Amazon Dominated Nearly Everything This Year

HardOCP News

[H] News
Amazon is having a great year. How great? Good enough that all the year end articles are saying Amazon has "dominated nearly everything" this year.

Amazon will almost certainly break $100 billion in revenue for the first time on the back of continued growth in e-commerce, particularly Amazon Prime, as well as AWS. Amazon’s investments in original programming seem to be paying off as well: its television shows, offered to Prime subscribers, have proven to be both popular and critically acclaimed—in September, Amazon shows took home five Emmys.

Point to Amazon for reinventing themselves to stay relevant. See how you SHOULD have been doing business YAHOO??

Starting to look like the only two major players in the future are #1 Google+SpaceX and #2 Amazon.

Well they did have a failed phone. But Amazon's retail and services are pretty awesome.

Amazon is huge but I read that the Chinese Amazon called Alibaba is even bigger. I usually order from Aliexpress and it is really cheap.

Amazon is huge but I read that the Chinese Amazon called Alibaba is even bigger. I usually order from Aliexpress and it is really cheap.

How long does it take to get your products shipped to you on average?

Alibaba is an online only store though, Amazon sells much more than just goods. Also alibaba has zero competition in China, from what I read it only does mediocre in the outside markets.

WA state passed a law making illegal to buy from AliExpress. Amazon denies having anything to do with it.

WA state passed a law making illegal to buy from AliExpress. Amazon denies having anything to do with it.

Is that possible? I'm interested in reading if you have a link

Here you go

Turns out, Aliexpress has singled out Washington as the only state it won't do business with and it began with this:

"We had an anonymous tip that it appeared they were operating as an unlicensed money transfer," said Deb Bortner, Director of Consumer Services with the state's Department of Financial Institutions.

State regulators say that tip was true. Aliexpress and its payment site Alipay needed a money transfer license to hold funds, like escrow -- similar to what the state says Amazon, Google and Paypal have.

"They are licensed money transmitters, they follow the law and we expect others in the same position to follow the law if they want to do business here," Bortner said.

The license is a one-time $1,200 fee plus a tax, based on the total annual sales to Washington state residents -- a tax not to exceed $100,000 a year.

We asked Alibaba, the parent company of Aliexpress and Alipay, why it won't get a money transfer license in Washington.

In a statement, a company spokeswoman avoided answering that question, instead saying: "We are committed to serving Washington state and we are working as fast as we can to enable local consumers to experience our Aliexpress platform."

But in a 2012 letter from Alibaba attorneys to state regulators, the company says it believes it qualifies for an exemption from state law and "in the event that the state of Washington determines that no exemption from the money transmitter license is available" it "intends to certify that it will not provide services to Washington residents."

Bortner counters Alibaba "didn't meet any of the delineated list in the exemption list."

So there's now a standoff on the eve of the biggest shopping day for U.S. consumers: Washington state vs Aliexpress.

If you think the Alibaba blackout has anything to do with Amazon, the state says no. Our questions did prompt Washington state regulators to call states that allow Alibaba to do business. We're told some of them are re-evaluating those agreements.

Thanks for the link.

So it isn't really like originally framed - that WA passed a law making it illegal to buy from them specifically.

This sounds more like: We have a set of regulations (with tax implications) that you must comply with to do business in our state. Everyone else ponied up, and you can sell here too as soon as you get license in order.

I even purchase often from amazon.de or co.uk over Finland because of Amazon's excellent customer service and "no questions asked" simple return system.

Alibaba is an online only store though, Amazon sells much more than just goods. Also alibaba has zero competition in China, from what I read it only does mediocre in the outside markets.

Because it sells knockoff junk nobody wants in the USA. It was a Wall Street hype machine.

When I see a deal on Amazon I first go to ebay before buying. 70% of the time I find the same item (often from same seller) for same price or less - and no tax or shipping. I did the Prime free period once and wasn't impressed. I like Amazon's service but ebay has stepped up a lot. The few times I've had issues ebay resolved issues quick and easy. I use Amazon for reviews mostly and those have gone downhill by combining reviews for multiple items and leaving impressions they are all for one item

AWS is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Unless you need to VPN with any router/firewall in the modern day. BGP is fucking old and useless. No way to set a keep alive. No way to have a VPN pointing to only one host, just an entire subnet.

Yeah, I'd rather have sliced bread.

It's massive. Azure will never ever catch up. AWS is the hottest cert right now as well.

Azure may never catch up but it's huge and growing rapidly in its own right and its success is one reason why Microsoft's stock is near all time highs. One wouldn't be wasting their time adding it to their skill set.

Back