which takes $$$ for R&D to make work and not to mention the cost of the extra gpu itself on the die. The case had to be redesigned as well to accommodate the extra heat output. This is where the extra $100 came in. I'm sure Sony debated adding the player but they decided against it to stay at the $400 price mark. They will not be able to compete in raw horsepower with the Xbox Scorpio when released but they won't have to. Just like nvidia and amd have different tiered gpus this will be a different tiered console. You want a gtx 1080 go with the ps4 now you want a Titan then get the Xbox Scorpio (These are terrible comparisons I know).

Last edited:
The one thing they are known for is gaming...it's a console...not an all in one home entertainment center. I think you guys are confusing this with the xbox one. They are the ones trying to market the all in one.

thesmokingman's original comment was asking why the player couldn't be added for the extra $100 and I was saying that the internals are different. It has the equivalent of crossfire gpus in one die which takes $$$ for R&D to make work and not to mention the cost of the extra gpu itself on the die. The case had to be redesigned as well to accommodate the extra heat output. This is where the extra $100 came in. I'm sure Sony debated adding the player but they decided against it to stay at the $400 price mark. They will not be able to compete in raw horsepower with the Xbox Scorpio when released but they won't have to. Just like nvidia and amd have different tiered gpus this will be a different tiered console. You want a gtx 1080 go with the ps4 now you want a Titan then get the Xbox Scorpio (These are terrible comparisons I know).

Yes, the one thing the billion dollar electronics giant is most known for is gaming. It's clearly not just a gaming system. Sony is heavily pushing everything the system can do, including gaming. It's not a Wii U. They're pushing 4K super heavy with the Pro and 4K streaming is not a good thing to pin their hopes on right now. It simply is not a viable option in the US (their biggest market) and really probably not in several parts of the world too. Not including 4K blu-ray, a format that they helped develop and make money from, seems like another case of Sony being a little short-sighted and rushing the Pro to market. Will 4K blu-ray ever explode in popularity? Unlikely. Will 4K streaming ever explode in popularity? Maybe, but not until data caps no longer exist. It's big enough now for streaming services to support it, but it's still not a viable option for most people for the foreseeable future. Kind of the same reason why a download only console simply isn't a viable option right now.

I can't recall if it's this forum or OCN but someone found the cost Sony paid for the Blu-ray player and the cost of the Ultra Blu-ray player was an extra $15.50.

IMO they should have ate the cost if that amount is true. I think it would have helped them in the end.

Or perhaps they're trying to get as much money out of it as possible. After all they sunk tons of cash into VR and Lord only knows how many of these Pro's will be collecting dust if Scorpio brings its A-game.

$15.50 x 30 million or so they expect to sell over the lifetime? That's a lot of extra cash in their pocket.

$15.50 x 30 million or so they expect to sell over the lifetime? That's a lot of extra cash in their pocket.

On the flip side when the competition goes online with their box that has a 4k BD player, they can watch that number shrink, fast.

It would likely only be $15.50 for the first year or so. After that the price would probably drop. Prices on hardware drop over time.

I am really sick and tired of people comparing a 399 system to a true 4k rig. Go play uncharted 4 with HDR enabled, come back and tell me its not worth 399. Common people get real. 4k is not everything HDR at 1440P is more than enough. I play the damn thing just to enjoy how good it looks on my samsung 65ks8000 model. And I got my system for 340. Please try and talk me out of it, for an occasional gamer who plays only certain games its worth every penny to me. I don't need i7 gtx 1080 for what I game. The value of ps4 pro is unbeatable for what it provides.

I thought 339.00 was a really good price is well. Pretty happy with that and the extra wireless controller for my son's Christmas present.

I am really sick and tired of people comparing a 399 system to a true 4k rig. Go play uncharted 4 with HDR enabled, come back and tell me its not worth 399. Common people get real. 4k is not everything HDR at 1440P is more than enough. I play the damn thing just to enjoy how good it looks on my samsung 65ks8000 model. And I got my system for 340. Please try and talk me out of it, for an occasional gamer who plays only certain games its worth every penny to me. I don't need i7 gtx 1080 for what I game. The value of ps4 pro is unbeatable for what it provides.

Good stuff sir! I'm just talking about how it's disappointing that Pro doesn't include 4k Blu-ray.

We're tech people, we nitpick. It IS very surprising that Sony's PRO doesn't include an UHD player. That's it.

Although you did just spend $2k to experience this.

Last edited:
I'm just waiting around for the X-Box Scopion I think it's silly to release it late next year by that time Halo 5 will probably be on the PC with a server browser.

Sony probably just saving the HUD player for the super ultra mega Pro PS4 that they will release shortly after xbone Scopion comes out.

On the flip side when the competition goes online with their box that has a 4k BD player, they can watch that number shrink, fast.

I have to agree with this. Sony has been pushing hard on Blu Ray since PS3 and they were at the forefront of the "everything in a box" system. So the people here can't now be saying that "Well, the PS4 is for gaming." That is not a good excuse. I myself upgraded from a PS4 to a PS4 Pro and just yesterday I bought a Xbox One S precisely because of the 4K Blu Ray drive. When people talk about how streaming is the future; well not until all data caps are removed and not until out internet speeds in the US (which are atrocious compared to a lot of other countries) increase. Plus, you just can't get 4K movies streaming to look as good and have the same audio quality as a disc. Some of it is okay, but not as good. Personally, I think the Scorpio is going to be incredible and I will definitely be picking that up too when it releases. Microsoft is doing the right thing waiting a year. They have been touting the Scorpio as the first "true native 4K console," which would then make sense why they are waiting a year b/c the graphical horsepower to render 4K graphics is incredible and in a year the hardware prices will drop so when Sony does their first price drop on the Pro next Christmas for $349 Microsoft will have a much more powerful console for $399 and of course the addition of the 4K Blu Ray drive will be the icing on the cake.

Microsoft might be waiting on Destiny 2 which will be bundled with the system if it comes out on time.
Destiny 2 is rumored to be on the PC though I hope that goes over big but X-Box App store need to be revamped and more user friendly.

Good stuff sir! I'm just talking about how it's disappointing that Pro doesn't include 4k Blu-ray.

We're tech people, we nitpick. It IS very surprising that Sony's PRO doesn't include an UHD player. That's it.

Although you did just spend $2k to experience this.
1500. Hehe. Got the 65ks8000 for 1079 through employee purchase program. I was drooling lol. You are right about the UHD player that was a bummer. Don't know what Sony was thinking there. I did get Xbox one s for 250. But idk what Sony was thinking I would have paid another 50 if they 4K playback. Stupid move on their part

1500. Hehe. Got the 65ks8000 for 1079 through employee purchase program. I was drooling lol. You are right about the UHD player that was a bummer. Don't know what Sony was thinking there. I did get Xbox one s for 250. But idk what Sony was thinking I would have paid another 50 if they 4K playback. Stupid move on their part

I cannot lie, I'm totally jealous ☺

Back