Amazon Finally Shares Prime Membership Numbers

rgMekanic

[H]ard|News
Since 1997 Jeff Bezos has published a shareholder letter, which is considered to be a must-read by many business professionals. The Amazon CEO published his years letter earlier today, outlining the importance of having high standards according to a CNBC report. In the report Bezos, for the first time ever, disclosed that Amazon Prime membership now exceeds 100 million members worldwide. And in 2017 alone Amazon shipped over five billion items through it's Prime service.

Some of those numbers are just hard to fathom. Now I just want the drone delivery, much lower chance of accidentally receiving a pee bottle. I however maintain that Jeff Bezos is Dr. Evil.

"How do you stay ahead of ever-rising customer expectations? There's no single way to do it – it's a combination of many things. But high standards (widely deployed and at all levels of detail) are certainly a big part of it," Bezos wrote in the letter.

And of course...

6BCJMNH.jpg

I still can't believe I found the perfect Bezos expression for the edit.

Something tells me Jeff doesn't have a problem getting a shark with friggin' lasers attached to it's head delivered to him at his secret lair.

I find it fascinating that Bezos is fiercely stuck in the "gain phase" and sternly putting off any re-investment on a "grow phase". On one hand, it's doing a lot of damage -- choke-holding his company and industry for cash -- but then again, I am a bit concerned about just how absolutely fucking gargantuan these large tech companies know they could become if they went full ham on a grow phase. The governments they reside within are simply ilequipped to handle that scale and would not know what to do with them. It could get nasty.

(In other words, tech giants are basically intentionally stunting themselves in fear of what they might become.)

So on average Prime members place 50 orders a year? Possible I guess, but seems high. I feel I order a lot from Amazon and in 2017 I was on 39...

So on average Prime members place 50 orders a year? Possible I guess, but seems high. I feel I order a lot from Amazon and in 2017 I was on 39...

There are a lot of people especially woman whom once they get accustomed to Amazon start ordering certain types of items from Amazon start doing it heavily. 50 orders seems like nothing when you consider that. A lot of tech savvy people ironically, only order tech type stuff from Amazon and you don't need a lot of that. But throw in someone ordering basic items you might get at Walmart and it easily balloons the shipments. I admit that even I am starting to order more regular household items. Its just there is so much more to choose from. Also a lot of people share their prime account with family so that may skew the numbers. I actually share mine with about 3 households.

Right now I see a lot of woman buying a lot of stuff on amazon and only currently avoiding food and clothes, but everything else is fair game. That's probably why Amazon has been trying to break into food.

If they count everything (by which I mean things like Kindle book orders) as 'orders' then I am way over 50 per year. I read 2-3 books a week, and while I may grab 4 or 5 at a time, I'm still getting new books every other week or so. PLUS the regular stuff I buy.

I’m guessing you’re not married with kids.

9/7/1 year old here , plus me and my wife.

From diapers to kcups to motherboards to football pads to shoes , easily 200+ a year for 5 years running if not more.

between amazon, and now instacart for groceries, i rarely visit stores much anymore. and i like it.

I’m guessing you’re not married with kids.

9/7/1 year old here , plus me and my wife.

From diapers to kcups to motherboards to football pads to shoes , easily 200+ a year for 5 years running if not more.
We have three kids :)

Could be just a cultural difference... live in Germany and maybe here people just go out shopping more.

But... but... 200?? :) that's more than 1 order every 2 days...

We have three kids :)

Could be just a cultural difference... live in Germany and maybe here people just go out shopping more.

But... but... 200?? :) that's more than 1 order every 2 days...

140 in 2017 for me on just one account. Im sure my wifes amazon, linked to my Prime has about the same. Def get our use out of it.

Back