Amazon Delivery Drivers Sue, Alleging Pay Violation

HardOCP News

[H] News
The easiest way to avoid lawsuits like this is to just hire drivers the old fashioned way. That's how dad did it, that's how America used to do it, and it worked out pretty well. ;)

A group of drivers for the new Amazon Prime Now delivery service filed suit against the company Tuesday, alleging they were denied overtime pay, workers' compensation and mileage reimbursements. The workers say they were improperly classified as independent contractors instead of employees.

The one sucky part is the App never showed the drivers how much of a tip was given.

As far as i can tell the drivers work for a 3rd party company that was doing work for Amazon. So they are suing the company hiring THEIR company for not getting paid time off. And one guy only worked for about a month.

How long would you continue to work if you didn't get overtime pay, workers' compensation or mileage reimbursements?[/QUOTE]

Have you ever had a job that gave you paid time off before working there for 30 days? Also, I get that it's a kinda shitty job, I do. But if I took it knowing all that was going to happen I wouldn't SUE them.

If you were promised it when you got hired, then fine. You shouldn't take a job that you know is shitty then sue when it turns out to be what you already knew. Also, if hes only been there a month, what does the lawsuit get him? 100 bucks? 50 of which goes to the attorney. So hes out a job but at least he got 50 bucks.

You do realize a lawsuit like this is about more than getting some money back.. It's about legally defining what the drivers will be classified as from here on out.

lol, welcome to the truckers club. Deliver a product and have to wait 6 hours for the next pick up and not allowed to leave? That's on your own time. Get stuck in weighing? etc....

Then quit and find a new job. That's how we did it in our days...... If they can't find anyone to work they will change their ways to get worthy employees.

How long would you continue to work if you didn't get overtime pay, workers' compensation or mileage reimbursements?

If I wanted that I would not have taken the job at all. You are an idiot if you did not find out this information before taking the job, you can't agree to do a job for a given pay and benifits, and then deiced after taking the job you now want more, and they should be required to give it to you. They did not even work for Amazon, they were contractors for another company:

The named plaintiffs, four drivers from Orange County, allege they were classified as independent contractors even though Amazon set their schedules and controlled virtually all aspects of their work.

Uhh...Yeah, just like ANY client/contractor agreement.

"Plaintiffs cannot reject work assignments, nor can they request that their deliveries be restricted to a particular geographic area," the lawsuit reads. "Plaintiffs who do not follow defendants’ rules or instructions are subject to discipline up to and including termination."

Yeah, it's called a contract, if we hired a company to do a given job and they refused to do something that is a known part of that job, we would let them go in a second as well! Good God.

"Although drivers are paid $11 an hour, the suit claims that many are in reality receiving less than California's $9 minimum wage after factoring in expenses such as gas, tolls and maintenance."

Oh good God, this is what is wrong with this country. So, I don't make as much as I am actually paid because I didn't factor in my expenses? Don't like the job? Don't like the pay? DON'T TAKE THE JOB.

Then quit and find a new job. That's how we did it in our days...... If they can't find anyone to work they will change their ways to get worthy employees.

Because the job market today is just as it was 30 years ago gramps.

They have legitimate complaints, but it probably is not ground for a lawsuit.

How some of you look at these guys misfortune and say, "too bad" is sickening. They are entitled to minimum wage. If job duties I.e gas and tolls drop it below that, there is a problem. There is a reason we have a minimum wage and it's not so an employer can send people driving around the country for them and have them pocket nothing after job expenses.

It's a labor issue, so I'm sure it's Apple's fault in some way or another.

You know you hear about Walmart doing this and that now it's all about Amazon =)

If I wanted that I would not have taken the job at all. You are an idiot if you did not find out this information before taking the job, you can't agree to do a job for a given pay and benifits, and then deiced after taking the job you now want more, and they should be required to give it to you. They did not even work for Amazon, they were contractors for another company:

Why do people think it's that simple? You do realize you can get lied to before taking a job? When I worked at walmart they tell you all this cool shit you can get benefits\discounts\sick time\vacation but what they forget to tell you is that they change the policy all the time and to get them you have to work at walmart for a certain number of years or have worked their long enough to be grand fathered in. You can't get it but they still tell you about the perks the people working for walmart get before sam walton died. How about my wife working at khols part time and earning vacation. She had almost a week in total saved only for her vacation to disappear because they changed policy and nobody informed her that she had to use it lose it so when she went to ask about she was told that it was her responsibility to keep up with company policies. Amazon is no different. Retail managers get fired\quit one chain store and migrate to the next. It's the cycle of retail life.

They want Amazon to pay for all their gas, tolls, and maintenance costs too? Lol. I really don't see their lawsuit going very far at all. I should sue my company for not paying for any of those for me either.

I just don't think these people really knew that they weren't full fledged employees. From the sounds of it they don't even work for Amazon, but for a company contracted by Amazon.

Have you ever had a job that gave you paid time off before working there for 30 days? Also, I get that it's a kinda shitty job, I do. But if I took it knowing all that was going to happen I wouldn't SUE them.

I hear there are some openings. You sound like the ideal candidate for the job

That's right! Hey toots if you don't like my rubbing your ass every time you walk by they quit! If you don't like working long shifts for less than minimum wage because you get tips (which FYI you can not do in CA, your base wage must start at minimum wage) then quit! You don't like working in that factory with all that shit flying in the air? then QUIT!

That said, these numbnuts just now figuring this out? When I first saw the ads for drivers (which I thought was more than $11/hr) I did some quick mental calculations and saw that you really aren't getting paid that much after out of pocket money comes out.

How long would you continue to work if you didn't get overtime pay, workers' compensation or mileage reimbursements?

Have you ever had a job that gave you paid time off before working there for 30 days? Also, I get that it's a kinda shitty job, I do. But if I took it knowing all that was going to happen I wouldn't SUE them.[/QUOTE]

Pretty much. Know what you're signing up for. I use to work as a contractor for the Maryland Film Industry. There are things you agree to upfront. Most people aren't trying to "swindle you." They might be cheap, but they are honest about it.

You can deduct mileage from your taxes. You can't if they re-imburse you. There's positive and negative to each.

Because the job market today is just as it was 30 years ago gramps.

They have legitimate complaints, but it probably is not ground for a lawsuit.

How some of you look at these guys misfortune and say, "too bad" is sickening. They are entitled to minimum wage. If job duties I.e gas and tolls drop it below that, there is a problem. There is a reason we have a minimum wage and it's not so an employer can send people driving around the country for them and have them pocket nothing after job expenses.

Oh boohoo, I have to actually try to get a job or have some relevant needed skill. :rolleyes:

They are NOT entitled to anything, people today think however, they are entitled to EVERYTHING. If job duties cost more than you care bare, do not take the job, what is so hard about this? The reason we have minimum wage is because it gets people votes, and the ones it gets votes from are to ignorant of economics to understand they are hurting everyone. It is also not misfortune, and do not try and twist it that way, because THAT is sickening. They agreed to a job, not even for amazon, but for a contract company, these drivers then were put delivering for Amazon, it is the contract company that is paying the drivers, do you even understand what is going on here or do you just hate corporations that bad?

Why do people think it's that simple? You do realize you can get lied to before taking a job? When I worked at walmart they tell you all this cool shit you can get benefits\discounts\sick time\vacation but what they forget to tell you is that they change the policy all the time and to get them you have to work at walmart for a certain number of years or have worked their long enough to be grand fathered in. You can't get it but they still tell you about the perks the people working for walmart get before sam walton died. How about my wife working at khols part time and earning vacation. She had almost a week in total saved only for her vacation to disappear because they changed policy and nobody informed her that she had to use it lose it so when she went to ask about she was told that it was her responsibility to keep up with company policies. Amazon is no different. Retail managers get fired\quit one chain store and migrate to the next. It's the cycle of retail life.

No, you allow yourself to be taken in by not doing your due diligence. You get, in writing, what you are agreeing to in the job, from pay, benefits (such as POT, gas card, company truck, vacation time, overtime, shift differential etc etc), to job duties. That way you know what is expected from both sides, this is like any other agreement, and you should always be clear in it. When I started my last job, I had my full job duties laid out, as well as pay and expectations etc etc. A guy in another department, but closely related to mine was shit, and ended up getting fired for it. They expected me to fill both jobs "till we find someone", I have been there and done that, no thanks, so I told them flat out no, that is not what I have in writing, they shut up very fast about it then, a week later come to me with a paper to sign that my job duties were "expanding" and the new ones were the other job, I refused to sign, they could fire me sure, but they would have been in an even worse spot, 2 weeks after that they had someone hired for the position.

So if you do not keep up with vital parts or benefits, pay etc etc as part of your job, it IS your fault. Also remember you can add or change these agreements before being hired and is normal, but taking a job at face value and then wanting more money later is a joke and a money grab. You are telling me you are going to take a DRIVING job as a contractor, and not ask if tolls/gas etc are covered, this is so common in contracted work, most of the time expenses are not covered. Hell, even forum members just reading about the job were talking about it before they were even available, and found out just from articles that expenses would not be covered.

It's not Amazon's job first of all. It's the contractor's job. There is a reason why companies use contract companies. So Amazon should be out of the lawsuit based on that already.

The contracting company schoobiz or whatever it was, shouldn't have to pay for maintenance. It was probably even in their contract. Your cost to do the job neither, while different, it almost seems like they're demanding to get lunch and dinner everyday or else they can't function. But I can't say I know enough about that. Finally tho, I don't think the article mentioned if they were paid salary or not, cuz afaik, salaries are basically ways to not pay for overtime. They mention per hours, but I know people use it interchangeably. But considering it's a drive job, paying per shipment or salary makes more sense because I know there are drivers who just do their own shit during work and waste time.

Back