Amazon Might Take on YouTube

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
Google and Amazon aren't best buddies lately and Google is threatening to pull the YouTube app from Amazon devices on January 1st. Amazon filed for trademarks on 'Amazon Tube' and 'Open Tube' the same day Google delivered their warning. According to the TVanswerman, the descriptions of these trademarks look very familiar. You might say the services look remarkedly like something YouTube provides. Whether or not this will infringe upon Google IP is another story. This might turn out to be another tech company battle royale in the making.

On the very day that Google posted the January 1 warning on the YouTube app, Amazon filed trademark requests for ‘Amazon Tube’ and ‘Open Tube.’ While Amazon does not mention YouTube in its applications, the lengthy descriptions for the two names bare an interesting similarity to YouTube’s main features.

My guess is that this is what Amazon wanted all along. Google pulls YouTube, looks like a bully, and paves the way for Amazon to launch their own service.

Most people won't care that Amazon was the one that initially started this whole feud with their unwillingness to sell Google products.

That said, if Amazon wants to carve a piece out of this market they're going to have to get creative.

I kind of want this to happen. Youtube needs some real competition. I don't believe Amazon will do a much better job with content than Youtube, but having a viable competing service for creators to expand to could be a good thing for those who's career is video content creation.

My guess is that this is what Amazon wanted all along. Google pulls YouTube, looks like a bully, and paves the way for Amazon to launch their own service.

Most people won't care that Amazon was the one that initially started this whole feud with their unwillingness to sell Google products.

That said, if Amazon wants to carve a piece out of this market they're going to have to get creative.
I don't get this mentality. Can you be forced or goaded into selling a competitor's product? Can burger king walk into a mcdonalds and demand they sell their burgers? It makes no sense and has no real world equivalent.
Youtube is a service that isn't explicitly available for only a select number of products. It's made so that any device that can access it (PC/android/IOS/blackberry/windows/etc) while agreeing to their TOS can use it. Specifically taking it off one product line with no technical reasons as to why breaks that model.
Google taking away youtube for amazon fire products and getting them to try and sell google home and nest is nutty. Google's becoming the next microsoft more and more every day.

It will never take off even the regulars on you tube are having a hard time with views unless they in the trenches established.

I don't get this mentality. Can you be forced or goaded into selling a competitor's product? Can burger king walk into a mcdonalds and demand they sell their burgers? It makes no sense and has no real world equivalent.
Youtube is a service that isn't explicitly available for only a select number of products. It's made so that any device that can access it (PC/android/IOS/blackberry/windows/etc) while agreeing to their TOS can use it. Specifically taking it off one product line with no technical reasons as to why breaks that model.
Google taking away youtube for amazon fire products and getting them to try and sell google home and nest is nutty. Google's becoming the next microsoft more and more every day.

This mentality is EXACTLY what Amazon is banking on.

It's a tit for tat. Amazon doesn't play nice with competitors so Google isn't playing nice with them. On the short term, this will suck for consumers who will no longer be able to access YouTube on their devices. In the long term, it could lead to more options and more competition (assuming Amazon is successful in launching their own service).

For what it's worth though, I disagree with you. Google should not be expected to provide support to a competitor product any more than Amazon should be forced to sell competing products.

This mentality is EXACTLY what Amazon is banking on.

It's a tit for tat. Amazon doesn't play nice with competitors so Google isn't playing nice with them. On the short term, this will suck for consumers who will no longer be able to access YouTube on their devices. In the long term, it could lead to more options and more competition (assuming Amazon is successful in launching their own service).

For what it's worth though, I disagree with you. Google should not be expected to provide support to a competitor product any more than Amazon should be forced to sell competing products.
And i disagree with you. Services are not discriminatory. Selling or carrying a line of products definitely can be.
Has Amazon prevented google from using AWS? Is there a technical reason for not allowing youtube on android devices? Can i buy amazon products on the google store?

And i disagree with you. Services are not discriminatory. Selling or carrying a line of products definitely can be.
Has Amazon prevented google from using AWS? Is there a technical reason for not allowing youtube on android devices? Can i buy amazon products on the google store?

I just don't understand why you think that services aren't discriminatory. A service is just a type of product. I can't use Siri on Android can I? Why should I be able to use YouTube on an Amazon platform?

I just don't understand why you think that services aren't discriminatory. A service is just a type of product. I can't use Siri on Android can I? Why should I be able to use YouTube on an Amazon platform?
Because IOS is a different operating system than android. There is a technical reason (different compilers, different source code, different interpreter) why it can't be run. Can it be reworked to run on android? Sure.
There is no Amazon platform. FireOS is a android branch which fully runs every android program written. In the Fire TV you can sideload the play store and install anything you want. There is no technical reason why not to run youtube on a webpage or run the youtube app straight from google that works on samsung/sony/lg phones.

Amazon actively blocking select products that have run youtube in the past and can right now is akin to saying some lawncare service won't service someone's lawn because their black. Skin color makes no different and neither does the manufacturer of the android device.

I kind of want this to happen. Youtube needs some real competition. I don't believe Amazon will do a much better job with content than Youtube, but having a viable competing service for creators to expand to could be a good thing for those who's career is video content creation.

Twitch.TV kind of fits this already. A few Youtubers I follow have also set up on Twitch, at least. I think the issue is too many people think its only for game streaming.

I honestly hope it goes through. YT needs someone big enough to actually threaten their service to put an end to all this overly PC crap they are pulling and the abysmal way they are treating the content creators that made them what they are.

Twitch.TV kind of fits this already. A few Youtubers I follow have also set up on Twitch, at least. I think the issue is too many people think its only for game streaming.

Not really, those are very different platforms. Twitch in no way offers the kind of options and content for non live streams that YT does. I use both services quite a bit.

Because IOS is a different operating system than android. There is a technical reason (different compilers, different source code, different interpreter) why it can't be run. Can it be reworked to run on android? Sure.
There is no Amazon platform. FireOS is a android branch which fully runs every android program written. In the Fire TV you can sideload the play store and install anything you want. There is no technical reason why not to run youtube on a webpage or run the youtube app straight from google that works on samsung/sony/lg phones.

Amazon actively blocking select products that have run youtube in the past and can right now is akin to saying some lawncare service won't service someone's lawn because their black. Skin color makes no different and neither does the manufacturer of the android device.

No that isn't what it's like at all. One is a business decision, one is racism. Google has every right to pull their service from competing products, just as Amazon has every right to do the same.

On the short term, this will suck for consumers who will no longer be able to access YouTube on their devices.

That is the problem I was having with the whole Amazon vs Google thing, the consumer that already owned the device would be screwed over.

I run an htpc so it really wouldn’t impact me, however, I do have family/friends that run HDMI sticks because they are cheaper and easier to use for them.

Sucks for the consumer. I'm going to have to buy a Roku to replace my Firestick come January 1st. I mostly watch Youtube on my Firestick to this is a big deal to me and ALOT of people.

That is the problem I was having with the whole Amazon vs Google thing, the consumer that already owned the device would be screwed over.

I run an htpc so it really wouldn’t impact me, however, I do have family/friends that run HDMI sticks because they are cheaper and easier to use for them.

Yup, it sucks, but Amazon could fix the problem in two seconds if they just played nice with Google.

i'd love to see this.
especially with all the bitching about youtube demonetizing videos.
let's see if amzn can do it better

There is no way I'd count on Amazon being less SJW-centric than Youtube.

amazon what, from that octopus head vin diesel bald looking leftist motherfucker? no way bro, it would be even worse

If even one line of code must be modified to get the youtube app to execute on the fire stick then that means Google is providing support, hence they have the right to withdraw that support.

One way I can see Amazon making this viable is offering content creators much better revenue and not auto demonetizing videos. The thing is they will just upload to both.

Back