Amazon is having a PC day it seems for Gold Box Deals.

The graphics card has to be an nvidia model, 3D gaming and ATi just doesnt make sense :p

Hoping for a 570 deal :D

Google the entire paragraph & 8 of the top 10 are AMD 68x0 with the 9th being for a 470 & the 10th being the DX wiki..

Personally I am hoping its a gigabyte 6850 for about 100 bucks so I can use my 50 dollar amazon gift card & get a match to my current 6850.. Of course that's a pipe dream & because I want it there is no chance of it being that..

The graphics card has to be an nvidia model, 3D gaming and ATi just doesnt make sense :p

Hoping for a 570 deal :D

Apparently you missed the AMD HD3D announcement. Deus Ex HR actually supports 3D only for AMD.

BLAH! I was hoping to find an upgrade to my gtx 280, might be a little faster, but not worth it.

Well I was right about it being a 6850, but wrong about the brand.. This said not a great deal comparing it to the superbiz deal currently.. 127 AR (147 BR) for a Gigabyte 6850 w/ 2 games

It also includes a steam copy of Deus Ex: HR. Had it in my cart to buy for a friend, but decided to pass.

Fact: Hitachi drives are still based on the "Deathstar" series from the early 2000's that had a MTBF of like 3 months.
Fact : All modern Ford cars are still based on the "BBQ that seats 4" Pinto series from the 1970s that had a disturbing tendency of spontaneously becoming a mobile fourth of July display.

Seriously... Just google: "Hitachi Deathstar 2011" and you'll find a trail that goes right up to yesterday. Hitachi bought the whole IBM HD division and just renamed it. It's all the same technology. Sure, it's been refined... But it's kept the nickname Deathstar for a reason. Good products beat bad nicknames, and Deathstars are simply not good products.

I myself had three 60GXP's fail in under 2 months. I swore off IBM drives at the time. A few years later, oh look Hitachi drives are cheap and seem to be performing well(Oh wow, what a familiar story)... I bought a 500GB E7K500 HDS725050KLA361... It failed in three months.

The next time I thought it would be a good idea I bought three 1TB 7K1000's HDS721010KLA330 and decided raid5 was a good idea. Two of the three failed while I was initializing my array. That was just two years ago. I swore off Hitachi drives and also swore to spread the word that they were crap, and still are crap.

Out of the 50+ non ibm/hitachi drives I've owned in the last 11 years, *one* drive died. It was when one of my drunk friends accidentally fell onto my computer and knocked it over. Even that drive ran for days and gave me enough time to get the data off it.

Out of the 7 ibm/hitachi drives I've owned in the last 11 years, *one* ran until I decommissioned it. And that was because it started to make noises like the other three that failed.

Why do you think IBM sold their FOURTY FIVE year old hard drive business? Facilities, employees, and all. A giant and amazing tech company DOESN'T do that unless it's a flop. Companies like IBM buy other companies. It has to be a cold day in hell for them to give something up, unless it's crap.

Last edited:

Hmmm not sure about those small drives, But I know that of the 5 2tb drives and other friends with 2tb drives, that Hitachi is the best for reliability. I haven't had a problem with any hard drive, but I usually bought WD. But others have had terrible luck with WD drives over 1tb, which makes sence as WD bought Hitachi last March. So I would assume that WD wants Hitachi's drive reliability.

Why do you think IBM sold their FOURTY FIVE year old hard drive business? Facilities, employees, and all. A giant and amazing tech company DOESN'T do that unless it's a flop. Companies like IBM buy other companies. It has to be a cold day in hell for them to give something up, unless it's crap.

Samsung made what was considered by a very large portion of the tech crowd to be the best mechanical drives int he last few years & they still sold out.. its business that's all there is to it.. In addition to that I have a working 30gb 75gxp that hasnt so much as made a single tick since it was new way back in May of 2000 & another deskstar (though 5400 rpm) from Nov of 2000 that both run like a champ.. In the last 2 years though I have RMA'd Several Seagate drives.. I Seriously shed a tear the day I heard that Seagate Bought Samsung HDD division

Samsung made what was considered by a very large portion of the tech crowd to be the best mechanical drives int he last few years & they still sold out.. its business that's all there is to it.. In addition to that I have a working 30gb 75gxp that hasnt so much as made a single tick since it was new way back in May of 2000 & another deskstar (though 5400 rpm) from Nov of 2000 that both run like a champ.. In the last 2 years though I have RMA'd Several Seagate drives.. I Seriously shed a tear the day I heard that Seagate Bought Samsung HDD division

i have 2 dell pe's at work full of 250 gb barracuda es drives

I have RMA'd 5 in the last 12 months, dell ships me WD's to replace them.

a few years ago we got a batch of 100 pc's all with seagate drives, none of the hdd's lasted more than a year.

I have a handfull of 'deathstar' sata drives and none have failed.

zoson is trollin hard over something that happened, 10+ years ago

I have had 2 wd green failures in the last 3 years, one lasted a whole week, just long enough to get past my burn in period and get real data on it

I'll still buy seagates, bad batches happen.

i have 2 dell pe's at work full of 250 gb barracuda es drives

I have RMA'd 5 in the last 12 months, dell ships me WD's to replace them.

a few years ago we got a batch of 100 pc's all with seagate drives, none of the hdd's lasted more than a year.

I have a handfull of 'deathstar' sata drives and none have failed.

zoson is trollin hard over something that happened, 10+ years ago

I have had 2 wd green failures in the last 3 years, one lasted a whole week, just long enough to get past my burn in period and get real data on it

I'll still buy seagates, bad batches happen.
Learn to read, the last hitachi drives I bought was about 2 years ago. All three failed within three days while I was initializing my raid5 array. I'll repeat it again, out of the 50+ non hitachi/ibm drives I've bought... one failed. Out of the 7 ibm/hitachi drives, ALL but one failed within a three month period, most within a couple weeks of purchase.

You guys also need to think about the history of Hitachi after getting the business from IBM. They lost money from 2003 to 2008. TONS of it. In three years they have not made up the cash they lost. SELL THE BUSINESS. Sure, it's worth more now. But even crap appreciates value because people who don't know it's crap, keep buying.

Hard drives are a crap shoot. Period.

Especially consumer grade drives.

It doesn't matter if one person buys 10 at the same time of one brand and they all die. It was obviously either a bad batch or improper handling. This can happen with ANY brand.

All drives have their good models and bad models, just because someone has a few drives of one manufacturer die that doesn't automatically make that brand suck. Drives die everyday of all kinds. It's the nature of such fragile mechanical pieces of work that are mass produced in large quantities.

A single user's experience with their handful of whatever given drives is not enough to determine a true quality/death ratio.

And when one person is repeatedly killing drives they may want to check their PSU or whatever short they may have had in their system at the time before blaming HDD manufacturers.

And for the love of god, whatever issues Seagate had around the time of their 7200.11 release seem to have been resolved. Right now their 3TB XT and the Hitachi 3TB 7k3000 are some of the baddest beasts on the block.

Back