Amazon Is in Talks to Bring Amazon Go to Airports

cageymaru

Fully [H]
Amazon is in talks with management at various major airports to bring its cashier-less shopping experience called Amazon Go to the millions of fliers in the USA. Shoppers would scan their smartphones at a turnstile to enter the establishments. The cameras inside the store automatically identify what the shopper picks up off the shelves. When the shopper leaves the store, Amazon bills their credit card on file. Reuters has documented multiple managers at airports requesting the Amazon Go service at their facilities. An Amazon spokeswoman declined to comment.

"The lead for Amazon Go requested a meeting," read a June 27 email from a technology adviser who supports Los Angeles International, the second-busiest airport in the country, to a concessions official. "Interested?" "Yes. Thanks!" the concessions official replied. Officials from both airports have since told Reuters they had no further correspondence about Amazon Go and that the retailer would have to undergo a competitive bid process to become a concessionaire, as is typical. The company's cloud unit, Amazon Web Services, has been in touch with airports for other purposes.

Hmm, no more grumpy check out cashier giving me 1/2" of counter space to put down my drink and pay? Fine with me. Feeding the Amazon camera record and shopping pattern big data program... nope.

In order for this system to work, Amazon would have to register every persons biosigns and/or rf tag them. I'm dumbfounded this was ever accepted anywhere. This is completely Orwellian development.

In order for this system to work, Amazon would have to register every persons biosigns and/or rf tag them. I'm dumbfounded this was ever accepted anywhere. This is completely Orwellian development.
And yet completely inevitable.

Or maybe they could... just spit-balling here... use a smartphone app?

Or maybe they could... just spit-balling here... use a smartphone app?
They have to facially recognize you to tell who takes products from the shelf... and Vildayyan2003 - it's completely avoidable and unnecessary.

They have to facially recognize you to tell who takes products from the shelf... and Vildayyan2003 - it's completely avoidable and unnecessary.
Or not.

Tech Crunch said:
Notably, there is no facial recognition used (I asked). Amazon perhaps sensed early on that this would earn them rebuke from privacy-conscious shoppers, though the idea of those people coming to this store strikes me as unlikely. Instead, the system uses other visual cues and watches for continuity between cameras — you’re never not in sight of a lens, so it’s easy for the system to see a shopper move from one camera to another and make the connection.

Next they are going to bring Amazon Go inside a Walmart right next to McDonalds.

Back