Amazon May Soon Need to Collect Sales Tax

But, what does this all have to do with one state trying to get businesses in another state to collect taxes for them?
I have no idea :|

It was raised by one forum member as an example of wasteful tax spending so I corrected him. That's the only relevance I can think of. Since then my posts have been getting hammered by the anti-government ideologues. But I'm done responding to them because every time I press submit I have asked myself what you asked me :D

So I go to Montana no state tax, and buy a lot of shit over the counter at mom and pap store. They have to now collect AZ sales tax and send it to AZ for me?

Ha!

While I personally don't give a shit about Amazon (I'm in WA, we already pay taxes, they sort of have a few operations here). Taxing things like newegg is going to suck :(.

So despite your ideological nitpickings, the *reality* is that the USPS does not rely on tax dollars to operate and does not prevent private delivery services from competing in delivering package in order to remain solvent. That's a nonsensical position that ignores the larger point for the sake of winning some internet "debate" chits--the larger picture is that the USPS is not a tax funded government failed operation, which was the original claim regardless of how many "monkeys" jump out of the barrel.

Yes, It DOES rely on tax dollars. Who do you think is loaning them the money to be able to stay running??
Additionally, I looked at the latest fiscal report, and it included $150 million in federal appropriations.

And the USPS has a mail monopoly - just not on packages.

And they are a definite FAIL for running so long in the red, and letting the taxpayer float them.

ANYWAY, I said a long time ago that internet tax was coming. I had also said to get used to the idea, because it's going to happen wheather you like it or not.

So I go to Montana no state tax, and buy a lot of shit over the counter at mom and pap store. They have to now collect AZ sales tax and send it to AZ for me?

Ha!
They've always supposed to have done this, and if a store doesn't do this you are required to declare your out of state expenditures and pay the taxes yourself.

Border stores often pay it for their customers, but they aren't required to do so. People living in Californians who travel to Oregon (or Washington State down to Oregon) are required to do this. It's the same thing if you travel down to Mexico or up to Canada, people just aren't aware of it and I doubt Uncle Sam really has the man-power or desire to go after people buying small items while on vacation.

Sort of like local places who get hurt by the internet and large B&M shops?

Amazon already has a huge advantage over other retailers in pricing, regardless of taxes. I can't fault them for fighting the taxes though. People will take as much as you let them. The boys in Washington are feeling the squeeze and it's about damn time.

Any time Democrats feel they're not getting enough of something they want they use the word "fairness". "It's not fair you're not paying us." "It's not fair that Rush Limbaugh can attract an audience but Air America flopped. Let's bring back the fairness doctrine." Same old crap. They beat up on "big tobacco" because of all that money they were making, they beat up on "big oil" because of all the money they were making, now they're beating up on "big Amazon" because of all the money it's making.

Result of beating up on big tobacco? Phillip Morris still exists, people are still dying of lung cancer, and lawyers got rich. Rest of the money went... who knows where.

Result of beating up on big oil? Gas prices are still up, alternative energy projects are stalled or non-existent, OPEC still control the tap, and speculators still control the prices. Oh yes, and as for all those oil companies making record profits? There's a moratorium on drilling and refinery construction. If oil prices increase due to increased demand and speculators raising the prices and OPEC not allowing more supply on the market, then oil companies will profit due the market forces with no way to invest the profits since they cannot drill or build more refineries. Media never tells you that bit though, so in the end what's changed? Oh yes, lawyers got rich when BP's well blew up.

What will the result of beating up on big Amazon be? If the law passes, prices go up, taxes for online shopping will cut into sales, and states will increase spending in anticipation of huge tax revenues that will fall short of expectations, thus increasing the state budget deficits even further, resulting in political finger pointing, recriminations, and even more bureaucratic incompetence, media white-washing, and calls for investigations into what went wrong. Oh yes, and lawyers will get rich again as Amazon and other online retailers have to wade through complex tax schemes, like in Ohio where sales tax varies by county.

That's "fairness" in action for you.

At one point, when I was in New Hampshire, I had no choice but to go to the internet for my computer parts, as the closest thing to a frys was a Best Buy no less than an hour away and with the price of gas, that was 11 dollars round trip in gas, that was if they even carried computer parts.

This is shenanigans, if tax rates weren't so insanely high here in San Diego (in my area 9.34%), I wouldn't mind purchasing locally, but when I am buying a $500 video card, that's the better part of $50 added to the price of the product!

No one want's to pay taxes, but why should I pay more for the same product!

If this happens, I will be purchasing products when I go to see my family in Montana where they don't pay taxes on this stuff, and bringing it home in my suitcase!

Sales tax on consumer goods is entirely regressive, this is unbelievably stupid.

Good. I work in retail and buying stuff tax free really hurts b&m. Since retail jobs are about the only thing a lot of people can find nowadays, this competition will help.

I am not sure it will help, it might even the playing field a bit... but the problem is with equal prices most consumers will go with whatever saves them time. I don't think it will have a huge impact at local stores. I don't normally have the time to drive to X stores searching for the lowest price nor the desire to have people try and up-sell...in the end though they need a way to sell it to voters and I do not think we need more money to keep spending is going to make it. Now on the other hand anyone promising job creation ...

Mainly the large B&M chains tried to increase profits to much to make the next qtr or to receive large bonuses(upper management). Management whips employees to upsell so they can get banners or their photo on the wall and maybe if they are lucky a promotion or bonus or maybe just keep their job. Employees who work for them normally don't want to be there and make sure the consumer knows it. Small stores simply have higher costs and one normally has to pay more, which in tough economic times is simply difficult for many to do. So in the end it will simply be a way for them to raise more tax revenue, and people will have simply less money to spend.

Just stealing more of your $$$ to buy votes (entitlements, bailouts, unions) to stay in power. Wake-up people vote them out, every 2,4,6 years. You have the power, not them. "the easiest way to take your power (& freedom) from you, is to convince you, that you have none."

I love the complete lack of anything resembling Christian charity in any of your posts. Selfish people like you are everything that is wrong with this country. Please move to a small government paradise like Somalia and get back to me on how great it is.

Since when is grabbing money from anyone at gunpoint considered 'charity'? Being compelled by law to give money is not charity. Would Jesus have hired a group of men to forcibly collect money with the threat of incarciration to further his charity work? Think about that for a second.

Reminds me of the instances I've seen of politicians attempting to have highschools mandate seniors 'volunteer' a certain number of hours to community service. Well, that's no longer volunteering now is it?

Main Street Fairness act? I'm so sick of politicians trying to pass off shitty bills under the guise of helping the common person.

The "We're going to fucking ream you" bill.

Whole bunch of unintended consequences in store for us if this is implemented. Any government step to inhibit a type of economic activity will not result in increased prosperity and higher revenues.

Just pounding more nails into the coffin while looking for more ways to get into our wallets.

Reminds me of the following: California's recent 1% increase in sales tax was enacted to supposedly cover the billions in their budget shorfall. Following this increase, politicians were shocked to learn that actual revenue increase was far smaller than anticipated. Why? People spent less. Human behavior changed. Business saw less revenue because people spent less. More layoffs. Less payroll tax. Less employed meant even less spending. Domino effect.

One thing I've learned over the years - more than anyone in the country, politicians in particular lack understanding of economics and the consequences of their actions.

That's the first though that crossed my mind when I read about this bill.
Amazon WILL cut off thier afilliates, and stop doing business with warehouse/companies that ship product for them that happen to have a California presence. The end result will be no increase in sales tax, and a drop in income tax. Just shows how clueless our elected officials are.

By far the most significant way to increase revenue to the government has always been a booming economy. Raising taxes in of itself has never generated revenue to the government faster than a solid economy. The irony is of course, one of the greatest means to economic success is lower taxes and less regulation, which is why you will see neither during this administration - although they love increases in revenue, there's one thing they love even more - the one thing that will result in slower increases in revenue - higher taxes. Oh the irony.

I mean, look at the latest payroll data, -27k public sector jobs dragging the economy down (again). Big gubmint!!!! Your spittle flecked rage is funny... and a little sad.

Do you know what is sad. A country conceived in liberty can easily tolerate almost half its economy consumed by government and citizens increasingly submitting to the dictates of bureaucrats. Not only submitting but actively encouraging other citizens that it is a good thing.

An army of bootlickers, loyal unto death, kneel before the power of central government and justify every new encroachment of freedom as being in our best interest.

Sad.

Just. Have. A. VAT. Already.

My take on this whole thing, we're heading towards it so we might as well do it.

Just. Have. A. VAT. Already.

My take on this whole thing, we're heading towards it so we might as well do it.

It might work if it replaces the existing tax structures. What's the chance of that happening? If anything, you'll have a VAT and still pay the local, state and federal taxes. So instead of 40% of your blood, they'll just grab 60%.

While Amazon already taxes me in NY so I only shop with them when they have a price error.....Newegg, O noes! :(

If the online store does not have a presence in that state then I do not see a tax being justified. Its no different if people from Washington come to Oregon to make purchases. If an internet sales tax is adopted, then people should have to show their state issued ID in all states to be charged the amount from their state.

Pretty mixed feelings about this. It's fair for Amazon to be charging sales tax, yet the fact they don't is the reason I shop there so much.

perhaps if people would quit dodging taxes people wouldn't make wildly ignorant and historically inaccurate statements like this...

pull your head out of your ass and take a good look at the national debt and get back to me on how that happened.

Yep. If the added sales tax revenue means the state stops going bankrupt, then I'm fine with it. Who knows, maybe they'll stop cranking up the property taxes and/or cutting funding for other services. :rolleyes:
Psst, Mr. Perfect I have this bridge in Brooklyn I'd like to sell you for a real good price. Dude I sure pray to Christ that you're being sarcastic. If there's more people out there who actually have that kind of "optimistic" opinion we're all in deep shit.

Yep. If the added sales tax revenue means the state stops going bankrupt, then I'm fine with it. Who knows, maybe they'll stop cranking up the property taxes and/or cutting funding for other services. :rolleyes:

Levying additional taxes historically does not close budget gaps. The more money they take in, the more money they squander.

So far, the gov. of TX, Rick Perry, has vetoed a bill that would force Amazon to pay tax (and therefore collect tax). Hopefully he can continue fighting off the tax-hungry politicians who want to tax Amazon.

Levying additional taxes historically does not close budget gaps. The more money they take in, the more money they squander.

What?? Are you serious? I'm sure if we just tax the rich more AND rich corporations more we can get out of debt faster and spread the wealth better. All those dang hoarders are the ones to blame. If we can tax their purchases on Amazon that's CERTAINLY a baby step in the right direction:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=661pi6K-8WQ&feature=share

/s

Considering how much they have resisted it thus far (closing distribution plants etc) I would suspect they would simply offshore their physical operation. Kind of the ultimate "**** you too buddy!"

I read all 10 pages.. wow... lots of people on both sides of the fence.

In essence... the current tax system is broken for many reasons..
A) cities, counties, districts and states have their own regulations and rates. This causes confusion and difficulty paying.
B) This bill seems to put a lot of pressure on states to enforce this. Typically, most states don't like that. So its going to have a lot of resistance.
C) The consumer will not benefit. While this bill has the possibility to bring in additional revenue... much of the tracking/auditing will eat away at this additional revenue and the states will still get screwed.

Personally, I can't stand Walmart anymore... why, there is very little value there. Online stores present additional value, typically in the form of customer service or free delivery, or return customer discounts.

Anyone that mentioned VAT should be shot. There is no added value when you tax people. While for the consumer,its nice that all the funds are already added in... its such a pita for businesses.

Back