Amazon Launches Fire OS Preview Based on Android 5.0 "Lollipop"

Terry Olaes

I Used to be the [H] News Guy
If you're an Android developer, you'll be interested to hear that Amazon released a preview edition of Fire OS built on Lollipop. Fire HD tablet owners should take note that the new OS will be released later this year.

This effort is a bit of catch up for Amazon, given that Google made Android 5.0 available last year. The company also introduced Android M last month, so by the time Amazon's Fire OS gains compatibility with Lollipop, it will again be a full Android release behind.

Hey alright, just in time for M to come out for everyone else.
If by "everyone else," you mean Nexus owners and "just in time" meaning that even some Nexus owners could be waiting a month or two after the initial M release, you're absolutely right. ;)

Seriously though, Lollipop is only at 12% penetration among Android users, so if a Lollipop-based FireOS is released pretty much anytime this year then those users will be ahead of the vast majority of Android users.

If by "everyone else," you mean Nexus owners and "just in time" meaning that even some Nexus owners could be waiting a month or two after the initial M release, you're absolutely right. ;)

Seriously though, Lollipop is only at 12% penetration among Android users, so if a Lollipop-based FireOS is released pretty much anytime this year then those users will be ahead of the vast majority of Android users.

Pretty much what I was gonna say. Welcome to the party pal!

I've had Lollipop for a long time now. This is [H] after all, we're hardly the typical crowd here.

I've had Lollipop for a long time now. This is [H] after all, we're hardly the typical crowd here.
Even the [H]ardest crowd short of active Android developers is going to be waiting a while past initial release for M. Even people running custom ROMs are going to be waiting for their chosen OS version to be tested and found to be working for their particular device.

Me, I updated my Nexus 6 to 5.1.1 before it was released by T-Mobile and ended up having to go through a full factory reset so that I could get the proper, delayed T-Mobile 5.1.1 which included WiFi calling (an absolute godsend for my apartment). I've thus resolved not to play around with the OS anymore...though to be fair I'm unlikely to need to since it's unlikely that T-Mobile will be adding huge, new, carrier-specific features when M is released.

Back