Amazon Denies Sony Used AWS For DDoS Counter-Attacks

HardOCP News

[H] News
First of all, claiming Sony DDoS attacked anyone is ridiculous. Everyone knows that a denial-of-service attack is far beyond the company's tech abilities. ;)

On Wednesday, tech site Recode reported that Sony had used hundreds of computers in Asia to initiate denial-of-service attacks on websites offering Sony's stolen data to the public. The sources of these attacks were allegedly Amazon Web Services data centers based in Tokyo and Singapore.

Gotta love the careful wording from Amazon. They said it's not currently happening, and also said they take care of problems when they hear about them, but unless I missed something they don't deny it happened. How does one reconcile that fact with the first sentence of the article, or title?

I sincerely doubt Sony would do this as it would land them in serious trouble. I would suspect hackers attacking rival groups getting ahold of the info before I would suspect Sony.

I sincerely doubt Sony would do this as it would land them in serious trouble. I would suspect hackers attacking rival groups getting ahold of the info before I would suspect Sony.

Unless they are doing something that actually would cause damage to a computer, it wouldn't be a problem, and several companies have used torrent poisoning in the past successfully. That's going back to the old peer guardian argument that companies have to actually connect with you to sue. that's just a urban legend.

Gotta love the careful wording from Amazon. They said it's not currently happening, and also said they take care of problems when they hear about them, but unless I missed something they don't deny it happened. How does one reconcile that fact with the first sentence of the article, or title?

Looks like what Sony is actually doing is using AWS to make a large number of bad seed torrents available to disrupt torrent downloads of the stolen material.

Makes Amazon's statement consistent.

Back