Amazon is Reportedly Tired of Selling Low Cost Items

Their packing quality has really sucked lately.

It's been shitty for a while; that was the primary reason I cancelled Prime years ago. The straw that broke the camel's back was shipping a bare 3.5" hard drive in a bubble mailer. If I have to return it, then it's not saving me time compared to local retail. And I shudder to think how much waste Amazon generates due to poor packaging.

Watch Amazon solve this by making everything under $10 an Add On Item.

Which basically means spend $20 or stop wasting our time.

This is the most obvious answer, keep selling cheap crap, but require a lot of it to make shipping worthwhile. More inventory moving, less shipping costs for Amazon, problem solved for them.

Wonderful. Bezos made billions by creating a very easy to use shopping site, and because that's not enough, he's going to ruin it? What a dick move. I guess he wants to join the asshole club with Gates. Not that amazon is perfect, but it's been pretty good. The tiny 'add on' items that were difficult to find pretty much anywhere, were one of the great things about it.

No if you actually read your article you would know the plan. The plan is to stop selling, stocked and shipped form amazon. Unprofitable heavy or bulky merchandise. IT will either be sold by 3rd parties, repackaged to be less problematic, or it will be moved to amazon pantry where they force you to fill a box. Given the description I could also see "add on" items being reworked to actually have to be available in the same warehouse as items being added on to.

monoprice.com or even eBay

Ebay is always cheaper for small electronics even without their sales. Amazon 3rd party prices are insane, and that is how you get most cheap electronics on Amazon. That being said a lot of the cheap electronic stuff sold on ebay are crap which is understandable. I did get two fully functional 3.5mm cables for $2.50 shipped or something and they work fine, but my two $1.95 USB Type A to Type C converters suck. Got an instant refund though.

Even in other categories Amazon is far more expensive. I have been collecting model airplanes over the past year and ebay sellers are around $15-20 cheaper, same with independent website/stores.

Because they don't. Amazon most likely is losing money on items like these. It would be irresponsible to their shareholders to not trim the CRaP.
Not everything under the sun is suitable for online purchases.
I wake up in cold sweats worrying about Amazon losing out on margin.

wow $30 + for 24 cokes???? WTF....can get it at walmart for like less that $9 for a cube of 30.

Well who is to blame ?
I mean you cant sell what you don't have on the shelves ( in retail at least, politicians do it all day )
So get your mind out of your wallet Bezos, and do some real sh,,,,,, stuff.

On the other hand buying cheap stuff out of China, thats like shooting yourself in the foot and then go soak in some rural stream there with polka-dotted purple water in it.

If I don't like what Amazon or Walmart sells, I'll go to their competitors down the street. Oh wait, Amazon and Walmart ran them out of business. I give a shout out to the living dead who stood in line while the corporations cold centralized, so serene on the screen you was mesmerized.

Yep, I recently ordered some Gillette blades that were sold and shipped by "Amazon.com". They were horrible fakes.

I've been having issues with this. Amazon is turning into the U.S version of Alibaba. Lots of fake/counterfeit crap showing up. I've gotten fake Colognes, razors, Adidas apparel.. I'd rather go to actual stores for these now. I hate crapshoot of buying...waiting a few days... It being fake.. returning. If I can walk into a store buy/check/return if need be on the same day.. I do.

Today is the day somebody realized they could start a company that will one day compete with Amazon.

Unlikely. They would end up running into the same issues Amazon has, unless they want to operate at a loss forever.

I've been having issues with this. Amazon is turning into the U.S version of Alibaba. Lots of fake/counterfeit crap showing up. I've gotten fake Colognes, razors, Adidas apparel.. I'd rather go to actual stores for these now. I hate crapshoot of buying...waiting a few days... It being fake.. returning. If I can walk into a store buy/check/return if need be on the same day.. I do.

I know someone who received a counterfeit JBL Extreme Bluetooth speaker from them.

Even in other categories Amazon is far more expensive. I have been collecting model airplanes over the past year and ebay sellers are around $15-20 cheaper, same with independent website/stores.

What is happening is that some of the web vendors I deal (for example spruebrothers.com) with are selling on Amazon with shipping included in the price as to give the apperance of "free shipping"

Well, not that I am not using Amazon, but I am branching out. Also I lost all confidence in their prices, that is not a good thing for them.

Nothing is too big to fail. Alibaba and rakutan and jet are just going to get more stuff to sell.
Wall Street was too big to fail. They destroyed the worlds economy, and only Berine Maddoff who did a 50 billion dollar Ponzi scheme went to jail.

Amazon is Reportedly Tired of Selling Low Cost Items

To be honest, I'm getting tired of buying low cost quality things from Amazon. So...this is great timing. Thanks, Jeff!

Nothing is too big to fail. Alibaba and rakutan and jet are just going to get more stuff to sell.
As a sidenote, "too big to fail" doesn't mean they literally can't fail. It means a company impacts so much of the economy that if they fail, they take the rest of us down with it.

Amazon is definitely worth shopping at, as long as you specifically know what you are looking for. Walmart is no threat to them, since Walmart cannot even be bothered to stock their stores with needed items consistently or at all.

I wear 30 x 30 loose fitting Wrangler jeans. 3 Walmart stores within 20 miles had absolutely none. Went to Amazon, bought them and had them delivered, no problem. Walmart is a joke since they usually do not have what I need.

I won't miss Amazon one bit, so long as I can order some of the same goods through some other online seller. If they disappeared tomorrow, nobody would lament their passage in ten years time.

I won't miss Amazon one bit, so long as I can order some of the same goods through some other online seller.

Such as? You sound like those who are cheering the possibility that Spectrum might kicked out of New York State but when asked who would replace them, you either get no answer or an answer of someone. Funny, I have never heard of a company called Someone Cable Internet.

What’s with those coke prices?

ngbbs43cddec7e2b26.jpg

In other news, Amazon seems to have a new "Prime, but not really Prime" catagory. Yes, it has the PRIME banner plastered all over it, but has this little note you won't see unless you click on the "read more" triangle:

"In order for us to bring you the broadest possible selection, some Prime items cannot be delivered in less than 3 business days. Most common reasons include item restricted to ground shipping or requiring extra time to prepare for shipment."

The item was neither.

Amazon is starting to suffer from "Going to shit" creep lately. Prime is getting more and more expensive, and less useful, very year.

I canceled my prime this year. Reasons noted above in other posts as well as I can wait to hit $35 for free shipping.

Also, I looked over my purchases, and determined I actually might be able to get more stuff for less without prime. Prime costs $119/year - that provides the free shipping but no items. Say you have a purchase of $26 queue and need an extra $9 in items for free shipping. Well with the $119 I didn't spend on prime I can bulk out that order to qualify for free shipping and get extra items. As long as your total "add this to hit free shipping" tack-ons don't exceed the price of prime you end up with more stuff for less money.

Last edited:
Back