Amazon Now Accounts for More Than Half of All Internet Sales Growth

Zarathustra[H]

Extremely [H]
Slice intelligence has a report up today showing that Amazon now accounts for 53% of all internet sales growth in the U.S, capturing 43% of all U.S. online sales in 2016. They attribute this in large part to the very successful Echo line of products, and their willingness to pursue other risky innovative ideas. Thanks to Cageymaru for the link.

Why has Amazon’s dominance continued in the face of stiff competition from every major retailer? Simply put, Amazon maintains an obsessive focus on removing every pain point from the buying process. This is clearly exemplified with its Prime program, with free, reliably quick shipping. While the rest of the market is investing to get our packages to us faster, Amazon still maintains a significant lead. By December of 2016, the average Amazon package was delivered in 3.4 days, compared with 5.6 from everyone else.

Imo, it's their customer is always right policy and their easy returns. It might cost them more to support those policies but on the flip side consumers shop at Amazon w/o fear. Their philosophy is killing it obviously.

From what I hear, a lot of those costs are borne not by Amazon, but by the sellers. You might find this chapter of Schiit Audio's "book" on the subject of selling on Amazon interesting.

That's besides the point because they are their policies, and that will ultimately affect their bottom line. For ex. if their policies are so damaging to vendors, then Amazon would lose vendors left and right, losing variety in stocks. They'd lose sales. If you want to make a critical thread on Amazon go right ahead, there's plenty of it to go around but obviously they are doing something right some how...

90% of my online purchases are thru Amazon. Not surprised they are so popular.

My main beef with them is their crappy search facility. But that's ok since I am able to find what I need anyway. Just don't like having to wade thru rubbish I didn't ask for to find it. I like buying thru them much more than ebay.

I mostly buy stuff from Amazon these days, it so much easier, faster and safer than any other alternative available to me.

Anytime I buy from someone other than amazon (newegg is about the only exception) I find myself wishing I just bought it from amazon instead. I am so used to 2 day delivery that when things take almost 2 weeks I want to get on the phone and scream at someone lol.

i wish amazon had more stuff i could buy via prime. good for them

I'm still waiting for the US government to tax online purchases... In this day and age when so much shopping is done online, rather you agree with taxation or not, every sale needs to be covered by more than just where companies distribution warehouses are. Especially with giants like Amazon/eBay. These loopholes are no different than banks that use tax havens and rob America.

Imo, it's their customer is always right policy and their easy returns. It might cost them more to support those policies but on the flip side consumers shop at Amazon w/o fear. Their philosophy is killing it obviously.

I have to second this. There is no other company I'd praise as much as Amazon. They make things right every single time. I have never had an issue that they did not resolve immediately and without hesitation.

I buy pretty much everything on Amazon. At the very least, I look there first. I'll even pay a bit more for something and use my Prime shipping. It's one of the few situations where I won't choose the absolute lowest price on something because of the confidence I have in Amazon.

Subscribe and save is now the source of all my groceries/snacks/drinks. I don't buy anything at a grocery store anymore except for fresh items like dairy/meats/vegetables/fruits.

I hope they never go bad.

I finally started taking advantage of the Prime video as well which is great. $100 is completely worth it for Prime. I know I can order something and it'll be here right quick. When there are delays, they'll even throw me a courtesy credit or something.

Fucking love Amazon. Probably too much

I'm still waiting for the US government to tax online purchases... In this day and age when so much shopping is done online, rather you agree with taxation or not, every sale needs to be covered by more than just where companies distribution warehouses are. Especially with giants like Amazon/eBay. These loopholes are no different than banks that use tax havens and rob America.

Many of us already pay sales tax. Don't know where you've been.

Just started paying taxes here in Iowa. Bummer, but Amazon is still my go to. Fast reliable shipping. Credits when shipping is delayed as well.

Just today I was returning something and I decided to return another item (worth $4) in the process, and amazon just told me to keep it and they would refund me anyways. Great CS is what keeps me coming back.

I'm scratching my head - what was the last company I ordered something from besides Amazon? eBay if you count them - used server so not something I would have bought from Amazon.
I used to buy all my computer stuff from Newegg. Recently, I've found better deals locally (Microcenter) or from Amazon.
Non-computer stuff - Pantry is my go to. I get all of my TP, dishwasher, soap, etc from Amazon. Kroger, Meijer and the like are only used for food (for now...). These stores better watch out and disrupt themselves before Amazon moves in and slaughters them. I think they have some time, but how much who knows?

Amazon is only good if you pay for prime. Else you get expensive and intentionally slow shipping. I ordered two items a week ago. Took them one week to ship it. I am still not taking the bait.

Amazon is only good if you pay for prime. Else you get expensive and intentionally slow shipping. I ordered two items a week ago. Took them one week to ship it. I am still not taking the bait.

Your loss.

After getting same day shipping 2 days in a row..I'm lovin' it, but nothin' can replace my costco

Prime is too good. I purchase enough that it makes up in shipping costs, then I use their Prime Movies for ~10 good exclusive titles they get a year (otherwise its kinda a shitty selection), and finally their music player is quite good, with a great auto-lyrics system and big enough library for use at the gym / social situations.

I like my amazon prime, but i rarely buy anything from amazon. I don't find their prices that competitive for the things i am shopping for and often if it is competitive it is not offered with prime shipping. Also, as others have said the search function needs to be better.

yup would have to agree that it is the one place i can shop w/out fear. return policy from amazon is superior compared to others making you jump thru hoops just for a RMA

After getting same day shipping 2 days in a row..I'm lovin' it, but nothin' can replace my costco

yeah i've been getting lucky with that lately, ordered a bunch of stuff over multiple days and each one of them got upgraded to next day shipping without me having to do anything. also agree costco or bust when it comes to food plus who would ever pass up unlimited taste testing. :)

Back