Amazon Ends Its Unlimited Cloud Storage Plan

When will it change? I just checked and still shows unlimited for me.

Just saw it. Crap. I went ahead and canceled. I don't think there is anything out there that is better than the amazon storage. They did not limit my upload speed, at all, as crashplan does.

When will it change? I just checked and still shows unlimited for me. ...

From the techcrunch.com article:

...Current Amazon Drive customers who have the old unlimited storage plan will keep it through its expiration date. After which, those with auto-renew turned on — and less than 1TB of data stored — will be automatically renewed into the 1TB plan/$60pa. ...

Hope this helps.

I'm sure "unlimited" was abused... Over on the datahoarders reddit, there are a few that were very proud of their 1PB of storage ...
Many people are driven to do shit just because they can.

As an Amazon Prime member I remember receiving the email that I could use the Amazon cloud for free. I thought about it for a bit ... why would they offer me this great deal of a new service for free? My best answer was it wouldn't be free forever and when it wasn't a major pain in the ass and pocketbook would ensue. Decision: I ignored the great offer. :D :D :D

Really disappointed in this - I already pay 100 dollars a year for prime, you'd think the added fee to this would cover a lot more than 1TB.

I have been using Amazon Drive to store all my family videos which takes up significantly more room than photos - to answer the question of what people uploading other than photos

I definitely feel duped. The appeal of Prime has significantly dropped for me in the past year.

You can buy 2TB drives for this price.....and setup your own "cloud access". I've always hated the "cloud" model.... pay someone to keep your files. There is no privacy when your files sit on someone else's servers.

Great and is your data protected in multiple data centers with full I.T teams around the clock to make sure that data is availible, backed up and safe 99.9% or more of the time?

No it is sitting in your house in your computer that if it gets a power surge or your single 2TB drive dies or you get crypto'd your SOL! or one of many other possible ways to lose your data.

If you are going to compare, compare apples to apples, not apples to a dogs turd....

They are ending this because of the people who have 100TB-1PB using these accounts. I'm not talking about normal users but extreme data hoarders as well as small businesses. There are a ton of guides about automating everything using acd_cli. rclone, setting up a VPS to download to ACD, encrypting everything etc.

The user who they want to retain will still probably pay for the service. Same thing happened with phone ISPs who killed unlimited. And is about to happen to the Internet with death of Net Neutrality.

Also they have refunded people. Can you imagine a company like Comcast who do all kinds of cheating ever do that?

I expect Google will soon crack down on the GDrive resellers and start enforcing limits. The free party is over.

You do understand we are at the very bottom of the barrel regarding compute and storage right? If you gave me a Terahertz computer and a several thousand terabytes of storage, i could use it all, right now and ask for more. Its not that im greedy or gluttonous, its that more power gives more function. Our computers today are still incredibly primitive so bumping into limits isnt really a sign of irresponsible computing. Sent from my 7700k/1080ti machine.

I'm not making a value judgement, just pointing out what happens if there is no incremental cost of scarce resources.

The 1TB OneDrive included with my Office 365 subscription that gives me the full office package on 5 PC's and all my tablets and phones is, I guess, a genuine bargain @ $99/year.

Well, Microsoft DID screw me too. I was one that had the 2TB bonus OneDrive, which they took away earlier this year :(

#Whodathunkit.

And as far as cloud storage goes overall, the hook has been set. Here comes the reelin' :)

I also pay Apple a whopping 99c/month for 50GB on iCloud. It just makes backing up all my (3) iPads and iPhone so much easier.

And $49/year to CrashPlan for PC Backup.

Fuck! They really have got us, haven't they ?

Great and is your data protected in multiple data centers with full I.T teams around the clock to make sure that data is availible, backed up and safe 99.9% or more of the time?

No it is sitting in your house in your computer that if it gets a power surge or your single 2TB drive dies or you get crypto'd your SOL! or one of many other possible ways to lose your data.

If you are going to compare, compare apples to apples, not apples to a dogs turd....
If you was to piss your money away that's your prerogative. Don't compare your lack of responsibility with not backing up your data. You can buy 2 - 1 TB drivers for the same price and have 1 as a backup that's not powered on. If your going to claim apples to apples I suggest you get the same apples first.

They are ending this because of the people who have 100TB-1PB using these accounts. I'm not talking about normal users but extreme data hoarders as well as small businesses. There are a ton of guides about automating everything using acd_cli. rclone, setting up a VPS to download to ACD, encrypting everything etc.

The user who they want to retain will still probably pay for the service. Same thing happened with phone ISPs who killed unlimited. And is about to happen to the Internet with death of Net Neutrality.

This is most likely it.. then.. not only the space utilization.. you have the bandwidth being used.. cause you know there had to be some of those abusers that were using those Plex cloud features, and sharing out their Plex libraries ...

They are ending this because of the people who have 100TB-1PB using these accounts. I'm not talking about normal users but extreme data hoarders as well as small businesses.

They could easily get rid of that AND still have mass appeal by setting a generous limit of 10-50TB. That would be vastly more then normal people would need and fully eliminate the outliers you are talking about.

1TB is fairly week.....and baseline now-a-days.

They could easily get rid of that AND still have mass appeal by setting a generous limit of 10-50TB. That would be vastly more then normal people would need and fully eliminate the outliers you are talking about.

1TB is fairly week.....and baseline now-a-days.
I couldn't agree more, 1 TB is the new 1 GB of a few years ago. The standards are changing but the companies don't want to agree.

I couldn't agree more, 1 TB is the new 1 GB of a few years ago. The standards are changing but the companies don't want to agree.

Someone tell Comcast that :mad::mad: Due to the 1TB cap each month, which is a joke, I can't even think of using online backup.

$60 a year is still cheaper than the $120 a year OneDrive charges.

Actually... one drive is cheaper if you think about it. I subscribe to that via office 365 sub for 10 bucks a month. For that I get office on 5 accounts, AND 1 TB of storage for each of those... Though it may be 4 accounts. Lets say 4. so 120 a year divided by 4.. gives me 30 bucks a year per 1TB of Storage and a complete office install for 4 people.

That actually kicks a lot of ass.

Last edited:
We should kickstart a harddrive that reduces performance to 20% until a new paid-for key is entered after 6 months.

That's a subscription HDD.

Bait and switch HDD is one where you say buy a 6TB HDD, stores X number of files on it, then once it hits 3TBs, the HDD crawls out of the case, unloads its data onto a 2TB HDD that is waiting patiently outside, once that's done the 2TB HDD crawls into your case, and the manufacturer picks up the 6TB and holds the extra 1TB data until you pay a "data maintainence" fee.

If you was to piss your money away that's your prerogative. Don't compare your lack of responsibility with not backing up your data. You can buy 2 - 1 TB drivers for the same price and have 1 as a backup that's not powered on. If your going to claim apples to apples I suggest you get the same apples first.

Sure, and store that other 1TB drive, and also hope it doesn't get bad sectors, or a power spike from plugging it in and disconnecting it when ever you choose to do backups, or if you put it in a USB enclosure and then verify your backups everytime you copy it over to make sure they are good.. So now factor in your time and what it is worth as well....

Sure, and store that other 1TB drive, and also hope it doesn't get bad sectors, or a power spike from plugging it in and disconnecting it when ever you choose to do backups, or if you put it in a USB enclosure and then verify your backups everytime you copy it over to make sure they are good.. So now factor in your time and what it is worth as well....

And hope a meteor doesn't hit your hard drive or a solar flare fries it or the CIA sends a self destruct command to it...

And hope a meteor doesn't hit your hard drive or a solar flare fries it or the CIA sends a self destruct command to it...

exactly!

My point I guess is sure, if you want to worry about all that, go nuts, or just pay for someone else to worry about all that and upload your data and know it is safe (assuming you encrypt before hand)

I have a OneDrive subscription but I dunno if I would describe it as a backup service. I mean, from what I understand, it syncs stuff mainly - like Dropbox. If I delete a document from a local OneDrive folder doesn't it sync that deletion everywhere? Crashplan keeps deleted files just in case the deletion was an accident. There is no incremental backup either with different versions of files. I don't think I would feel safe using OneDrive for backup based on my current understanding of it.

Actually... one drive is cheaper if you think about it. I subscribe to that via office 365 sub for 10 bucks a month. For that I get office on 5 accounts, AND 1 TB of storage for each of those... Though it may be 4 accounts. Lets say 4. so 120 a year divided by 4.. gives me 30 bucks a year per 1TB of Storage and a complete office install for 4 people.

That actually kicks a lot of ass.
If you pay it all up front it is only $100 a year for 5 accounts, each with a license to Office 365 along with 1TB of cloud storage. Makes for an even better deal.

I have a OneDrive subscription but I dunno if I would describe it as a backup service. I mean, from what I understand, it syncs stuff mainly - like Dropbox. If I delete a document from a local OneDrive folder doesn't it sync that deletion everywhere? Crashplan keeps deleted files just in case the deletion was an accident. There is no incremental backup either with different versions of files. I don't think I would feel safe using OneDrive for backup based on my current understanding of it.
You are right, it really isn't a backup service in the traditional sense. While I can copy files to it, save directly to it, and even something like SyncToy to sync folders/files (I have to jump through some hoops to get it to work), it doesn't allow you to use backup software to backup directly to your cloud storage. For example, you can't use Windows built in backup service to do full or incremental backups to your OneDrive, Microsoft doesn't give you that option. Which sucks.

As for your question on deletion and restoration, it is my understanding that they are treated much like regular files and go into a Recycle Bin (whether it is your local recycle bin or on their website). Here is a link that explains deleting and restoring files both from the desktop as well as from the website:
https://support.office.com/en-us/ar...OneDrive-949ada80-0026-4db3-a953-c99083e6a84f

You can buy 2TB drives for this price.....and setup your own "cloud access". I've always hated the "cloud" model.... pay someone to keep your files. There is no privacy when your files sit on someone else's servers.

What do you think would happen if your data was compromised or lost? You would get the big fuck you is what. It's always best to just have your own backups and own the process in my view. Colo is how I do offsite.

You are right, it really isn't a backup service in the traditional sense. While I can copy files to it, save directly to it, and even something like SyncToy to sync folders/files (I have to jump through some hoops to get it to work), it doesn't allow you to use backup software to backup directly to your cloud storage. For example, you can't use Windows built in backup service to do full or incremental backups to your OneDrive, Microsoft doesn't give you that option. Which sucks.

As for your question on deletion and restoration, it is my understanding that they are treated much like regular files and go into a Recycle Bin (whether it is your local recycle bin or on their website). Here is a link that explains deleting and restoring files both from the desktop as well as from the website:
https://support.office.com/en-us/ar...OneDrive-949ada80-0026-4db3-a953-c99083e6a84f

Thanks for that link and for your thoughts. I don't really delete files by accident but crazy has been known to happen. I actually never thought about having Windows backup do it directly to OneDrive, lol! That would be great. Looks like I'll have to stick with Crashplan for now.

For my personal machine, backing up my documents is far more important to me than backing up my OS. OS I can re do at any time.

Yeah, I just create a rescue disk for the OS in Windows 10 (which allows a full reinstall) and don't worry about the OS after that.

For my personal machine, backing up my documents is far more important to me than backing up my OS. OS I can re do at any time.
Yeah, when I use the Windows built in backup utility, I don't bother having it backup the OS nor my applications. I just use it to backup my documents folder, my Lightroom database, and photos/videos which all reside on different drives.

Uh, guys: I tried out Windows File History yesterday again (the lure of freeness). Um, how do you know what it is doing? Crashplan has a little activity window, but File History doesn't. Well, after having a backup (presumably) running during the day I shut down the computer for the night. Lo and behold the next morning the backup drive won't mount. Then a blue screen happens with some IRQ fault. I haven't seen a blue screen in years! The entire backup is corrupted. Wow, good thing this was just a test! Has this ever happened to anyone else, or am I just lucky?

Back