Amazon Is Kicking All Unauthorized Apple Refurbishers off Amazon Marketplace

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
More Apple products are coming to Amazon under a new deal, but it comes with a caveat for independent resellers, who will no longer be able to sell Apple products on the site without authorization after Jan. 4, 2019. Motherboard calls this “the latest in Apple’s long-running list of business decisions that allow it to lock down the repair, refurbishment, and end-of-life of its products.” Independent repair star Louis Rossmann has published his thoughts in his latest video.

“As part of a new agreement with Apple, we are working with a select group of authorized resellers to offer an expanded selection of Apple and Beats products, including new releases, in Amazon’s stores,” the email says. “You are receiving this message because you are currently selling, or have previously sold, Apple or Beats products. Your existing offers for those products will soon be removed from Amazon’s online store in the United States. Please contact Apple if you would like to apply to become an authorized reseller on Amazon.”

Thanks Corporate America for killing our planet. Instead of supporting right to repair, you're profit mongering promotes a throw-away society.

Thanks Corporate America for killing our planet. Instead of supporting right to repair, you're profit mongering promotes a throw-away society.
In fairness, "Corporate America" also researched, designed, modeled, developed, tested, and manufactured the same device.

Of course I don't support this move by Apple. However, consumers have made it absolutely clear: Apple, you can abuse the shit out of us and we will buy your products. To the end.

That's on the consumer, not "Corporate America."

Apple must lock down these repair revenue streams because they produce products with very slim margins. *smack* Oh hang on... it's because the products have obscene high margins and low cost repairs hurt the brand prestige.

And that's bad for customers. Apple customers must pay (obscenely) across the Apple distortion spectrum - otherwise it would give the impression that Apple only wants to screw customers on the first date.

I don't hate the idea, much of the refurb on Amazon for Apple products has been shit. It is not refurbed when you just cleaned it off and stuck it in a new box.

Louis is great. Been subscribed to his Youtube channel for quite awhile now. He's been showing Apple for the dipshits they are for a long time while the general population is too dumb to get it and continue to throw their cash at overpriced junk.

Reactions: Zuul
like this
Capitalism is literally out of control. As consumers we have to power to change things, but we're too damn lazy, too stuck in our ways to stand up and make a change.

crApple rot to the core.
Glad I no longer own anything from those lines. Had a 2nd gen iPod Shuffle, and the Apple AA charger that used rebranded Eneloop batteries because of it's compact size, which was stolen last year.

I have never, bought an Apple product. I won't because if I buy it I should own it and be able to repair it.
I am not here to appease Steve Jobs ghost.

What's going on is really simple. Apple has hit the peak market share. They no longer share sales data. They are no longer growing by selling more phones, so they have to grow by charging more and blocking repairs so people have to buy new products.

Some times i am wrong, but with this brand i am happy to say my fears get confirmed again and again.
I am actually to some degree apprehensive towards users of their products.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
I’m torn by this. On one hand do I want to trust Joe Blow with my $1000 iPhoneX? What if he fucks it up more? Chances are if he does I’ll be paying more than if I were to have gone through Apple the first time around. If he doesn’t though, then I saved myself money.

Also, do I want to trust some unknown brand screen (or any other part) with god knows what quality control with my expensive phone?

To me there’s caveats, while having the option to repair it yourself is nice, sometimes (IMO) it’s just better to pay a little more for work that’s mostly guaranteed (and warrantied if not done right).

I’m torn by this. On one hand do I want to trust Joe Blow with my $1000 iPhoneX? What if he fucks it up more? Chances are if he does I’ll be paying more than if I were to have gone through Apple the first time around. If he doesn’t though, then I saved myself money.

Also, do I want to trust some unknown brand screen (or any other part) with god knows what quality control with my expensive phone?

To me there’s caveats, while having the option to repair it yourself is nice, sometimes (IMO) it’s just better to pay a little more for work that’s mostly guaranteed (and warrantied if not done right).

Whether or not you wish to use third party repairs doesn't mean that others should have their options taken from them. Why should I not be able to have a third party repair a phone just because you're ok bending over for Apple ?

I'm very confident this breaches first sale doctrine. If you physically have the product and you paid fair and square for it, Apple has no legal grounds to block sale of it in the USA. No matter what.

If you own or have bought an overpriced apple product then you supported apples policies. The simple solution to combat this .....is not to buy their products.

Same could be said about....Every single megacorp in the world. Realistically, we are ALL buying products from shitty companies.

If you physically have the product and you paid fair and square for it, Apple has no legal grounds to block sale of it in the USA. No matter what.
And they're not. Amazon, however, has the right to refuse to let you sell your item on their web site. This deal with Apple states that only Apple will sell Apple products on Amazon. It's not stopping you from selling your iPhone on Craigslist or Swappa or Facebook. Just on Amazon.

Whether or not you wish to use third party repairs doesn't mean that others should have their options taken from them. Why should I not be able to have a third party repair a phone just because you're ok bending over for Apple ?

Hence why I said I’m torn on this. I like fixing my own stuff as well, but if the option isn’t available I don’t know which I’d prefer. Doesn’t mean it applies to everyone else, just my thoughts on it. Never did I once state anyone who doesn’t feel like I do is wrong.

In a nutshell: Calm down, breathe.

Look, Apple is not precluding the sale of replacement parts flat out.

They are just fixing the market so you have to, probably, go through getting all your toenails ripped off and then get scalped alive to get a genuine leather certificate from Apple that says you are allowed to sell said Apple product replacement parts on Amazon.

Also often a third party is the only option. Apple sucks at repairs. In general you are good if the device is covered by Apple Care, they'll do whatever it takes to fix it including replace it (there are exceptions like Linus's experience with the iMac Pro). If it isn't covered, but is reasonably new, they'll usually fix it... at an extremely inflated price. Like sometimes they charge more than a replacement. If it is an older product though? Nope. You can't get it repaired, you just have to buy a new one. So in those cases, a third party is the ONLY option for repair. If they fuck it up, well it wasn't getting fixed anyhow.

Fuck their Ferengi business model and the politicians they own. Never owned an Apple product, never will.

Okay, and how does that not fall under monopoly law exactly? I think it might.

And they're not. Amazon, however, has the right to refuse to let you sell your item on their web site. This deal with Apple states that only Apple will sell Apple products on Amazon. It's not stopping you from selling your iPhone on Craigslist or Swappa or Facebook. Just on Amazon.

That's like me not being able to sell my Ford after the warranty runs out. Wtf? Why should a company determine end of life and not the user?

Okay, and how does that not fall under monopoly law exactly? I think it might.

That's like me not being able to sell my Ford after the warranty runs out. Wtf? Why should a company determine end of life and not the user?

It doesn't because it is merely an agreement between Apple and Amazon. Amazon has the right to dictate what happens in their marketplace.

Your Ford example is flat out wrong. It is like you had your Ford at the local independent used car lot on consignment, then the used car lot says they can no longer accept Ford vehicles because they signed an agreement with GM to sell only GM. It in no way precludes you from selling through any other avenue. Of course, this being Amazon, it is like saying said used car lot is the only used car lot in city, but under the eyes of the law, it is not a monopoly.

It doesn't because it is merely an agreement between Apple and Amazon. Amazon has the right to dictate what happens in their marketplace.

Your Ford example is flat out wrong. It is like you had your Ford at the local independent used car lot on consignment, then the used car lot says they can no longer accept Ford vehicles because they signed an agreement with GM to sell only GM. It in no way precludes you from selling through any other avenue. Of course, this being Amazon, it is like saying said used car lot is the only used car lot in city, but under the eyes of the law, it is not a monopoly.
I get it, and my example is flawed. But being that Amazon is one of the main ways for selling this particular product is like saying you can't sell your car on Craigslist anymore. Fact is this is just the beginning. Apple will do all they can to stop the existence of Apple machines over a few years old.

These are the same people that hate Trump yet it's their own politicians they voted for that's screwing them.

It's the movie Idiocracy in real life.

Love all the knee jerk reactions here, Amazon isn't clearing only Apple products, although its probably the most affected.

They aren't clearing ALL refurbs, only those who aren't legitimate, much like that guy who bitched about Apple (except is was the government) for taking away his illegal batteries, I'd say 9/10 of the *reburb* sales on Amazon are scams.

But no, this is probably Amazon being controlled by Apple lol!

I get it, and my example is flawed. But being that Amazon is one of the main ways for selling this particular product is like saying you can't sell your car on Craigslist anymore. Fact is this is just the beginning. Apple will do all they can to stop the existence of Apple machines over a few years old.

They will do what they can, but those that actually want to keep their old machines will find alternatives. The ones that are on the fence don't really care one way or the other in the first place.

Are there any authorized apple refurbishers? Nope, there are none, not even apple authorized repair shops are allowed to touch older macs. (And for them a few year old can easily be too old)

And since they are designed so brilliantly that they will break. Apple should be fined for creating avoidable waste.
No, you can't blame the consumer that they let themselves be fooled. Would you let go a killer, and blame the dead person that they let themselves be killed?

In fairness, "Corporate America" also researched, designed, modeled, developed, tested, and manufactured the same device.

Of course I don't support this move by Apple. However, consumers have made it absolutely clear: Apple, you can abuse the shit out of us and we will buy your products. To the end.

Yeah, they developed planned obsolesence to perfection. At least apple did. Other laptops usually just work, especially if you take care of it. Macbooks will break even from regular usage, hell you don't even have to use it, just have it in a slightly humid enivornment, and apple will deny you all repair claiming it is water damaged. Not that water damaged laptops can't be repaired, they just don't want to.

Component level board repair should be mandatory on all consumer electronics that is less than 10 years old. Most people are forced to throw out devices that are perfectly suited to their needs prematurely.

Apple is a for-profit corporation, who struck a deal with another for-profit corporation, Amazon. Why is this Apples fault and not Amazon? Amazon is the one who decided to screw over their resellers and accept the terms of the deal. Obviously Amazon felt they could make more money selling Apple items than whatever they are making off these unauthorized resellers. If you want to be an Apple authorized reseller, accept the terms of their deal. If I want to resell VMware, I have to pay an annual fee and abide by all their terms.

Neither Apple, nor Amazon are stopping you from repairing Macbooks and selling them. Amazon has accepted a deal that is disallowing you to sell them on Amazon. Go to ebay.

Most of my Apple products have lasted longer than my other non-Apple tech products. Meh.

Hence why I said I’m torn on this. I like fixing my own stuff as well, but if the option isn’t available I don’t know which I’d prefer. Doesn’t mean it applies to everyone else, just my thoughts on it. Never did I once state anyone who doesn’t feel like I do is wrong.

In a nutshell: Calm down, breathe.

Did you just assume my state of mind ?

/s

I'm an odd duck and like the abuse.

Capitalism is literally out of control. As consumers we have to power to change things, but we're too damn lazy, too stuck in our ways to stand up and make a change.

Who's "we", I don't by any Apple shit although my wife likes the brand.

Back