Amazon: George R. R. Martin's A Game of Thrones 5-Book Boxed Set - $23.44

Thought you guys would be interested to know paperback has dropped to $18 and change (1-3 weeks to ship) and the kindle version is about $17. Ordered PB, saw cheaper Kindle price, cancelled and ordered for Kindle. I don't read enough fiction, so this is good for me.

Thought you guys would be interested to know paperback has dropped to $18 and change (1-3 weeks to ship) and the kindle version is about $17. Ordered PB, saw cheaper Kindle price, cancelled and ordered for Kindle. I don't read enough fiction, so this is good for me.

Thanks. I emailed them and got a $5.31 credit.

What in the hell is the point of a box set of an unfinished series?

Because you get all 5 currently released books at a discounted price.

At the time of this post, mass market paperback (the smaller super-thick books) are $13.60, and the Kindle version are $12.92. If you don't mind mass-market, the $13.60 is an incredibly awesome deal... holy smokes.

Well, for the Kindle version, it's just a sweet deal for those books.

For the paperbacks, it's so that anyone who wants to read the series can buy all the current books at once for a discounted price. The fact that the half cent of cardboard that they're contained in won't fit the next two books as well isn't really a factor.

Picked it up for $13.60 - $1 credit for no rush shipping. I wonder if it'll drop lower or if this was a deal just before S5 started.

Edit - its $10 at Walmart! and free pickup in store now, vs 1-3 weeks to ship on Amazon.

Last edited:
hopefully George R. R. Martin is doing the same thing. dune creator Herbert also did the same thing and his son and another solid sci fi writer wrote a couple of books to flesh out/finish some stories up in the dune saga.

Last thing I read from GRRM on this subject was him stating that the series dies with him, complete or not, but that was many years ago, now with the GoT HBO series who knows.

The number and degree of changes from book to show raises concern that the HBO execs may exert undue influence on the content of the remaining books. This is a bad thing.

Last thing I read from GRRM on this subject was him stating that the series dies with him, complete or not, but that was many years ago, now with the GoT HBO series who knows.

HBO has spent over a quarter billion dollars on the series so far. So either GRRM has provided them with at least a specific outline for the last two books to ensure that they can complete their series, or HBO has a tested and reliable way to keep GRRM's brain alive and producing scripts even if his body fails.

Smart money is on the former. I might still be hoping for the latter (a little bit), in the dark part of my soul where scientific curiosity overrides human decency.

HBO has spent over a quarter billion dollars on the series so far. So either GRRM has provided them with at least a specific outline for the last two books to ensure that they can complete their series, or HBO has a tested and reliable way to keep GRRM's brain alive and producing scripts even if his body fails.

Smart money is on the former. I might still be hoping for the latter (a little bit), in the dark part of my soul where scientific curiosity overrides human decency.

LMAO!

Oh I'm sure HBO has name arrangements.

As for a teaser, GRRM recently posted that he is canceling his plans to be at SD Comicon this year but went on to say that may change if he "finishes and delivers The Winds of Winter" before that time.

Since that is the first time I've heard of him even coming close to hinting at a date I hope it means we see it in the next year.

As for the books that are out, I've read all of them but I also own them on CD and they are great for when I'm in my truck.

HBO knows how it all ends, and they have basically taken the basic plot from GRRM and are doing it all themselves now.

I just with that HBO hadn't compressed entire books into the early season and spread the story out over more years so we would get more of the depth that the books contain.

Thanks OP! I bit on the ebook.
Update: I originally paid $18.43 for the Kindle version. The Kindle version dropped to to $9.69. I chatted with Amazon and they refunded me the order so I can resubmit the same order with the lower price.

Last edited:
Because you get all 5 currently released books at a discounted price.

At the time of this post, mass market paperback (the smaller super-thick books) are $13.60, and the Kindle version are $12.92. If you don't mind mass-market, the $13.60 is an incredibly awesome deal... holy smokes.

These books are all on the dollar rack at half price books.

Kevin J. Anderson. IMO they butchered the series with shotty writing. None of their books has the feel of Frank.

I'm really trying to talk myself out of buying this box set. I have just the first book, about half way through it.

Vermillion hells!:rolleyes: Those books got progressively worse. By the end it seemed like they were shoehorning shit into any time gap in the original Dune series...

I have never read the books yet, but I love the series. It is in my top 3 all-time favorite shows. And so far, there has not been a decline in quality of the show, as there has been with so many other past/present favorite shows. However, over the past couple of years I have begun to increasingly believe that at least the TV series is going to decline noticeably in quality before it reaches its conclusion, even if it is only during the final season.

GRRM seems to not really care that much about completing the final books (or even detailed plot/sub-plot outlines for the series to use) in a reasonable time period to give the series more breathing room.

David Benioff and D. B. Weiss seem to be in a rush to end the show ASAP so they can move onto other projects, regardless of GRRM's slow writing pace and the already existing over-compression of the show.

HBO is already appearing to subtly publicly pressure Benioff/Weiss into artificially expanding the series to keep the money flowing. Meaning, they want Benioff/Weiss to keep the "compression" going so it is not too "boring," but add in more of their own artificial "filler."

Three different sides, three different conflicting directions, three different sets of personal motives, and none of them appear to have the integrity of the show as a high priority. I really hope it does not happen, but I think the at some point the show is going to jump the shark, one way or another :(

Currently at $10.20. Weird. I wonder who has the most control over the price drops? GRRM? HBO? Amazon? Guess it makes sense to lower the price ahead of the start of the new season, generate interest, excitement. Get people thinking about GOT. I wonder if GRRM had any idea when he started the first book what it would eventually become. Now I want the GOT Telltale Games set for $10.20 :)

half price book is the name of a chain of book stores that basically buy overstock (books) and sell them dirt cheap.

Back