Amazon Fire TV Stick $19 for Prime Users 2 days only

elzeus

[H]ard|Gawd
Regular price is $39.00 it's $20 off for prime users for 2 days only.

It's dual core 1080p with 8gb of storage. It has Pandora/Netflix/Amazon/Plex app support.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GDQ0RMG/ref=fs_ftvs

Edit: You can actually order more than one and get the discount on each one.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
so does it not need a smartphone or other devices to at least initiate the video?

The only thing I would use it for instead of Chromecast is for Prime movies.. which I'm sure is Amazon's reason for not supporting Chromecast in the first place. $20 is nice, but still not sure it adds any value to current Chromecast owners. The only thing that sucks about Chromecast is no MIMO or 5GHz support, but they're supposedly releasing a Chromecast v2 at some point to fix this.

so does it not need a smartphone or other devices to at least initiate the video?

I don't believe you need another smart device to initiate video as it has a remote and they are full apps not just casting. If it's anything like the Fire TV box then you can actually sideload apps like XMBC (or w/e stupid name it has now) and Google Apps / Store.

The only thing I would use it for instead of Chromecast is for Prime movies.. which I'm sure is Amazon's reason for not supporting Chromecast in the first place. $20 is nice, but still not sure it adds any value to current Chromecast owners. The only thing that sucks about Chromecast is no MIMO or 5GHz support, but they're supposedly releasing a Chromecast v2 at some point to fix this.

Yeah it's not a huge upgrade for current Chromecast users but it does have faster hardware all around and if it's like the Fire TV box it will be pretty open and it's actually an even $19 (pun) unless you have sales tax.

I bit. I already have a chromecast but there are times when it can be quite buggy. For $20 I will check it out.

if that is the case, then this device would be better than the chromecast (no HBO though). having your phone be the remote can be handy,but can also be a royal pain. plus, it may be more approachable to others in the house that would rather use a normal remote.

Snagged 2, one for my bedroom and one for the guest room where there is no cable hookup so guests can have something to watch.

Grabbed one.....dang should I grab another?! Remorse from not grabbing chrome cast @ release, so I'm not waiting till this is $40 to think about it.

I have a firetv box... wish I had gotten a chromecast or a roku instead

Damn, I just got a Chromecast and while I like it alot, it can be buggy and is certainly limited. Looking at this and it seems like its just a toned down fire tv. Not sure what other than buggy screen sharing the chromecast has that can compete with this, especially with this sale price.

The fact that this has a dedicated UI and a remote makes it infinitely better than chromecast already. Chromecast requiring that you actually "cast" an internet tab or app from your phone and not having a dedicated UI to just start netflix or something makes it very frustrating to use.

Funny that their advertisement shows Game of Thrones, but their comparison chart between Chromecast and Roku shows they're the only ones without HBO GO.

Funny that their advertisement shows Game of Thrones, but their comparison chart between Chromecast and Roku shows they're the only ones without HBO GO.

They'll probably get HBO GO early next year when they launch their new service. It got delayed for the new consoles for the same reason.

Not sure what other than buggy screen sharing the chromecast has that can compete with this, especially with this sale price.

Youtube is a big one and is 90% of what I play on my Chromecast (usually with a lot of friends around and we all add funny/cool vids to the queue). HBO Go is another one. But it seems with one of the last updates for Chomecast fixed the buggy/laggy screen mirroring. It was stutter free for me the other day while I played Clash of Clans on it, hah.

CS added a third one to my order. Just to let anyone know who is interested getting more than two.

In for one. $19 is a no-brainer.

Happy with my current FireTV. It really is better with Amazon content than the Roku 3. (which I also have)

Bought 2. My Chromecast has been driving me nuts recently by not wanting to stream anything from my Plex server.

They've got youtube listed on the apps for the fire stick.

Ahh, didn't see that because it's not the standard Youtube icon because it's not the official Youtube app from Google. They pretty much cloned the official app, it seems. Hopefully it works as well as the official app does then.

It is the official YouTube app. (exact same functionality as the Roku 3's YouTube app)

Only thing it won't do is YT live streams

The fact that this has a dedicated UI and a remote makes it infinitely better than chromecast already. Chromecast requiring that you actually "cast" an internet tab or app from your phone and not having a dedicated UI to just start netflix or something makes it very frustrating to use.

Funny enough; that's exactly my reason for preferring chromecast. I moved my household off Roku because it was 'just one more remote' to lose. Everyone has a smartphone; and there's a tablet on the night stand; so nothing extra needed for clutter, to lose, or a dog to eat.

The Fire TV is quite a badass, And I don't think this will be any different, other then lower specs. But, one thing I did notice is that when I first got the FireTV, I was able to cast YouTube video to it, and now, many updates later (both AFTV, and YouTube app on the phone) I am no longer able to cast to it. And, that was a very good feature in my mind. Becaus ethe YouTube app on the FTV is the same shitty one that was on PS3. The app could definitely use an update.

I'm probably going to see what the New Nexus box is going to do, mainly I want it to play Prime shows, that's about it. If it can, I might be selling my AFTV.

Has more cpu power and more ram than most android phones at $50+

should be interesting to see what hackers can do with it

Anyone know how I am supposed to fling youtube and other stuff from my iOS device?

Quote: "Mirror your tablet or phone on your HDTV
Use your iOS or Android device to fling music and movies to your HDTV—and control playback—from apps like YouTube and Spotify. Or, share movies, TV shows, music, and photos from your compatible tablet or phone with everyone in your living room using display mirroring. What you see on your Fire OS or Android device is exactly what you’ll see on your big screen."

When this stick comes in the mail, is it tied to the Amazon account with which it was purchased?

Back