AMAZON - Metro Vacuum ED500 DataVac 500-Watt 0.75-HP Electric Duster 120 volt $47.98

I have this. It works really well, but JC is it loud.

When you folks say it's loud, are we talking kill your cat and your sperm count loud? As loud as a small Shop Vac?

I'd say just as loud as a shop vac but it's hard to compare since I don't own one. You don't necessarily need ear plugs or anything but it's pretty loud. It won't kill your cat or sperm count. I realize this may not be very helpful but I'm trying to think of something to compare it to. Honestly, it's probably pretty close to a blower that those landscaping guys use. The motor is freaking powerful.

I'm used to using a garage air compressor... will this thing eliminate the need for me drag my 100 pound PC into the garage? Are the results similar?

Screw the noise (as said earlier, it's comparable to a shop vac), if you don't own this, BUY IT NOW!!! This is without a doubt the most useful item in my PC tool kit.

I have one of these. Glad I bought it. It works great for my computers, game consoles, permanent filters on my air purifiers, and anything that could use a good blow.

Ok question guys...I been using shop vacs for years since it takes only 5 min tops to fully clean out a pc top notch......air cans have been worthless to me since going the shop vac method
Can this thing really hold a candle to a shop vac as far as air pressure? I might be tempted to buy one for use on the road if it really works as good as a small shop vac. BTW how long is it on sale for?

I bought one of these years ago and it's still going strong. Definitely one of my favorite gadgets especially for a neat freak like me.

These are super usefull you will never need to look for the canned air again and find its empty lol.
I use this on all kinds of stuff to blow out junk its as powerfull as a air compressor I would say for blowing stuff out and much easier to haul about.

Bought this during the last sale, and it rocks. It's about as loud as a home vac, I dont think its as loud as a shop vac. The main difference is the portion that makes the noise on the Metro is not at ground or even waist height, its is at the device height which brings the noise closer to your ear.

But holy moly, the Metro rocks!!! Make sure you are fully aware of where you are pointing it and what is in a large area around you because its strong!. I used it on my computer and the wind must have deflected off the chassis back onto my desk and blew papers around. Much stronger than expected, which is great.

Would it also work as an inflator for a raft or airbed?

I do not think there is a connector for that that would work for this. I dont know what the max PSI would be, but perhaps something small would work.

Homedepot has it at same price. Better yet, they have $5 off coupon (HDFIVE) .. make the price down to $42.98 + tax with free shipping.

I picked one up from Amazon after missing the last sale. I would only save a couple of bucks with the HD deal due to taxes and it shows estimated shipping or pickup to be after the 25th. I'm on the Amazon Prime trial so I just used that option for 2 day shipping.

technically...home depot should beat everyone's price by 10%....just show the add on your phone and if they have it in stock at home depot then you will get it for that price......(source...i used to work there and did it anytime people would ask) If they don't...hammer that person with a low questioner score (from your recite) and you can bet someone will call you back to make things right...trust me...if its not something they keep in the store...it can still be done but its just harder to make happen

Would it also work as an inflator for a raft or airbed?

Mine fills up an airbed just fine, and quite quickly. However, mine came with several attachments, and one of them is a nozzle shape which allows me to easily put it in the intake of the air bed.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I see a lot of people wondering about this product. It is a novelty item IMO. $50 for a cheap as all get out vacuum is ridiculous. The MSRP is a completely ridiculous.

http://www.amazon.com/Micro-Vacuum-...6&sr=8-1&keywords=micro+vacuum+attachment+kit

Buy something like that for $8 and you have all the same and more functionality to attach to your existing vacuum.

The name of this product is a bit of a misnomer. It's a blower, not exactly a vacuum in the sense we usually use them. So this is a replacement for canned air.

I see a lot of people wondering about this product. It is a novelty item IMO. $50 for a cheap as all get out vacuum is ridiculous. The MSRP is a completely ridiculous.

http://www.amazon.com/Micro-Vacuum-...6&sr=8-1&keywords=micro+vacuum+attachment+kit

Buy something like that for $8 and you have all the same and more functionality to attach to your existing vacuum.
Sorry, but you're wrong about this. The Datavac is an industrial grade blower not a vacuum, that is strong enough for any job. I have used mini-vacs in the past with disappointing results. Before I got my Datavac cleaning my multiple computers took most of the day and the cost of canned air was ridiculous. It now only takes me a couple of hours and the savings on not buying compressed air paid for this in less that 6 months.

Last edited:
You are dead wrong about this thing being a novelty item. As others have said, it is a blower, not a vacuum. It fits it's niche completely effectively and works so much better than trying to adapt your vacuum to clean computer equipment and makes canned air look like a joke.

Doh. I bought one of these two days ago from Amazon at $60 for my folks to clean out the electronics in some farm equipment. They keep borrowing mine and I want it back. It has been a life saver and wallet saver as far as cleaning computer cases goes, as compared to spending on that canned air junk.

Stupid question, but does amazon do any sort of price matching?
EDIT: Question answered, a quick and painless chat with amazon CS got me $13 refunded.

EDIT EDIT: Though it may be common sense, I will mention you want to use this on your computer outside or in a garage or something. The amount of dust that kicks up into the air when you blow out a dirty computer with this thing would be pretty nasty to just have floating around in your house. I would guess that would be the advantage of using a vacuum attachment to suck stuff up instead, though I am still not convinced a vacuum would get the dust out of a case as well.

Last edited:
You are dead wrong about this thing being a novelty item. As others have said, it is a blower, not a vacuum. It fits it's niche completely effectively and works so much better than trying to adapt your vacuum to clean computer equipment and makes canned air look like a joke.

Doh. I bought one of these two days ago from Amazon at $60 for my folks to clean out the electronics in some farm equipment. They keep borrowing mine and I want it back. It has been a life saver and wallet saver as far as cleaning computer cases goes, as compared to spending on that canned air junk.

Stupid question, but does amazon do any sort of price matching?
EDIT: Question answered, a quick and painless chat with amazon CS got me $13 refunded.

EDIT EDIT: Though it may be common sense, I will mention you want to use this on your computer outside or in a garage or something. The amount of dust that kicks up into the air when you blow out a dirty computer with this thing would be pretty nasty to just have floating around in your house. I would guess that would be the advantage of using a vacuum attachment to suck stuff up instead, though I am still not convinced a vacuum would get the dust out of a case as well.

Vacuum's are also capable of generating static electricity, so there's that issue as well.

In store or online? Online shows $63.99.

It's online:
Code:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Metro-Datavac-Electric-Duster-ED500/202814370#

[B]Metro Datavac Electric Duster     [/B]
[B]Model # ED500[/B]
[B]Internet # 202814370[/B]
  $47.98             / each     
  Was               $59.98         
  Price Valid :                                      12/16/2013 - 12/31/2013

Free shipping to home
To me, HD is better than amazon because I have to pay tax on Amazon too :D

I bought this some time ago. Never used it on anything because I was convinced the air it pushed out was way too powerful.

Well I guess I may have misspoke forgive me for assuming that an item called a vacuum is actually only a blower. But most vacuums allow you to flip the tube around and blow too if that is what you want. I personally I never got blowing because its stupid. you blow the dust around and it ends up back in your system. Vacuum it and it stays clean longer. Blowing dust around is not a solution its a bandaid.

And don't get me wrong I am not suggesting anyone go buy a minivac, I am telling you to use the vacuum you already have in your house unless you are one of the few people who has neither has a shop vac nor an upright vacuum that will allow you to do hose attachments.

But look if you want to buy it no problem great, just give a fair assessment of the thing when other people ask don't talk it up like its an irreplaceable item and nothing else will work. I have been shop vacuuming my systems for 6 years and have 5+ systems at any given time and never had a static discharge from a vacuum. In fact the only mention of static seems to come from reviewers in the amazon site not in the description of the datavac itself. Maybe its written somewhere else dunno.

That said for all the hate on vacuums guess what metros step up more expensive product is? A vacuum with similar attachments to the one I linked. Of course its a lot more expensive.

If you do on site PC repair I can see the compact size of this being a bonus when you have many other items to carry. For the home its just a redundant novelty.

Well I guess I may have misspoke forgive me for assuming that an item called a vacuum is actually only a blower. But most vacuums allow you to flip the tube around and blow too if that is what you want. I personally I never got blowing because its stupid. you blow the dust around and it ends up back in your system. Vacuum it and it stays clean longer. Blowing dust around is not a solution its a bandaid.

And don't get me wrong I am not suggesting anyone go buy a minivac, I am telling you to use the vacuum you already have in your house unless you are one of the few people who has neither has a shop vac nor an upright vacuum that will allow you to do hose attachments.

But look if you want to buy it no problem great, just give a fair assessment of the thing when other people ask don't talk it up like its an irreplaceable item and nothing else will work. I have been shop vacuuming my systems for 6 years and have 5+ systems at any given time and never had a static discharge from a vacuum. In fact the only mention of static seems to come from reviewers in the amazon site not in the description of the datavac itself. Maybe its written somewhere else dunno.

That said for all the hate on vacuums guess what metros step up more expensive product is? A vacuum with similar attachments to the one I linked. Of course its a lot more expensive.

If you do on site PC repair I can see the compact size of this being a bonus when you have many other items to carry. For the home its just a redundant novelty.

Vacuuming doesn't do nearly as good of a job in nooks and crannies.

As for dust ending back up in the system, I use a vacuum in conjunction with canned air to get the dust before it settles (when cleaning indoors). Mind you I don't have a shop vac, just a typical household vacuum.

Dude why do you even post this having NO FREAKING idea of what you are talking about?

Please anyone considering this product, ignore the nonsense this guy posted.
This product is superb and one I wish I bought a LONG time ago.
I use it for all my electronics, camera lenses and even the inside of my piano. It is a beast and excellent purchase.
Only people that are clueless will comment otherwise.
Regards

I use one at work for cleaning out PCs. We also have a Metro pro vacuum/blower combo units. No comparison, I would rather use the ED500 blower. Its more powerful with more coverage and allows me to clean much faster. The vacuum has its uses, but I find it only works well with the larger dust bunnies if you aren't using the small tip attachments. If you are constantly buying canned air, this thing is well worth the money.

Back