Amazon Cloud Player now native on iOS

westrock2000

[H]F Junkie
Amazon just released the Cloud Player in the App store. Its awsome! It works very similar to iTunes so you can double tap the home key to get basic controlls and it will play in the background while you do other non-sound related stuff.

And most importantly it PLAYS OVER PROXY! So you can use it on the Wifi at work.

What makes it great is that Amazon charges $20 a year for 20GB of cloud storage (the lowest tier aside from the free 5GB), but for the paid tiers anything thats MP3 or AAC does not count towards your data. So I uploaded my entire collection of music which is 60GB and it still says I have 20GB of free space. I can have my most played music locally on the iPhone, but when I get a hankering to listen to something I don't usually listen to I have access to it as long as the phone can get to the Internet.

A god send, since as you all know, Apple charges a massive premium on storage space.

On the desktop side, the Amazon Cloud uploader (I use Windows) let you drag and drop folders into the application to upload. Whats nice is that it will ask you if you want to "replace existing" or "upload new files only" so you can just keep dropping your main music folder onto the app and it will only add new songs you've added instead of doing the whole thing everytime.

Maybe this will push Apple to make the iCloud not so crazy expensive and make it more usefull.

I'm very happy with the Amazon service now. I don't know if you ever tried to load the Amazon Cloud Player website on the iPhone before this, but it was terrible terrible terrible.

Have you used iTunes Match?

Here's my rub with Google Music and Amazon Cloud Player - you have to upload all your music to them. Whenever you upload new music you add that too.

With iTunes Match as soon as I add the music to the library, it's there, on all my iOS devices and iTunes libraries within seconds. Unless it's something really obscure.

The only disadvantage with match is the 25,000 track limit but that's also putting you somewhere in the 100GB range.

Don't get me wrong it's nice to see any competition in this space but it would be really nice to see Amazon work out a deal to be able to offer a service similar to match vs. uploading all your music.

Have you used iTunes Match?

I had not heard about Match, thanks for bring that up. I like the iTunes integration. It sounds like it donwloads songs to the device and then you play them from the device, or does it stream in real time?

iCloud is not crazy expensive. What are you talking about?

10 additional GB (15 GB total): $20/year
20 additional GB (25 GB total): $40/year
50 additional GB (55 GB total): $100/year

Only purchased music is allowed to not count towards that. Not all music like other services.

On a computer, any songs stored in iCloud will stream over the air when played, though you can download them at any time by clicking the iCloud download button. iOS devices will start playing tracks from iCloud as they download and will store them so that you can listen to them later even if you don’t have a network connection. Apple TV only streams songs.

I had not heard about Match, thanks for bring that up. I like the iTunes integration. It sounds like it donwloads songs to the device and then you play them from the device, or does it stream in real time?

This is the Apple forum and most (NOT ALL) of Apple users use iTunes.

If you are just using something for cloud MP3 then iTunes Match seems better. However, Amazon cloud service does every file type not just music.

Back