Amazon - lots of items out of stock, declining customer service?

techie81

[H]ard for [H]ardware
I have emailed customer service several times in the last few months and have noticed that a majority of their responses are now almost fully scripted and do not answer the actual question I asked. I do not want to say that their customer service isn't good but I feel its definitely not what it use to be.

Second, I have noticed that a ton of items that I wanted for a new build have been out of stock. Some parts that come to mind are the Gigabyte UD4H, CM Hyper 212 Evo and R4 Fractal Design Mid tower case - but there are definitely more. I'm not sure of this is only computer component related?

Amazon is still my go to e-tailer but dealing with their CS recently has been frustrating. I want to see what other people have experienced.

why are you e-mailing them for?...give them a call...or more specifically they will call you immediately...there CS is second to none

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B005O65JXI

They have the 212 EVO, with prime avaible ... it just wasnt the default buy option for me atleast

http://www.amazon.com/Fractal-Desig...=1379199892&sr=1-2&keywords=r4+fractal+design

there is the R4 as well, did not see the UD4H from them in new condition, but WHD has 2 in like new condition

The Evo cooler fulfilled by that other company must have been added recently but its more expensive than Amazon and the case isnt the one I was trying to buy.

I want your guys' input and experience on more of a general level.

09/12/13 12:31:36

Your Name: s2ta
Order Id: #xxxxxxxxxxx
Comments:#xxxxxxxxxx Why hasn't this been shipped yet?

I ordered a large item(nzxt tempest 410) different from the above on Monday September 2 and I had it on Thursday of that week.

So my question... why has #xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Hyper 212 evo ) not been shipped yet? Why would you advertise something not in stock as being for sale? Is that the issue. It shouldn't take a month to ship #xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx. That's rediculous.

Price through Amazon = 36.84
----------
--------------------
Their Reply:
Hello,

I'm sorry for the delay in shipping your order.

I've checked into the availability of "Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan (#xxxxxxxxx)" and found that this title is listed on our web site with this availability estimate: "Usually ships within 1 to 2 months"

Items listed as "Usually ships within 1 to 2 months" typically take up to 2 months to obtain and prepare for shipment, but can occasionally take longer. As you may know, we have several fulfillment centers across the U.S., and the items in your order may sometimes be in stock at different locations. When you place your order, we estimate your shipment date based on the proximity of inventory to the delivery address, as well as how quickly we can obtain and assemble items for shipment.

I've upgraded the method of shipment for this order to Standard Shipping to help make up for the delay. There's no additional charge for this. The new revised delivery estimate for your order between October 17 and October 26.

I've also waived the full shipping charges for this package.

Here's the basic equation we use to determine your delivery date:

(Availability) + (Shipping Time) = Total Delivery Time

You'll find a complete description of our shipping times and costs on our web site at:

http://www.amazon.com/help/ship/

For future reference the estimated delivery date will be displayed:

* On the final screen of your order form, just before you click "Place your order." Or,
* In the online order summary located in Your Account.

If you'd rather cancel your order, I understand. To cancel your order, go to the URL below and click the "Need to cancel an item?" button:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/css/summary/edit.html?orderID=xxxxxxxxxxxxx
One of our aims at Amazon.com is to provide a convenient and efficient service; in this case, we haven't met that standard. I'm truly sorry, and I hope you'll give us another chance in the future.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Best regards,
Pradeep R.

Update: I hope Newegg puts it on sale so I can cancel my order. Or if I can find it somewhere cheaper.

Last edited:
It's been over a month now since I ordered a GPU from Amazon that was in stock and the order still showing their equivalent of "ETA unknown". That's apparently what I get for ordering it when it went on a really good sale. Within 24 hours of my order, the card went out of stock and the price went up $80-100. Now they hold the order hostage despite about seven different 3rd-party sellers with the same item in the past month who apparently were able to acquire and resell the same GPU model just fine. So Amazon with all its resources mysteriously can't source the product, but all of the small fries apparently are able to just fine.

Amazon finally sent me an email in the past week saying if they can't get in within another month they will cancel the order and I need to confirm one way or the other. Gee thanks. First of all, good thing I didn't need the card right away. And second, I had Prime when I placed the order, which has since run out, so if I were to cancel and reorder I would not be able to get the same level of shipping on a new order that I have on the order they refuse to fill. And third, no one's had the card for anywhere close to the price since, so it really feels like they just don't want to honor the pricing.

But that's actually my first negative experience with Amazon in over ten years of shopping there, so as sad as it is, it's not really representative of my overall experience with them.

Meanwhile, I continue to use my old GPU, determined to wait this out to either get the good deal on the new GPU that I ordered, or be perpetually annoyed that they were unable to fulfill something this simple or at least make it right in some other way.

Last edited:
Maybe the third party sellers are actually just people who bought the card at the sale price, and turned around and put it back up on the Amazon marketplace with 80-100 dollars mark up. Or maybe it's a conspiracy and Amazon doesn't want to sell you the card.

Or maybe they're simply unable to restock the card. Regardless, it's a crappy experience.

Hello,

We have good news! We're able to get this part of your order to you faster than we originally promised:

"Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan (#xxxxxxxxx)"
Previous estimated arrival date: October 17, 2013 - October 26, 2013
New estimated arrival date: September 23, 2013 - September 25, 2013

Thanks Amazon !

Last edited:
Back