amazon HIS 7870 IceQ 2 for 219.99

GTX 580 level performance with GTX 460 level power consumption for $220? Yeah, I'd have to agree. :)

Thanks for posting.

yea lol, if you notice in my link I was actually searching for 7850s and I saw a 7870 in the same price range and I thought hmm, better post this one.

any nvidia card same price performance? amd drivers get on my nerves. makes my firefox close.

Thanks for posting, looks like a great price especially with the free game. I will probably grab this for my brothers build. How much faster ~% wise a 7950 vs 7870 both OCed. I am guessing the extra ~$100 isn't really worth the extra money.

Thanks for posting, looks like a great price especially with the free game. I will probably grab this for my brothers build. How much faster ~% wise a 7950 vs 7870 both OCed. I am guessing the extra ~$100 isn't really worth the extra money.

I'm hoping not much myself. I just bought a 7850 for $210. This would have only been $10 more. At the same time though I would have missed out on it as it's OOS from Amazon and Newegg now.

I would be interested to know the performance differences though...... more so when both are overclocked.

Really, does every AMD thread have to have someone complain about the drivers?:confused:

LOL so true. I have had AMD NVidia and it really depends on games you play. I have equal amounts of issue with both camps. Usually they are very minimal and have never had a major issue where I couldn't play a game. However opinions differ according to the games people play.

Really, does every AMD thread have to have someone complain about the drivers?:confused:

If the drivers are that big of an issue for people to complain every time then possibly it's a big enough issue to be noted in every thread.

On the other hand maybe it's just a few people with issues and not something that will affect everyone.

In either case if there are major driver issues I'd like to know about it before I think about buying a "hot deal".

I also wish I'd gotten in on this deal but that's a bit unrelated.

Well 1250'ish core is about what you need to be, to be around stock 7950 level with a 7870.

OC'ed 7950 depending on the luck of the draw and situation could be up to 20% faster, here's some data.

As for the whole ATi driver deal, I really got tired of the black screens, but these deals are killer.

Last edited:
I have to agree on the drivers.. I've got a HIS 7870 Ghz Edition sitting here in the box but I'm using a 7850 now because I keep getting black screens and can't figure out how to stop it.. I want to use the 7870 and I'm hoping the next driver release will fix it. The latest drivers helped out, I went a whole three days without a black screen then I got them once per day after that.. just damn annoying. With the drivers before this last release I would get black screens 3 to 5 times per day, now it's down to 1 or 2 so something improved apparently, but it's still not good enough....

Thinking of just relisting my 7870 to sell and giving up altogether...

Must be something else wrong cause I've used my AMD card for like 3 years with zero problems. Certainly not "black screens" lol WTF.

I read so many problems with Nvidia drivers on forums (just check out any Nvidia section of a forum for endless complaints) I'm afraid to buy Nvidia anymore (though currently all their cards suck on price/value anyway)

Must be something else wrong cause I've used my AMD card for like 3 years with zero problems. Certainly not "black screens" lol WTF.

I read so many problems with Nvidia drivers on forums (just check out any Nvidia section of a forum for endless complaints) I'm afraid to buy Nvidia anymore (though currently all their cards suck on price/value anyway)

Your card isn't downclocking, I mean, hardware acceleration will crash the card FFS.

Beware of HIS, if it breaks it will be a month before you get it back! I've had to RMA two HIS cards now, they don't offer x-ship either. I stopped buying HIS after that.

I haven't looked into the cards in enough detail but I decided to go with AMD. What I did see was problems with AMD drivers not NVIDIA drivers.

Maybe they both have issues but I was seeing AMD as having more issues with drivers but with hopeful updates fixing the problems.

FUDGE,OOS!!!!! I ordered from Amazon, let's see when it ships.

About the driver issue, it might be Flash+Firefox+AMD drivers, All I know is that the same page won't crash in Chrome. I use to get the "AMD DRIVER HAS RECOVERED SUCC...", whatevs bitch!!

Last edited:
FUDGE,OOS!!!!! I ordered from Amazon, let's see when it ships.

About the driver issue, it might be Flash+Firefox+AMD drivers, All I know is that the same page won't crash in Chrome. I use to get the "AMD DRIVER HAS RECOVERED SUCC...", whatevs bitch!!

I think I saw on the original page that it was available August 31st. Whether or not it ships tomorrow is anyones guess though. Its still a great buy.

so is it faster than a 7950?

No, and it never will be. The highest you could ever expect to overclock this will have it nipping at the heels of a bone stock 7950, while an overclocked 7950 will be giving a GTX 680 a run for its money.

I haven't looked into the cards in enough detail but I decided to go with AMD. What I did see was problems with AMD drivers not NVIDIA drivers.

Maybe they both have issues but I was seeing AMD as having more issues with drivers but with hopeful updates fixing the problems.

I dunno, I think its all in peoples heads really. They all have their issues, but twice I've had a driver dump something awful on my system to force me to reformat and both times it was an nVidia official driver (I swear their betas are more stable). So everyone has their experiences.

Now after seeing this deal I wish I hadn't slapped down money on that darn tablet I bought to read books!

I dunno, I think its all in peoples heads really. They all have their issues, but twice I've had a driver dump something awful on my system to force me to reformat and both times it was an nVidia official driver (I swear their betas are more stable). So everyone has their experiences.

Now after seeing this deal I wish I hadn't slapped down money on that darn tablet I bought to read books!

Well there's always people that just don't know what they're doing or talking about but I suppose with all the different combinations of hardware software and drivers ya both are gonna have issues.

I was having some sort of issue I'm not sure if it was driver or hardware with a 9600GSO crashing just using firefox and saying something like Windows recovered from a driver crash but it was fine playing games.

I just got a 7850 and once in a while CSS has been crashing when changing maps just since I got the card. Now I can't say for sure it's a driver issue.... could easily be Steam screwing more stuff up with their updates or even because of the fact I mainly play on one server so it could just be that server.

Soon I'll get getting a new board/cpu and a fresh install of Windows and maybe that'll fix the problem.

I do wish I'd gotten this though. I paid $210 for a 7850.... this is only $10 more.

Anyone have info on shipping date?

"HIS 7870 IceQ 2 GB(256bit) GDDR5 2x Mini-DiplayPort HDMI DL DVI-I (HDCP) PCI Express X 16 3.0 Graphics Card H787Q2G2M"
Estimated arrival date: September 24, 2012 - October 17, 2012

Last edited:
Back