AM4+ (Zen 2/Ryzen 3x00): DDR4 or DDR5 support?

euskalzabe

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi!

I'm planning on making a Zen 2/Ryzen 3x00 build next spring 2019 . I'm wondering if those mobos will support DDR5 or still stick to DDR4? I ask because I'm currently on:

ASUS Prime B250M-A
Intel Core i5-7500
Nvidia GTX 1060
8 GB DDR4 3200

I'm thinking of getting this "cheap" 2400 2x4 stick but I'd only do it if I can reuse the RAM in my spring build. The 2400hz won't be a problem since my Intel mobo can't handle more than 2400hz anyway (got the 3200hz cos it was actually cheaper than 2400 when I bought it in March 2017).

More RAM would be nice, but if it'll be useless in 6 months in the new build, then I can wait it out.

Supposedly there is a validation process under way. How that pans out short term is difficult to say but the last time something fell in between AMD had memory controller on board to support both DDR2 / 3 and it was up to the motherboard to support either.

But so far no one reported anything happening to Zen (current or next) having memory controller for DDR5.

zen 3 should be ddr5 since that'll be the first ryzen processor on a new socket.. zen 2 will be am4 still. both amd and intel are slated to move to ddr5 sometime in 2019/2020..

Thanks y'all. Went ahead and bought it, as it's most likely to be usable in my Zen2 build. It's $17 more expensive than what I paid for 3200mhz memory a year and a half ago, but I doubt I'm going to find a better deal than $66 for 8GB 2400mhz in the next few months. Not officially on the QVL list for my mobo, but there's enough similar 2400mhz Patriot products on the QVL that it's probably just a SKU difference and it'll work without issue.

Thanks again for the guidance. I miss the days when QVL didn't exist and one didn't worry about memory maybe working or not. Now I just use QVL as general guidance but not give it too much thought.

Remember that like previous generations DDR5 will likely be more expensive than DDR4 at the start. Intel is also likely to use it first but they really are not in a good position to introduce a new motherboard and CPU that require more expensive ram than AMD. I don't see this happening until Intel has their second generation 10nm CPUs out at the earliest.

Last edited:
Remember that like previous generations DDR5 will likely be expensive than DDR4 at the start. Intel is also likely to use it first but they really are not in a good position to introduce a new motherboard and CPU that require more expensive ram than AMD. I don't see this happening until Intel has their second generation 10nm CPUs out at the earliest.

all hinges on 10nm for intel since that's the process certified for ddr5 and pcie 4.0.. the longer that's delayed the more time amd has to prepare for it. but i agree ddr5 will be stupid expensive out the door with both manufactures using it unlike ddr4 where you only had intel and not many people were moving to the platform very quickly when they made the switch. once AMD joined the party prices went through the roof due to intentional limited production of ddr4.

Back