Amazon Gets Real About Fakes

HardOCP News

[H] News
It looks as though Amazon is finally doing something about counterfeiters. The company is clamping down on fake items by, among other things, putting more tools in place for manufacturers to report knock-offs and fake products.

Now, the world's biggest online retailer is getting serious. It has made fighting phonies a major goal for 2017, building teams in the U.S. and Europe to work with major brands on a registry to prevent fakes, according to a person familiar with the initiative, who was not authorized to speak about the matter and requested anonymity. Discussions with Major League Baseball and the National Football League about selling merchandise on Amazon hit a standstill earlier this year due to concerns about Amazon's lack of control over fakes, the person said.

Wasn't this not a big problem until Amazon changed some policy early this year? I've noticed a big influx over 2016 of garbage knockoffs, the same product being released by multiple different "brands", and fake or paid reviews.

I wonder what they will use those tools for, maybe to knock off some competing sellers (of not counterfeited goods even)? You know, buy some products on a sale-out, sell them with profit a bit later...

Wasn't this not a big problem until Amazon changed some policy early this year? I've noticed a big influx over 2016 of garbage knockoffs, the same product being released by multiple different "brands", and fake or paid reviews.
Well if its China, the actual producer for things like phone cases will sell to multiple resellers. Sometimes its copies, but often its multiple middle-men.

Here's a specific example I ran across recently:
https://www.amazon.com/Proster-Digital-30dBA-130dBA-Pressure-Measurewith/dp/B01DW0AZ1I
https://www.amazon.com/Decibel-RISEPRO-Digital-Measure-HT-80A/dp/B01EZZ8B5Q
https://www.amazon.com/Dr-Meter-MS10-Digital-Decibel-Tester/dp/B00X3MD6EY

Things like this are very suspicious looking to me, and a big turn-off to purchasing. It also can indicate that the images are not accurate to the product received.

The only reasoning I can come up with for having a bunch of middle-men rebranding the product is to protect the company from claims. If Risepro gets a lawsuit or claim, they just fold it and let DrMeter and Proster continue selling the same thing.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
And how are they going to test the expensive beauty products when they fill a real bottle with fake shit? They going to buy samples to test? Ask for POP from the actual manufacturer?

Through chat support, I reported a bunch of new seller accounts that were selling a massive amount of counterfeits over the weekend. It's funny because she said that she's never seen it that bad before.

if you want a good laugh you should see all the cheap Bluetooth speakers there are now. I swear, those single speakers used to be $50 then BAM $15 rubber nocks off that won't last 45 minutes playing music.

Once they opened their doors to 'smaller' sellers, Amazon went down this slippery slope. Now instead of just going on and getting good results you have to shift through a bunch of junk.

Call it the 1990's middle management with a 'business degree' syndrome. The decisions make the spreadsheet look good and got someone a bonus but at the expense of user experience.

NewEgg is another example for me...

One of the huge problems is if a store is using fulfilled by amazon their inventory gets mixed with other stores selling the same product. That means you could buy from one vendor and get a real thing and then later get a fake one because amazon doesn't keep the inventory separate. My wife actually runs into this more than I do. She has to be very careful with ordering things like conditioner.

One of the huge problems is if a store is using fulfilled by amazon their inventory gets mixed with other stores selling the same product. That means you could buy from one vendor and get a real thing and then later get a fake one because amazon doesn't keep the inventory separate. My wife actually runs into this more than I do. She has to be very careful with ordering things like conditioner.

Yep! also why you can see reviews for something or some seller both saying how great the product is as well as someone else saying it's a fake.

You also get people buying a real item and returning their package with a good looking fake in place. At least with certain products.

Once they opened their doors to 'smaller' sellers, Amazon went down this slippery slope. Now instead of just going on and getting good results you have to shift through a bunch of junk.

Call it the 1990's middle management with a 'business degree' syndrome. The decisions make the spreadsheet look good and got someone a bonus but at the expense of user experience.

NewEgg is another example for me...

It is sad to see others take this approach...NewEgg, Wal-Mart, Sears. I have seen some of other larger retailers start to jump on board. The first thing I do is filter search, by checking the vendor of the website I came to see originally, not joe-schmoe.

if you want a good laugh you should see all the cheap Bluetooth speakers there are now. I swear, those single speakers used to be $50 then BAM $15 rubber nocks off that won't last 45 minutes playing music.
man even the cheap ones last for hours, problem is most have no punch...

Good but they should also keep tight tabs on 3rd party sellers to make sure they are not selling fake products too

Back