Amazing GTA V Image Quality Mod

nice!... might have to try it out after i upgrade :D

So what are the requirements and performance levels?

In order to use every file and get the most out of this modification, you must meet the following requirements:

1. Latest version of Grand Theft Auto V. (1.0.505.2)

2.You must install ---> OPENIV <--- as well as the plug-ins that it prompts you too.

3. MAKE A FULL BACKUP OF YOUR ENTIRE, ORIGINAL,GTA V FOLDER.

4. A sufficient amount of reserve vram and processing power!(Do not expect your game to stay playable if you are barely bouncing along at 30 fps without the mod. Performance is a big priority for me, but there is of course still a minor impact. Be prepared to lower your in game settings if you run a low tier rig and already have troubles running the game smoothly.)

So cranking up the reflections to make the cars look like they're made of Turtle Wax = high quality? :rolleyes:

This is the same shit racing game designers do to get away with half-assing their car designs. Just throw a big heaping bucket of specular on it, and hope people don't notice.

So cranking up the reflections to make the cars look like they're made of Turtle Wax = high quality? :rolleyes:

This is the same shit racing game designers do to get away with half-assing their car designs. Just throw a big heaping bucket of specular on it, and hope people don't notice.

You havent used this, I'll assume. Its far more than just the vehicles.

Did you look at anything else but cars?

Agreed, looks like ass, but then again I hate this stupid SweetFX shit people toss on everything. It's like with music and the "loudness war"; it's been proven that the average person thinks "loud" (compressed) music sounds better. That doesn't actually make it better! Same idea here with graphics, people think throwing on a few filters and effects makes it look better but all it really does is reduce accuracy. They act like no thought was placed on environment design. I mean, what's next, filters on Van Gogh? Perhaps some audio tweaking on Mozart? I'd argue it doesn't look more realistic but rather less because it is not natural. Yet to be honest we can't turn on a television or video without seeing artificial everything, so maybe people really do prefer it.

Looks like i'll need pascal to run this bad boy at full tilt, 4k texture work holy crap!

Agreed, looks like ass, but then again I hate this stupid SweetFX shit people toss on everything. It's like with music and the "loudness war"; it's been proven that the average person thinks "loud" (compressed) music sounds better. That doesn't actually make it better! Same idea here with graphics, people think throwing on a few filters and effects makes it look better but all it really does is reduce accuracy. They act like no thought was placed on environment design. I mean, what's next, filters on Van Gogh? Perhaps some audio tweaking on Mozart? I'd argue it doesn't look more realistic but rather less because it is not natural. Yet to be honest we can't turn on a television or video without seeing artificial everything, so maybe people really do prefer it.

Well it looks good to me. On music, I generally agree, but compression isn't bad. It's hyper-compression that's bad. However, it may serve a purpose in cars that don't block out road noise. I know back in the day, I manually compressed vinyl -> cassette recordings to mask tape hiss (though I mostly did this on things like Pink Floyd where quiet intros/outros were fairly common.

How does it perform?
I couldn't care less if it's photo realistic if it's only 5fps. The old GTA4 mods were notorious slideshows but looked amazing in stills.

Well to be fair, some games have godawful tinting of everything where you practically NEED sweetfx to try and fix it. However best I can tell, GTA V is not one off those games.

I would say there is more than just car reflection going on.
And as for things like
I think there is a huge difference in games using FX mods.
This is how my skyrim looked vanilla
pajPwa24XbN9PFV47

this is after FX mods
iVyeSWGCrceqyJ6HA

Dear Developer Guy,

Please do Fallout 4 next.

Sincerely,
The PC Master Race

@ cptnjarhead, the 1st screenshot looks more realistic just from a quick glance. Maybe it's just the scene's you picked?

To the people saying this looks worse than the original... ARE YOU SERIOUS? :confused:

I would say there is more than just car reflection going on.
And as for things like
I think there is a huge difference in games using FX mods.
This is how my skyrim looked vanilla
pajPwa24XbN9PFV47

this is after FX mods
iVyeSWGCrceqyJ6HA
Your vanilla pic looks tinted and a little undersaturated, so it's understandable you'd want to change that. Your sweetfx pic looks less tinted, but clearly oversaturated with the contrast too high also. This is the problem with 90% of SweetFX mods, they overcorrect way past the point of realism or good taste.

The thing is, humans (not all, obviously) tend to find unrealistic colors/vibrance more attractive. It's not so much about looking "realistic" as it is about being perceived as looking "great".

To the people saying this looks worse than the original... ARE YOU SERIOUS? :confused:
Some of them do, some of them don't. This picture from the article is a pretty good example:

1448989497ADprOwBtCr_1_3_l.jpg

Why does looking directly at the sun mean everything turns muted light grey? Or this one:

1448989497ADprOwBtCr_1_5_l.jpg

Is having a strong, jet black shadow in low overcast lighting also considered realistic? I'm not saying GTA V is flawless, but these "realism" mods tend to be mixed bags that only look good in certain conditions, whereas the default game tends to look decent in almost every scenario.

Why does looking directly at the sun mean everything turns muted light grey? Or this one:

Is having a strong, jet black shadow in low overcast lighting also considered realistic? I'm not saying GTA V is flawless, but these "realism" mods tend to be mixed bags that only look good in certain conditions, whereas the default game tends to look decent in almost every scenario.

How does this translate in motion vs still pictures? I'd be interested in seeing if these issues are mostly a concern in screenshots perhaps.

Some of them do, some of them don't. This picture from the article is a pretty good example:

http://www.hardocp.com/images/news/1448989497ADprOwBtCr_1_3_l.jpg

If you mean near the top of the picture, because that's what happens when you look at the sun and it's definitely what a camera produces. If you're referring to something else, then I guess I don't see the issue.

1448989497ADprOwBtCr_1_3_l.jpg

1448989497ADprOwBtCr_1_5_l.jpg

overcast.jpg

This is a car in an overcast environment. Literally the first result when searched 'car in overcast'

The problem most people have with these mods is that the people have no concept of what real-life looks like, and that if something is too dark/too bright/covers up detail/makes things blurry then it MUST be unrealistic.

Real life is blurry.

Real life has big, blotchy shadows.

Real life has blinding sunstreaks,

This mod is beautiful.

overcast.jpg

This is a car in an overcast environment. Literally the first result when searched 'car in overcast'

The problem most people have with these mods is that the people have no concept of what real-life looks like, and that if something is too dark/too bright/covers up detail/makes things blurry then it MUST be unrealistic.

Real life is blurry.

Real life has big, blotchy shadows.

Real life has blinding sunstreaks,

This mod is beautiful.

If real life is blurry that means you need glasses actually.

Maybe he meant that light and shadows are easily diffused. Blurry can mean a lot to different people.

If you mean near the top of the picture, because that's what happens when you look at the sun and it's definitely what a camera produces. If you're referring to something else, then I guess I don't see the issue.
The point is looking at the sun should literally be the brightest thing possible you can do. Why isn't it WHITE? Here's an example of blinding sun:

http://aphs.worldnomads.com/thebigtrip/17701/DSCF4172.jpg

It's white, if in-game the color of the sun is only light grey, what exactly would constitute something bright enough to be white?

It's more complicated than that. The overcast lighting looks darker than what you would see naturally during the day, even with overcast. If you notice in your picture, the sky is noticeably brighter. This comes back to what I was pointing out about the sun. It's like they're afraid to use the full light range, so you get this weird effect like you have sunglasses on, not exactly realistic. It looks good at times, off in many others.

Moreover, look at the curbs in the GTA picture, it's casting dark shadows on both the left and right side. So yeah, one side looks great, the other sends signals something is off.

Okay I found a better example of what I'm talking about. Apparently the color range to this mod is off. Here's a more extreme example I found:

unbenannt3uoujt.png

This is the same thing that's happening in these, just not quite as bad. This is why the sun is light grey and the overcast lighting still doesn't look natural.

It's pretty easy to spot problems (for me it's the hand/gun model that stands out the most), but overall it looks like a nice upgrade from the original. It's an exciting time watching game approach photorealism and I can't wait to get to the point where it completely tricks the majority of people, especially within VR. Kudos to folks pouring in all the hard work on this stuff!

Okay I found a better example of what I'm talking about. Apparently the color range to this mod is off. Here's a more extreme example I found:

unbenannt3uoujt.png

This is the same thing that's happening in these, just not quite as bad. This is why the sun is light grey and the overcast lighting still doesn't look natural.

Fair enough. I don't see the sunstreak effect that you are talking about, but I would definately be pissed if I did. Perhaps my work monitor is not accurately portraying the intensities.

Do you think this looks better:

Untitled_1.jpg

yea, the sun streaks stood out to me as suspicious. it makes more sense if the air is dirty, but on such an otherwise crystal clear day it's probably not realistic:

Untitled_2.jpg

ya but dude..

damnit imgur sucks

ya but dude..

damnit imgur sucks

Google Sites is the best image hosting source I've ever encountered. Just upload images to 'use in a site' and you can URL link them, and if you compress the Jpeg yourself, Google does not perform ANY extra compression.

Back