AM4 B350 / X370 VRM table

CAD4466HK

2[H]4U
VRM Table

Rating:

- The top class for overclocking is currently the ROG Crosshair VI Hero from ASUS and ASRocks X370 Taichi and Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming.
A winner between these two can not be made out of a VRM table. The built-in NexFETs are identical, both controllers come from the digital variety, although it is rumored that ASUS's own label is nothing but what is installed on the ASRock boards ungebabeled.
Even if you want to write to ASUS that they like the efficiency of the FETs with their phase setup better, ASRock has the theoretical advantage of being able to react more quickly to impulsive load changes through two native phases.
Therefore, UEFI and quality control will be decided.

- The Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 is such a board, priced very attractive the design has definitely the potential in the upper class to play along.
The same applies to evaluation of the installed hardware for biostar X370GT7, but Biostar is even more questionable than with Gigabyte, how well the UEFI implementation succeeds.

- A price / performance tip is currently the ASUS Prime X370-Pro. Similarly expensive competition by MSI or ASRock can also shine with digital controllers, but not synonymous with such a high-quality phase layout or NexFETs keep up.

- With the B350 boards, the ASUS Prime B350-Plus is currently the best figure; Four real phases are the highest of emotions for B350 boards, digital control otherwise provides only MSI in conjunction with a B350 FCH and the MOSFETs are so efficient that even at 100 ° C, 1.45V VCC and 145W power consumption the processor's power dissipation Of all FETs in the conversion for the CPU VCC is only 20W.
Even with heating coils, drivers and capacitors completely harmless

Well I'm a bit confused, he states that only ASUS Prime B350-Plus has 4 phases but from table it looks like all boards have 4 as minimum , few has 6 and some Asrock 3x2 (though not sure whats difference between 6 and 3x2)
So looking at that table I would assume that VRMs are not that big of deal on AM4 as they were on AM3? As even ROG and Aorus appears to have only 4 phases, BUT looking at ROG picture I can see 12 vrm chokes (or whatever it is called) and I was in the impression that this reflect to number of phases used by board...

Well I'm a bit confused, he states that only ASUS Prime B350-Plus has 4 phases but from table it looks like all boards have 4 as minimum , few has 6 and some Asrock 3x2 (though not sure whats difference between 6 and 3x2)
So looking at that table I would assume that VRMs are not that big of deal on AM4 as they were on AM3? As even ROG and Aorus appears to have only 4 phases, BUT looking at ROG picture I can see 12 vrm chokes (or whatever it is called) and I was in the impression that this reflect to number of phases used by board...
3x2 would no doubt mean 3 phases, doubled (ie: split) to create 6. It's sorta like taking a garden hose and putting a splitter valve on the end and running two more hoses at the same time.

They're still important on Ryzen, just that it's a much more efficient design, that now less are actually needed.

What I'm curious about is whether the non-APU Ryzens utilize all 8 phases, or if two of them just sit dormant and we're really only using 6. As, using my Titanium as an example, it's a 6+2+2, where if an APU was being run the 6 is CPU, the +2 is the iGPU and the last+2 is CPU-NB (memory controller). So I'm hoping when the chip is CPU-only, it's 8+2

3x2 would no doubt mean 3 phases, doubled (ie: split) to create 6. It's sorta like taking a garden hose and putting a splitter valve on the end and running two more hoses at the same time.

They're still important on Ryzen, just that it's a much more efficient design, that now less are actually needed.

What I'm curious about is whether the non-APU Ryzens utilize all 8 phases, or if two of them just sit dormant and we're really only using 6. As, using my Titanium as an example, it's a 6+2+2, where if an APU was being run the 6 is CPU, the +2 is the iGPU and the last+2 is CPU-NB (memory controller). So I'm hoping when the chip is CPU-only, it's 8+2

I watched a video on this, the iGPU phases do other things on the CPU as well, but will also provide the power for the graphics component when present. I can't remember the specifics of it but they are active even with no integrated unit in the chip.

I watched a video on this, the iGPU phases do other things on the CPU as well, but will also provide the power for the graphics component when present. I can't remember the specifics of it but they are active even with no integrated unit in the chip.
Awesome, I'm glad to hear that! Thanks :)

I still haven't gotten a clear concise answer on the Tomahawk B350 VRM's, its a 50/50 on whether or not the VRMS can hold the temps for a 4ghz clock speed on the CPU or not... I'm trying to be cheap on the first board I buy, until things get sorted.

I still haven't gotten a clear concise answer on the Tomahawk B350 VRM's, its a 50/50 on whether or not the VRMS can hold the temps for a 4ghz clock speed on the CPU or not... I'm trying to be cheap on the first board I buy, until things get sorted.

My Asus B350 Prime which has a similar 4 phase design had no problem with 4ghz. The little bitty heatsinks didn't even get warm. Seems to be more on the CPU lottery and CPU cooling.

My Asus B350 Prime which has a similar 4 phase design had no problem with 4ghz. The little bitty heatsinks didn't even get warm. Seems to be more on the CPU lottery and CPU cooling.

Interesting, as I had heard through overclocking.net that B350 boards are worthless due to VRM temps....

Interesting, as I had heard through overclocking.net that B350 boards are worthless due to VRM temps....

Well, I guess if you're pushing it hard and looking for that 4.1+ with high clocked RAM it won't work out well, my board only gets .200V max offset, no manual voltage.

I've seen a lot of peeps running 4.0GHz on B350 mobos, including a mod Markfw @ Anandtech who's been running BOINC @ 100% since early March.
Some are putting sinks on the VRM's w/ 40mm fans as some come naked. The ASRock AB350 Pro4 seems to be a popular choice.

I've seen a lot of peeps running 4.0GHz on B350 mobos, including a mod Markfw @ Anandtech who's been running BOINC @ 100% since early March.
Some are putting sinks on the VRM's w/ 40mm fans as some come naked. The ASRock AB350 Pro4 seems to be a popular choice.

The Tomahawk has enough fan headers to run extra fans anyway, solid idea might not look clean but hey, the board is only $95 atm.

Back