Amazingly tame Win10 "RS5" 17763.1 'goes RTM'

SuperSubZero

2[H]4U
Barring any last-second oopsies on the part of MS (like last time), the next "not this again" major update for Windows 10 has been finalized. Don't think it has any special name yet, it's so far just "1809" or "Fall 2018 Release" or whatever.

So far, it's.. quite boring. On initial upgrade, virtually nothing looks different. The only thing that sticks out is explorer.exe now has a dark mode that matches the UWP setting. It's.. not as good as macOS Mojave's dark mode, and of course it's not universal, so stuff like legacy GDI things (Disk Management, Control Panel, etc.) are still just in white, which makes them that much more bright. The Cortana search box looks bigger than I remember it.

There's a new UWP snipping tool, "Snip & Sketch," which is a bit overblown, but this *might* have just enough buttons and knobs for people who regret not buying SnagIt. The Game Bar is now a standalone app with an icon. Skype got revamped a bit, and ignores the system UWP theme (?) so I had to set it manually to dark. Edge got a few more buttons and knobs, and they had to make the dropdown menu font smaller to get it all to fit.

One thing to watch for, is Disk Cleanup (and the UWP version of it) now have the DOWNLOADS FOLDER as a checkbox to clean up (ie. delete everything in it).

It feels like six months of updates in the new "Windows isn't our main focus" Microsoft style. Expect a Day 0 Cumulative update, as even their Insider blog for this build clearly said they had a handful of known issues.

its been working fine for me so far. I did notice that disk cleanup "issue" though. but I dont save there so not an issue for me. others might not be happy.

I think Microsoft moved towards a tick-tock style upgrade where one feature update a year will be more rich than the other in changes.

I heard that they are deprecating Snipping Tool or renaming it to something. I use Disk Cleanup all the time to clean those multiple GBs of Windows Update Cleanup files. Windows10 keeps getting worse. And now with CoC, Linux looks like it will be in the toilet soon.

I definitely still use Disk Cleanup to clear out Windows Update files. CCleaner and the like don't seem to touch those, at least none that I've used.
Based upon everything I've read, this is a pretty minor update on the surface. I might DL a copy tonight (it's available via media creation tool right now) just to see what it's all about, though. Apparently it's required for RTX ray tracing, there's that I guess. I can always hope for better HDR support, too. I'm still annoyed by the disconnect between the Control Panel and the newer Settings menu.

that annoys me too. I still prefer the CP.

Ditto. After every large Windows patch one of the first things I have to do is restore the option to right click the start menu and get to the Control Panel quickly. I wish they'd just rip the band-aid off and combine the two.

I DL'd and tested it out last night. Not a whole lot of surface changes. There are several new UWP apps (like Xbox Gamebar, Your Phone, and the new snipping tool type program), but that's kinda it. Disk Cleanup is still in the the same place and still works fine.
They do seem to be adding more HDR options, although there's still no way to tweak anything except brightness.

I doubt most people will notice when this rolls out to everyone.

I DL'd and tested it out last night. Not a whole lot of surface changes. There are several new UWP apps (like Xbox Gamebar, Your Phone, and the new snipping tool type program), but that's kinda it. Disk Cleanup is still in the the same place and still works fine.
They do seem to be adding more HDR options, although there's still no way to tweak anything except brightness.

I doubt most people will notice when this rolls out to everyone.

I know I will. The machine will stop working altogether; or begin the update, stumble upon an error of any kind, revert back to previous install in a sort-of-working state... everything is broken, back as an undead. On and on it goes.

MS always had the one-up on Linux because of the whole bleeding edge nature of it. Then LTR distros came, and Windows decided to go bleeding-edge. Go figure.

I've been pretty lucky with the bi-annual big updates. The very first one (1511 I think) gave me fits with broken UWP apps, but I've had no issues since.
I think the key is that I've also installed all subsequent versions via downloading an ISO and installing them that way. After experiencing some quirks with friends' and work PC's, I'm convinced that the Windows Update patches (and especially the "Insider" builds) are problematic.

I've been pretty lucky with the bi-annual big updates. The very first one (1511 I think) gave me fits with broken UWP apps, but I've had no issues since.
I think the key is that I've also installed all subsequent versions via downloading an ISO and installing them that way. After experiencing some quirks with friends' and work PC's, I'm convinced that the Windows Update patches (and especially the "Insider" builds) are problematic.

I was personally lucky as well. But then I started working Customer Support.

The issues are NOT a statistical blip, trust me. And oddly enough, custom builds tend to have LESS issues than OEM stuff.

There's a new UWP snipping tool, "Snip & Sketch," which is a bit overblown, but this *might* have just enough buttons and knobs for people who regret not buying SnagIt.
That's interesting. I used Snagit at my last job, and fell in love with the program. I haven't had much need for it on a personal basis, but in my new position, I have found some times where I really wished I had it. I'll have to check it out once the update is available to me.

so it's officially out today...good to know...time to do a fresh install with the iso...

Ditto. After every large Windows patch one of the first things I have to do is restore the option to right click the start menu and get to the Control Panel quickly. I wish they'd just rip the band-aid off and combine the two.

They cannot do that because of backwards compatibility. In my opinion, it would break too many things and we have already seen the outcry when they change things too quickly.

I was personally lucky as well. But then I started working Customer Support.

The issues are NOT a statistical blip, trust me. And oddly enough, custom builds tend to have LESS issues than OEM stuff.

9 times out of 10, I would say it is because of the crap OEM software that comes with the computer. (Just my professional opinion, could be wrong though.)

Very nice, I had a few computers that wouldn't update to 1803 for whatever reason, all stuck on 1709. They would always rollback half way through. They all updated to 1809 just fine.

I am waiting for both AMD (My desktop) and Nvidia (My Lenovo P50 Laptop) to update their drivers before updating my system to the latest build.

Back