Amazon 10 Days of Deals (digital downloads)

Hmm, they have Supreme Commander 2 for $6. Can I buy it there and activate it through Steam or do I have to use Amazon's service of some sort? I'm unfamiliar with their digital download system. It is Yet Another System I'd have to install to use, like Direct 2 Drive, Impulse/Stardock, etc?
And how would one get the Infinite War add-on DLC which is available through Steam if they got this through Amazon?

It depends on the game if it will activate through steam or not.

Amazon requires you to install and use their download manager to download the games from them. Their download manager is just a simple client that waits for you to start a download on their site. It defaults to running automatically on start, so IIRC you have to go to options and disable that option and then exit the client after your finish the download if you don't want it running all the time. I never used the D2D download client, but Amazon's reminds me of GoG's downloader client. It is not like Impulse where it has a store attached to it.

As far as DLC you might not want to get it from Amazon cause usually DLC for steam is a whole different product and are incompatible when bought from other sites. If the main game uses steam and no matter where you buy it it uses steam, then maybe it'll work, but if you are talking getting the DLC from Amazon and using it with a steam version and the main game also has retail non steam game versions, then it will most likely not work.

Thanks for the info. The DLC isn't even available on Amazon, which is why I was wondering. I think SupCom2 is a Steam only game, and the DLC is only on Steam, so I'm thinking the game downloaded from Amazon might work via Steam but I'm not sure how that would work. I guess i'd have to try it to find out.

edit: Just found the fine print: "Additional Installation Information
Steam account required for installation and online play"

:)

GOG, Amazon, Impulse and D2D do not require a client to be running to play games purchased from them. All except D2D, which just recently dropped the requirement, require their app to download their games. The issue you can have is a patch or DLC may not work on one if purchased from another source. Impulse and D2D usually require that patches come from them although there are exceptions. The reason for this is usually the DRM is different then the retail version and from the other digital retailers. If the DRM is the same as from the Publisher then patches from the publisher should work.

Tark

D2D and GoG do not require an download client but do offer one if you want it (I actually like GoG's updated one), but I am pretty certain Amazon does. Last game I bought from them ArmA II required me to download a client or I couldn't download the install files.

Regarding SupCom2 install:

Additional Installation Information
Steam account required for installation and online play

When I bought shogun total war 2 on amazon recently I had to use their installer and download the game from them before it'd give me the key. Then I registered it on Steam and haven't used it since.

Really annoying and stupid decision imo. If they just released the cd-key immediately after purchase I could've downloaded about 10x faster on steam(+ for me) and it would've saved them bandwidth(+for them).

When I bought shogun total war 2 on amazon recently I had to use their installer and download the game from them before it'd give me the key. Then I registered it on Steam and haven't used it since.

Really annoying and stupid decision imo. If they just released the cd-key immediately after purchase I could've downloaded about 10x faster on steam(+ for me) and it would've saved them bandwidth(+for them).

Thanks, that's basically what I was wondering. One 7GB d/l, but if i never have to do it again, that's fine.

I had to use comrade (d2d's new client) to download Two Worlds 2. For some reason I couldnt get it to download any other way.

Just an addendum, it was painfully slow here(I live in Asia though, so that may be why) and I would've paid a few dollars more to skip that, since I think it took me 8+hrs to dl off amazon, vs about 30-45mins off steam.

Sweet! I just gave it a shot and the new Amazon download manager has a button to provide you the key so you don't have to d/l it first.

Never had that problem. Bought DA2 and DA Ultimate from them and was able to get my key without downloading anything.

Yeah, it's tempting to get it for $30, but I'll wait for a bigger price drop. Might take a year before we see it on sale for under $20.

This is EA that we're talking about not Activision. It will be selling for $20 or less in a couple of months, same with DA2.

Thanks for the info guys. really enjoying Crysis 2 finally :).

Crysis 2 is not worth 1 cent over $15

I've seen alot of negative reviews about this game. For being such a new game with so many poor reviews seems like the game is not worth buying.

I've seen alot of negative reviews about this game. For being such a new game with so many poor reviews seems like the game is not worth buying.

I'm not going to say it doesn't deserve some negative press, but a lot of people are just pissed that its multiplatform and doesn't murder their computers despite most of them probably being the peoples that called Crysis 1 poorly coded when they couldn't max it out on release.

I'm not going to say it doesn't deserve some negative press, but a lot of people are just pissed that its multiplatform and doesn't murder their computers despite most of them probably being the peoples that called Crysis 1 poorly coded when they couldn't max it out on release.

Could be???? :confused:

Is the game fun to play? Over and over again? How is the online multi-player experience.

Does the game play leave you feeling like you are in the fight?

Could be???? :confused:

Is the game fun to play? Over and over again? How is the online multi-player experience.

Does the game play leave you feeling like you are in the fight?

Haven't beaten the SP yet. Haven't touched MP. I don't have my own copy of the game and am playing my bosses, so no online. Though based on the beta the MP is a COD clone with suit powers. I've enjoyed what I've played of the SP though, just keep getting distracted by other games. I don't think $30 is a bad price for it, but like someone else said it will probably be cheaper in a few months anyway.

It is good. Free roaming but still has a story, and the building destruction physics are unparalleled in any game. At it's best, it's a Martian Monster Truck simulator, but at it's worst, it can be a bit boring and annoying in a few missions.

It's well worth six bucks just to watch multi-story buildings crumble under the power of your sledgehammer.

Back