Amazon Drivers Photographing Front Doors to Provide Proof of Delivery

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
Amazon is trying out something new to prove they delivered your package. They're having their delivery drivers take a picture of your door with the package upon delivery. The picture is then sent to the recipient so they know it's there. If this doesn't suit your taste you can opt out if you like. As far as I'm concerned I'm fine with this and wish UPS and FedEx would follow suit. Check out this tweet showing one of the Amazon photos.

"Amazon Logistics Photo On Delivery provides visual delivery confirmation - it shows customers that their package was safely delivered and where," Amazon spokesperson Kristen Kish explained.

"It’s one of many delivery innovations we’re working on to improve convenience for customers."

I guess some people have a lot worse luck with packages than me. I've had problems but they were resolved with a phone call or live chat to Amazon. I find it hard to believe those issues would be fixed by this, so what problem does this fix?

Or they deliver, take a photo and some other a-hole takes it.

I've seen enough posts / youtube videos - to know there are crackheads and other fucktards out there snatching up packages from your stoop.

USPS implemented this. So far I call my album of photographs "Anywhere but here".

Last time I ordered a hard drive from amazon it never showed up, said delivered but it wasn't. It was UPS, and my guess is it was a substitute driver since the regular guy knows how to find my house. But even though this is a rural mountain area the replacement was sent by a private driver. Wow I was surprised instead of around 5pm it was propped up against my front door by 10am. Don't know if they took a photo, means nothing much as others pointed out, but I was impressed, I'm pretty isolated and while you can find me on google maps, the address still confuses people. I may have to rethink my dislike of this new delivery method.

The light that reflects off puddles with a box in the middle of it can be difficult to take a photo of, confuses the auto-focus.

you are late to the party they have been doing this for the past year'

I've been getting these in the last month or so in north Texas. May have been a staged rollout?

In any case, it's not a bad thing to have, to see that a package did exist and was placed somewhere while the picture was taken. Doesn't provide much more evidence than that, though :).

Ya they've been doing this for a while in Kansas City. We have a distribution center near by so they probably do it more frequently here since it's Amazon delivered for same day orders. It actually shows a real time map if they are about to drop your package off. It will say 5 deliveries in front yours and has a uber type map showing where the delivery vehicle is. Needless to say, I have so many fucking boxes that build up constantly, it's almost a curse.

Or in my case, don't pay attention to the building number and cram it in my neighbors mailbox that shares the same street address.

10/10 would order again.

/place le package on le porch
/take picture of package on le porch
/take package
/fin

Yea, I've complained to them many times their photos don't mean shit. They've since stopped taking photos of my packages. I told them I telecommute so their SOB delivers can say whatever they want but the fact is they lie a lot. If you read the delivery particulars, they'll write comments like left on porch when it was really left on top of my block wall for every thief to see.

But I think USPS is the absolute worst.

Will be useful in those cases where the package was improperly delivered. My address is in 3" numbers at eye level over the mailbox on the porch. Still get mail and packages not for my address.

I had a single package dropped off months ago that had a picture taken and notification was sent to my phone, then never saw another.

Will be useful in those cases where the package was improperly delivered. My address is in 3" numbers at eye level over the mailbox on the porch. Still get mail and packages not for my address.

lol, reminds the other day USPS rang the door bell. Had me sign for a package, then handed me a neighbors package. I'm like WTF? Hello, are you paying attention and had to point their error out. I literally had to explain that they were giving me someone else's package. Another time, I waited all evening for a scheduled USPS delivery. I took a nap on the sofa knowing the door chimer which is crazy loud will wake me. I was awakened by an automated text saying my package was undeliverable, no signer. BS, I was there waiting. The USPS carrier threw another box that didn't need to be signed over my block wall, and stuck the non-deliverable message in my mailbox. The fucker never even rang the doorbell or even tried to get my signature! I really avoid USPS.

Ah, unions.
Then make sure you include UPS in that. So that leaves you with Fedex. Which would be more union except fedex is chartered as a air freight service while ups was chartered as a ground freight service meaning it was easier for UPS workers to unionize which they did.

Then make sure you include UPS in that. So that leaves you with Fedex. Which would be more union except fedex is chartered as a air freight service while ups was chartered as a ground freight service meaning it was easier for UPS workers to unionize which they did.

UPS asked the Teamsters to organize their workforce 100 years ago... /former UPSer

However, they also tend to work closely with management for deliveries. Bread and butter and all. Workers are extremely difficult to fire but can easily be moved to maintain service levels, etc. My bet is that USPS, which is as close to public as you can get without technically being public, lacks said flexibility to deal with issues.

[and in this way, I'm implying that public unions are far more problematic than private ones...]

UPS asked the Teamsters to organize their workforce 100 years ago... /former UPSer

However, they also tend to work closely with management for deliveries. Bread and butter and all. Workers are extremely difficult to fire but can easily be moved to maintain service levels, etc. My bet is that USPS, which is as close to public as you can get without technically being public, lacks said flexibility to deal with issues.

[and in this way, I'm implying that public unions are far more problematic than private ones...]
Might depend on area but UPS in my area is def full of unioned workers, esp the drivers. Public unions are more problematic because generally they have more actually rights to fight their case because it's against the government not a business.

All that anti-govt getting in peoples way stuff essentially is what makes public sector unions powerful. They stripped rights out of the private sector but because government is treated way differently from business in US law, it's been much sticker.

Oh, they're unionized- it's just that the unions typically work with management, as opposed to against management, to maintain service. Which is how it should be- public sector unions just do their best to set the service expectation as close to zero as possible.

Man, with some of the drivers that Amazon uses for their deliveries, I already feel like they are casing the joint.

Now they are going to have their cameras out shooting pics... even worse.

I can't even get Amazon Logistics drivers to ring the damn bell when they deliver, when I'm sitting at home waiting for them, so I'm doubtful my local jerks will snap a photo and send it to me. Now if they had to photograph the door, the gate, or however far they got before giving up and declaring they couldn't deliver and send that with the notification that they'd try again, that would be useful. If only to prove that the driver is lying, because it's the wrong door or there is no gate at the correct address. It's a neat idea, but the drivers - at least in my area - are in greater need of training in basic professionalism over adding in extra steps.

you are late to the party they have been doing this for the past year'

Same here. They've been taking pictures of home deliveries the past month.
No pictures when it's delivered to work since there is someone at the front desk.

All this proves is that they put a box on your porch when they took the picture. Doesn't mean they left it there.

hi Montu welcome to months ago news.

I get the why they are doing it and honestly find myself OK with this.

Same here. Two packages a week or so apart like 3 weeks ago.

Picture of one nothing for the other.

Last delivery they took a picture and I was notified of the delivery. Of course ringing the damn door bell would have accomplished the same thing. At least with the notification I knew it was there, otherwise I had no idea it was sitting out front

I hate just seeing packages in front of a door where noone is home. I think they should be required to get a signature of the resident. If they aren't home and have a leasing office (if it is an apartment) leave the package with the staff. The old system works best...get a signature, and if noone is there give, them two more days to arrange for an alternate delivery point. If nothing else leave it with a neighbor. Too many things are lost to theft. Everything is about increasing the profit margin for the shareholders, not about customer service or security. I have been at home and noone has knocked on the door or rung the bell, and packages have been sitting in front of the door all day (exposed to theft, and the weather). This is total bullshit!

The confusion I have is when my tracking says it was handed to a resident, and they have a picture of the package sitting on my deck... Very clearly, it wasn't handed to a resident.

Amazon drivers delivered three orders in a row to three different neighbors, and I was home.
And even with security cam footage Amazon refused to even investigate because there system shows delivered.
In the end I had to go knock on doors to find what house they delivered too.

So I don't see this helping much. I have had to switch to using a mail suite for deliveries.

They have time to take pictures but not actually ring the door bell or knock, apparently.

I can't even get Amazon Logistics drivers to ring the damn bell when they deliver, when I'm sitting at home waiting for them, so I'm doubtful my local jerks will snap a photo and send it to me. Now if they had to photograph the door, the gate, or however far they got before giving up and declaring they couldn't deliver and send that with the notification that they'd try again, that would be useful. If only to prove that the driver is lying, because it's the wrong door or there is no gate at the correct address. It's a neat idea, but the drivers - at least in my area - are in greater need of training in basic professionalism over adding in extra steps.

Last delivery they took a picture and I was notified of the delivery. Of course ringing the damn door bell would have accomplished the same thing. At least with the notification I knew it was there, otherwise I had no idea it was sitting out front

I hate just seeing packages in front of a door where noone is home. I think they should be required to get a signature of the resident. If they aren't home and have a leasing office (if it is an apartment) leave the package with the staff. The old system works best...get a signature, and if noone is there give, them two more days to arrange for an alternate delivery point. If nothing else leave it with a neighbor. Too many things are lost to theft. Everything is about increasing the profit margin for the shareholders, not about customer service or security. I have been at home and noone has knocked on the door or rung the bell, and packages have been sitting in front of the door all day (exposed to theft, and the weather). This is total bullshit!

Exactly this, i have left feedback for every package for the last year (well over 100) and they still dont ring the fucking doorbell!

I guess some people have a lot worse luck with packages than me. I've had problems but they were resolved with a phone call or live chat to Amazon. I find it hard to believe those issues would be fixed by this, so what problem does this fix?

Same. Amazon was ready to replace a 200 USD order on nothing but my word it wasn't there when I got home.

Dumbass driver just dropped it off at the wrong house.

I have my parcels delivered to the local post office. I'm never home when they're delivered anyhow and they always left a notice to pick them up from the post office. It saves the delivery driver a little bit of wasted time, and I know they won't just dump my stuff outside somewhere.

They've been doing this for months for the Amazon "contractor" delivered packages.... I have no problem with it, other than it slowing down the drivers. But since these are amazon "contractor" drivers, they dgaf, so whatever.

Yes! We constantly get packages from a house with the same street number on an intersecting street. Likewise they get ours a lot as well. This would be great to find out which neighbor got it!

I've been getting these in the last month or so in north Texas. May have been a staged rollout?

In any case, it's not a bad thing to have, to see that a package did exist and was placed somewhere while the picture was taken. Doesn't provide much more evidence than that, though :).

Its why they bought "Ring" for a Billy. An already established smartphone connected doorbell, its an easy way to make their new idea work because so many folks already have ring. Its easier to have someone deliver packages to an already installed camera than getting folks pay to install a new one.

BTW, Sharktank missed by wanting too much for the start up "doorbot' = "Ring". Would have been a big win for the guys that weren't a billionaire already.

Back