Amazon has reportedly bought the rights to the Tomb Raider franchise

So is Crystal Dynamics no longer involved in the production of the next game? I recall that Amazon was going to publish the game before they outright bought the IP. Maybe it's just for film rights if they want to make it into a streaming series. If Phoebe Waller Bridge is involved then it is going to be garbage.

the investment in LOTR was worth it but I don't know if Tomb Raider holds that same sort of worldwide appeal

So is Crystal Dynamics no longer involved in the production of the next game? I recall that Amazon was going to publish the game before they outright bought the IP. Maybe it's just for film rights if they want to make it into a streaming series. If Phoebe Waller Bridge is involved then it is going to be garbage.
Not necessarily, Killing Eve and Broadchurch were great shows

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7016936/

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2249364/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

the investment in LOTR was worth it but I don't know if Tomb Raider holds that same sort of worldwide appeal

Wasn't there a more recent Tomb Raider movie that didn't do too well, or was that Dora the Explorer?

It has plenty of potential. Not sure if it'd be worth $600 mill, but I can see it being a pretty good show for a few seasons if they did it right. It also has a lot of potential to be done poorly.

I'm hoping for a great show. I love the source material and it could end up being excellent.

It's also unclear whether the deal includes games, movies, TV shows, and merchandise or if it's only the film and TV rights, though the lofty sum that Amazon has apparently coughed up suggests that it's purchased the rights to the whole Tomb Raider IP.

For that much money, it should be everything. Would be cool to see some new games with a fresh perspective. I enjoyed the newer ones.

Wasn't there a more recent Tomb Raider movie that didn't do too well, or was that Dora the Explorer?

It has plenty of potential. Not sure if it'd be worth $600 mill, but I can see it being a pretty good show for a few seasons if they did it right. It also has a lot of potential to be done poorly.

I'm hoping for a great show. I love the source material and it could end up being excellent.

Amazon screwed up the Jack Ryan series so I don't have much faith in a Tomb Raider series

For that much money, it should be everything. Would be cool to see some new games with a fresh perspective. I enjoyed the newer ones.
Lara with Daddy Issues? It had a lot of potential being based on the 2013 game, but they aimed for a PG-13 rating despite the game being rated M and cut out the supernatural aspects in order to get play in the Chinese market. If they did the opposite of those two things it probably would have turned out well.

Amazon? I don't have high hopes. Article doesn't say if it includes the games or not. If it does I would be disappointed. Was hoping to see good things for TR and Deus Ex when they were bought out but if they're just going to sell them to another crappy company that isn't good.

Last edited:
looking forward to seeing where Amazon takes the franchise with their new ownership. I'm sure they'll have some great ideas for how to continue the story and create even more exciting adventures for Lara Croft.

Back