AM4 XSPC Raystorm Pro Question. Kinda Urgent

notarat

2[H]4U
So I did some work on the case and mounted the waterblock (mentioned in the thread title)

The instructions that came with it were not accurate and the kit contained parts not on the parts list...these extra parts aren't mentioned anywhere on the XSPC site either...

If I follow the instructions "to the letter", specifically the part about using one of the nylon washers when connecting the mounting screws to the back plate, the backplate and mounting screws rattle around because the mounting screws do not actually put ANY pressure on thge back plate at all.

None. no pressure at all to hold the back plate. It's like having normal depth lugnuts to secure your tires but your lugs themselves are too long...the tire is "on" but it's not "secure" by any means...

prob.jpg

Again...There's at least an 8th of an inch of movement of the back plate...

If I use the extra included washers (which are thicker than the pictured washers above, and I stacked them 2 washers tall) the back plate is very secure...

Anyone have any idea WTF XSPC is doing? (because they evidently do not)

I'm using the Raystorm on AM4.

Same problem.

I had to add the extra nylon washers to take the slack out of the back plate.

It's been up and running with good temps for about a month. I keep checking it and haven't found any problems yet.

Hope this eases your mind.

Keep us posted.

And Good luck!

I'm using the Raystorm on AM4.

Same problem.

I had to add the extra nylon washers to take the slack out of the back plate.

It's been up and running with good temps for about a month. I keep checking it and haven't found any problems yet.

Hope this eases your mind.

Keep us posted.

And Good luck!

It does ease my mind a LOT. THANKS!

I take it the extra washers were the really flexible (almost rubbery-feeling) ones?

I'm sure if you tighten the block down even with the play the pressure it puts on the CPU will tighten the backplate and force the pressure to the CPU. Lots of Coolit AIOs had this problem on intel back when using a motherboard that was a 4 layer PCB vs an 8 layer PCB. Should be a non issue.

So I did some work on the case and mounted the waterblock (mentioned in the thread title)

The instructions that came with it were not accurate and the kit contained parts not on the parts list...these extra parts aren't mentioned anywhere on the XSPC site either...

If I follow the instructions "to the letter", specifically the part about using one of the nylon washers when connecting the mounting screws to the back plate, the backplate and mounting screws rattle around because the mounting screws do not actually put ANY pressure on thge back plate at all.

None. no pressure at all to hold the back plate. It's like having normal depth lugnuts to secure your tires but your lugs themselves are too long...the tire is "on" but it's not "secure" by any means...

View attachment 210273

Again...There's at least an 8th of an inch of movement of the back plate...

If I use the extra included washers (which are thicker than the pictured washers above, and I stacked them 2 washers tall) the back plate is very secure...

Anyone have any idea WTF XSPC is doing? (because they evidently do not)

That's normal. When you tighten the contraption down all the play goes away.

I have the same am4 block as well. Well not the pro but the mount kit is identical. They did this to ensure it will fit different board thicknesses.

That's normal. When you tighten the contraption down all the play goes away.

I have the same am4 block as well. Well not the pro but the mount kit is identical. They did this to ensure it will fit different board thicknesses.

No. NONE of the slack goes away. That's the issue. Following their directions exactly results in NO slack going away...that's the problem.

The mount kit isn't identical...evidently

I'm sure if you tighten the block down even with the play the pressure it puts on the CPU will tighten the backplate and force the pressure to the CPU. Lots of Coolit AIOs had this problem on intel back when using a motherboard that was a 4 layer PCB vs an 8 layer PCB. Should be a non issue.

thanks for the response, but tightening everything down doesn't get rid of the slack. at all...it rattles like rocks in a tin can...UNLESS I use those washers not mentioned in the parts list, not mentioned in their directions, and not mentioned anywhere on their site...

frustrating to get to this point and encounter an evidently undocumented change

thanks for the response, but tightening everything down doesn't get rid of the slack. at all...it rattles like rocks in a tin can...UNLESS I use those washers not mentioned in the parts list, not mentioned in their directions, and not mentioned anywhere on their site...

frustrating to get to this point and encounter an evidently undocumented change

Are you using the am4 mount kit?

I spent my entire lunch hour (and a 15 minute break) with a razorblade, tiny-assed sewing needle, and big-assed magnifying glass fixing one of the screwed up thermaltake water blocks in case I had to revert to using that instead of the Raystorm...thank god I don't have to use the TT

Back