Amazon Is Reportedly Launching a New Line of Grocery Stores in Major US Cities

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
The acquisition of Whole Foods Market was just the beginning: according to The Wall Street Journal, Amazon will be doubling down on the grocery business by opening dozens of new stores throughout the US, which may or may not carry the online retailer’s name. The first store will reportedly debut in Los Angeles as soon as this year and be distinct from Whole Foods, offering a larger variety of food.

Whole Foods is limited to the types of items it can carry because of its quality standards and commitment to natural ingredients. A different store aimed more at mainstream customers could carry items from the biggest brands and could compete directly with big-box stores like Walmart, Target, and regional grocers. The new stores are planned to be about 35,000 square feet, which is typically smaller than a traditional grocery store, according to the report.

Interesting, but I will pass since I just weened myself off Amazon totally.

Reactions: Maxx
like this
Saw this on the news yesterday.1 in la I think December of this year with more coming in 2020.

Ween yourself off Amazon? Publix? Ruin grocery stores for us?

Since when did low prices and extreme convenience become such a burden to society? I save thousands of dollars a year on products/goods by ordering from Amazon instead of going to local stores. I literally avoid Publix like the plague because my cost comparisons show that I undoubtedly spend more money for the same items.

This news makes me hope for one thing from Amazon grocery stores: generics. I almost exclusively buy generics because I dont give a crap about name brands and paying more for essentially the same things. A lot of people even think they save money by buying name brand in bulk from places like Costco, but Ive done the math for the stuff I buy and Walmart generics come out ahead almost every single time and you dont need to buy 40,000 rolls of toilet paper to get the deal while making everyone think you are living off of hotpockets.

Ween yourself off Amazon? Publix? Ruin grocery stores for us?

Since when did low prices and extreme convenience become such a burden to society? I save thousands of dollars a year on products/goods by ordering from Amazon instead of going to local stores. I literally avoid Publix like the plague because my cost comparisons show that I undoubtedly spend more money for the same items.

This news makes me hope for one thing from Amazon grocery stores: generics. I almost exclusively buy generics because I dont give a crap about name brands and paying more for essentially the same things. A lot of people even think they save money by buying name brand in bulk from places like Costco, but Ive done the math for the stuff I buy and Walmart generics come out ahead almost every single time and you dont need to buy 40,000 rolls of toilet paper to get the deal while making everyone think you are living off of hotpockets.

If you were living off of hot pockets you'd probably need 40,000 rolls of toilet paper.

I've surrendered to Wal*Mart years ago even though they pay their employees pennies and tell them to make up the difference with government assistance. It is just easier to get everything I need with one stop on the way home from work and I'm well-dressed in a pair of jeans, t-shirt, and work boots. I did look at Prime Pantry but the selection is poor and it is generally more expensive than Wal*Mart. Pubix is OK for essentials and deli but they are way too expensive for frozen packaged goods.

i feel like i am the only person who doesn't have an amazon account.

walmart will still likely be cheaper.

I don't find Amazon groceries to be cheaper then local stores. I find most stuff to be a lot more expensive.

I try to patronize local businesses much as possible. I get my meat and necessities from costco and my fruits and vedgies from the local farmers market. I'd boycott costco if there was a decent butcher shop nearby.

if they can get me a better quality of fresh veggies at a reasonable price than what im getting locally now. i will go there.

My new favorite grocery store is Aldi. I'm saving about 20-30% a week on groceries by shopping here. Things that take getting used to:
1. Using non-name brands. Aldi has some brands you've heard of, but the rest are "stored brands". Most of the products are comparable to what you are used to.
2. You need a quarter to get a cart. This sucks if you don't have a quarter...
3. As you shop, I recommend grabbing empty boxes from the shelves as you get charged for bags.
I'm fine with another player entering the market. Competition is usually a good thing. If Amazon can bring better deals, I'll shop there. If not, I'll stick to Aldi for most of my groceries. (I still check out other stores in the area - if I see a better deal, I'll get the deal if it makes sense).

Back