Amazon Kindle/Fire $50 off, PaperWhite/HDX $75 Off *Restrictions*

I am all in for Amazon infrastructure (Prime, Roku/AIV/Cloudplayer/Kindles etc) but honestly after this offer and not getting in on it, there is zero chance I buy anything else from them in this regard without some kind of huge deal. I understand they have to do outreach but come on.

Picked up a $19 Kindle for my wife. Doubt she will use it, but for the price - I'm not complaining.

I am all in for Amazon infrastructure (Prime, Roku/AIV/Cloudplayer/Kindles etc) but honestly after this offer and not getting in on it, there is zero chance I buy anything else from them in this regard without some kind of huge deal. I understand they have to do outreach but come on.

This seems pretty naive - if you are already using all the paid services they are trying to promote, why would they give you a discount? They don't need to convince / convert you. This deal seems to be targeted at people who didn't already have amazon content devices...
If you want the deal, email them and say you're bummed and see if they make the "one time exception" they make.

I got on chat w them while the deal was on and they gave me $30 promo discount and then said I have been made eligible for the offer. But that email never came.

This seems pretty naive - if you are already using all the paid services they are trying to promote, why would they give you a discount? They don't need to convince / convert you. This deal seems to be targeted at people who didn't already have amazon content devices...
If you want the deal, email them and say you're bummed and see if they make the "one time exception" they make.

That's still pretty silly. Sure, I have a single old-school Kindle on my account, but it's my GF's and we don't really buy content for it through Amazon. I've been looking at Kindle Fires and whatnot (they can see my view history) and I would have definitely considered one at those prices. Guess they just don't want my money that bad.

They don't want your money for a loss leader device if you don't consume content. Why should they sell you a deeply discounted device if you aren't going to use their services and/or buy content?

Who would apple more likely give a discount on an ipod/ipad: The guy who has an iphone and buys a lot of apps, music, and movies, or the guy who has an iphone and has never purchased anything from itunes?

Who would they most likely give a discount to: The guy who already has the device and doesn't consume content, or the person who shops for merchandise with them but doesn't have a device (and therefore may not know about their content and services).

I get being bummed. I've had 4 kindles. I'd love a new paperwhite. But I get why I wasn't targeted...

They can't afford to sell everyone a Kindle for $19. If they could, then the Kindle would just cost $19. They have to at least use some basic analytics to try and determine if the person buying the device is likely to consume enough additional content to make it worth giving them a device at a price close to cost. I don't know what their methodology is, but it would be foolish for them to offer this price to everyone in the world. If they're going to cut pricing this much, it has to be a targeted offer.

I easily spend between $2-4K/year on Amazon for the past 4 years and have been a prime member with many paperback books ordered. Still wasn't targetted.

I have been a Prime member for years and spend plenty of money with them - I received the previous Kindle offer, but not this one. I'm fine with that and it certainly won't lead me to whining and changing my habits over $50....please.

It's nothing naive; as I said in my post, I understand they are doing outreach. Think of it as the "Steam sale effect" for hardware; while I will continue to use them for content, when I next get ready to buy a device/expand my hardware infrastructure, I am not going to enjoy spending 75 more dollars on a Fire or an Amazon set top at all, and will just as likely look elsewhere.

I am not one to complain about Amazons service because for normal issues I love them but the GTX 780 price-error price matching saga really frustrated me with their selective service and I am not a fan of random advertising with no or hidden criteria. I know they are doing it to avoid resellers but I spend enough that I feel left out.

I just got my Kindle.

Not terribly wild about it to be honest. I think I should have gotten a Paperwhite. It's not really the lack illumination, either. It's mainly the buttons to flip pages. I don't see why they're located where they are, and why they're so tiny. Not to mention they seem to lack quality. They're annoying to press. They ruin my enjoyment of reading the book by quite a bit. Like I have to sometimes look down and see whether I'm on the next or previous page buttons. I think it would have been better if they were larger buttons on the bottom left and right of the device that flipped the pages back and forth. Where they have them now makes no sense to me because it's not nearly as wide or heavy as a book, so that's not where I hold it. Even when it comes to books I usually hold down the center and turn with the other hand. The position and quality of these buttons just makes page turning slower and it's pretty awkward for me. I think I'll be sending it back to them. Even for 50 bucks off, I just don't care for it too much.

There's also how the screen has to turn black and then redraw every page, but I could have gotten used to that, mostly. The way the library is a god awful disorganized mess is kind of a pain but that's probably due to Calibre not sorting into folders... probably.

I'll probably first check to see if I could exchange this for a Paperwhite at the discounted price. If not, I'll probably just give them back their device. I'd sadly rather read on my phone, battery life and eye tiredness and all. Not quite decided on that, but... probably what I'm gonna do.

Got a paperwhite, love it so far. Wifes reading Game of Thrones to me at bed time :)

I almost bought a nook glo a couple months ago for $50, glad I got a paperwhite instead for that price.

I've read almost a full book since getting my Paperwhite a few days ago. I am a lot more impressed than I was expecting to be!

Back