Amazon Discounting Prime Down To $79 On Friday

HardOCP News

[H] News
Those of you that have been waiting for a discount to jump on the Amazon Prime bandwagon or just looking to get a subscription for someone else, you can get $20 off the regular $99 price tag this Friday.

Amazon will send your gift recipient an email on the day you choose, along with redemption instructions. The gift recipient can start their Prime membership right away. If the recipient is already a Prime member, the gift can be exchanged for an Amazon.com Gift Card. The one-year gift membership does not automatically renew, and is not eligible for promotional offers.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Im guessing this is for the new version of prime limited to a single user. Don't switch to this if you have the old prime with other users on the account.

Didn't they do this last year around this time? If so...would be a good way to get Prime cheaper. Or do I smell some type of "gotcha" clause?

My Prime expires in mid-December. Perfect timing for renewal.

Im guessing this is for the new version of prime limited to a single user. Don't switch to this if you have the old prime with other users on the account.
If you mean the version that allows 5 users, then this is the new one, but the new one also allows other members to stream audio and video, so there are benefits to the new version too.

this is confusing, which version is this? and what are the specifics of the two versions?

also, I don't understand about gifting it to someone. If they're already a member they can exchange it for a gift card (that defeats the purpose of giving them a Prime sub). Can they simply save the gift and use it when their sub runs out?

As far as I know, there are no versions.

There are people that were grandfathered in to the old Prime accounts, and as long as they don't change anything and let it autorenew, they stay on their account where they can add several "family members" and those members accounts are separate. This allows coworkers to share an account for example, and split the costs.

Anyone signing up for a new account, like this, will get the new Prime system in which you can have multiple users but its really just one account where people can access each other's credit cards, purchase as one another, and see each other's purchases. This was put in place so that you really can only share the account with members of your immediate family in your household that you really trust.

Totally signing up for a renewal gift to myself, I've been using the hell out of my prime for the past year and made out like a bandit with the deals and massive amount of shipping I've saved on. close to 100 or so orders this year alone, most with 2 day or same day delivery for free. so my average price per order shipped it something at or below $1

hell - I ordered something last night at 3am, it was on my doorstep 7 hours later for free. (yay living next to two amazon facilities here in N texas)

--- Promotion does not apply to the gift of Prime.
New customers only, can't "gift it to yourself."

--- Promotion does not apply to the gift of Prime.
New customers only, can't "gift it to yourself."

What is "the gift of prime"? Confused, since they clearly say you can send this promotion as a gift.

What is "the gift of prime"? Confused, since they clearly say you can send this promotion as a gift.
I got 2 years of prime when I bought it (at discount) , and immedately bought it again at a discount, emailing the gift to myself to redeem it 1 year later. This method seems to have been closed as of last year and according to the banner yesterday.

You have to check out to get the savings. I just bought it
Do you have to be a new member or something??

This is what I get when I add to cart either link:
Amazon Prime (One Year Membership) is not available for you to purchase because you are either a Prime member or you are buying Prime with 1-Click ordering. Please delete this item to continue.

They have a "household" system you can use. Me and my wife both share my "prime" benefits, but she uses her own account.

Why create an Amazon Household?
Share select Prime benefits
Share the following selection of Prime benefits between two adult accounts:

• Fast & FREE Prime Shipping options (including unlimited FREE Two-Day Shipping, discounted One-Day Delivery, and Prime FREE Same-Day Delivery)
  • Streaming access to thousands of movies and TV shows with Prime Video
  • Unlimited listening to original audio series and handcrafted playlists with Audible Channels
  • 30-minute early access to Amazon Lightning Deals with Prime Early Access
  • Unlimited storage for photos with Prime Photos, one account for each adult Household member, to store photos and free up space on your phone
  • Access to free Kindle books through the Kindle Owners' Lending Library
  • 20% off diapers subscriptions and a 15% off Baby Registry completion discount, compliments of Amazon Family
  • Prime Fresh members can share their Fresh delivery benefits

Holy shit, that was $99? Wasn't it like $30 at some point?

That was back when they were destroying competitors. Now they don't have to compete as much.

Amazon is A to Z, meaning they want to control EVERYTHING in your life.

amazon-logo.jpg

That was back when they were destroying competitors. Now they don't have to compete as much.

amazon-logo.jpg
There was a lot less services then too. I've got prime via a relative without the extra benefits, but if I used the streaming audio, video or bought a lot more shit from Amazon, I'd get prime. The problem is that I just don't use it enough. I've made roughly 12 orders this year and the vast majority were eligible for free shipping without prime. Even if I make it to 20, that's a whopping $5.00 fee/order.

But for those ordering all the time and using the rest, it's a bargain. The video alone probably justifies the price, as does the access to streaming music. The photo backup is a nice perk, but the UI sucks donkey dick. I paid $5.00 for a year last year, and I won't do it again (unless it's $5.00)

I can't wait for them to bring "Amazon Women" to market, that will show up to my house, free shipping, with Amazon friendly packaging for easy access.

Death by Snu Snu!

Do you have to be a new member or something??

This is what I get when I add to cart either link:
Amazon Prime (One Year Membership) is not available for you to purchase because you are either a Prime member or you are buying Prime with 1-Click ordering. Please delete this item to continue.

I'm a new member, so I don't know what happens for someone that is one already. I just added to cart, begin checkout and it showed the savings.

Back