Amazon Is in Talks to Bring Amazon Go to Airports

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by cageymaru, Dec 7, 2018.

1. cageymaru

cageymaru [H]ard as it Gets

Amazon is in talks with management at various major airports to bring its cashier-less shopping experience called Amazon Go to the millions of fliers in the USA. Shoppers would scan their smartphones at a turnstile to enter the establishments. The cameras inside the store automatically identify what the shopper picks up off the shelves. When the shopper leaves the store, Amazon bills their credit card on file. Reuters has documented multiple managers at airports requesting the Amazon Go service at their facilities. An Amazon spokeswoman declined to comment.

"The lead for Amazon Go requested a meeting," read a June 27 email from a technology adviser who supports Los Angeles International, the second-busiest airport in the country, to a concessions official. "Interested?" "Yes. Thanks!" the concessions official replied. Officials from both airports have since told Reuters they had no further correspondence about Amazon Go and that the retailer would have to undergo a competitive bid process to become a concessionaire, as is typical. The company's cloud unit, Amazon Web Services, has been in touch with airports for other purposes.

2. That_Sound_Guy

That_Sound_Guy 2[H]4U

Hmm, no more grumpy check out cashier giving me 1/2" of counter space to put down my drink and pay? Fine with me. Feeding the Amazon camera record and shopping pattern big data program... nope.

LightsOut41 and B00nie like this.
  3. WhoMe

WhoMe Gawd

Amazon is in talks to take over the entire retail market.

4. Twisted Kidney

Twisted Kidney 2[H]4U

Talking is what you do while you search for your hammer.

5. bobdabilder

bobdabilder Limp Gawd

I'm gonna go with fuck you amazon for 200, alex

LightsOut41, Etherton and Oldmodder like this.
  6. B00nie

B00nie [H]ardness Supreme

In order for this system to work, Amazon would have to register every persons biosigns and/or rf tag them. I'm dumbfounded this was ever accepted anywhere. This is completely Orwellian development.

LightsOut41 and The Mad Atheist like this.
  7. Vildayyan2003

Vildayyan2003 Gawd

And yet completely inevitable.

8. capt_cope

capt_cope Gawd

Or maybe they could... just spit-balling here... use a smartphone app?

9. B00nie

They have to facially recognize you to tell who takes products from the shelf... and Vildayyan2003 - it's completely avoidable and unnecessary.

LightsOut41 likes this.
  10. capt_cope

capt_cope Gawd

Or not.

11. B00nie

I don't buy that for a second. What if two persons wear identical clothes and pass eachothers?

12. Gavian

Gavian Limp Gawd

Next they are going to bring Amazon Go inside a Walmart right next to McDonalds.