AM4 ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero Says Hi!

Yeah, that's a nice one too!

ps: I don't even want to know what you mean by "sink my aura" yuk

upload_2017-2-17_21-22-7.png

Last edited:
Had me right up until lack of eSATA.. been a ROG (Formula) user for years and while the plethora of USB 3.0 is nice (as is 3.1) the abandonment of external sata is very disappointing.

Had me right up until lack of eSATA.. been a ROG (Formula) user for years and while the plethora of USB 3.0 is nice (as is 3.1) the abandonment of external sata is very disappointing.
You could always run one to the front panel or a spare expansion slot

I personally laughed at the first slide that has "Best Gaming Audio" with a pic of a guy playing Hearthstone, which I used to play with the volume off most of the time.

geez asus went all out with that thing, the LED's i'll pass on though. but at least we have one clue that ryzen shouldn't have issues with overclocking ram since people were previously freaking out about it being locked/limited to 2400mhz.

They fucking analyze game audio to tell you where enemy sounds are coming from? Fucking what?

They fucking analyze game audio to tell you where enemy sounds are coming from? Fucking what?

Yeah, I missed that arrow the first time through.

That seems like an awful idea. Wonder if this Asus software will wind up tripping VAC bans down the line...

eSATA more or less ceases to be a thing with bootable USB3.

It's not the 'same', of course, as SATA has less overhead, but I can understand abandoning the standard going forward.

That seems like an awful idea. Wonder if this Asus software will wind up tripping VAC bans down the line...

Apparently it's the third iteration of this software, so that probably would have happened by now. Still, that has to be up there on the list of most entertaining bullshit motherboard features.

Apparently it's the third iteration of this software, so that probably would have happened by now. Still, that has to be up there on the list of most entertaining bullshit motherboard features.

Yeah, apparently this has been a topic of conversation since 2013....

Pretty shitty IMHO. Asus should know better.

Am I the only one that finds it pretty damn funny that they save money by not including the cable cover and M.2 fan adapter and then label it as a 'feature' that you can 3d-print your own? It's like a case manufacturer giving you CAD drawings of the side panels and telling you to go fab your own for personalization.

It makes the footsteps more audible in games so that you can tell that someone is coming up on you.

It makes the footsteps more audible in games so that you can tell that someone is coming up on you.

It actually overlays an arrow on screen pointing in the direction of the sound source.

I believe it's Creatives Scout mode that makes distant and quiet things more audible like you describe.

IMHO both of these are essentially hacking, albeit vendor sponsored hacking. I had no idea this stuff existed.

Hnnngggg... I said I'd shop around other manufacturers but this is quite nice indeed for a launch board.

Rotating the same old looking southbridge with a hole in it though lmfao. Latest new 'cool thing' they can change.

m2 fan holder? Lmfao! WATER COOLED m3 OMG!!!1111 TEH OCS MUH DATAS!!!!

Fucking noobs just whack some large frame fans in there and ignore the shitty little m2 holder with your superior airflow.

Last edited:
It actually overlays an arrow on screen pointing in the direction of the sound source.

I believe it's Creatives Scout mode that makes distant and quiet things more audible like you describe.

IMHO both of these are essentially hacking, albeit vendor sponsored hacking. I had no idea this stuff existed.

Ha ha an arrow sounds like cheating to me!

doubt it. from what i've seen all it does is detect the channels the sounds coming through to determine where it's coming from.. it's more of a handicap for bad players than is useful for good players that have proper headphones. i honestly wouldn't ever use it because it's more of a distraction then anything else.

The board layout is good. The gray/black instead of the red/black like older boards is still rubbing me the wrong way. Hope AMD can do well with the new chip and boards.

This.

The crosshair screens I saw

RGB... RGB.. RGB.. temp headers are neat... RGB... bloated audio drivers ... print the parts we were too cheap to put in the box .... RGB ...

Agree completely. Looks like a lot of bloat, excess and things that can break or go wrong.

The temp headers do appeal to me though, but the promo page suggests you have to use the Asus FanXpert software in order to use them for fan control?

If that's the case it's lame. I'd need OS independent fan control configurable in BIOS anyway.

Manufactures must know something we don't. That board looks great!

And I say that comparing the FM2 and late AM3 boards that were pretty meh in comparison.

I see a 4 pin + 8 pin CPU power connector and the VRMs from the "outside" appear to be quite beefy.

Oh, I think I spy a possible upgrade path. Been really happy with my Crosshair V Formula Z so it'll be interesting to see how the new Asus boards perform.

It all comes down to pricing. 12 USB ports are sexy. i understand that Ryzen does not have anything above mainstream Intel parts but has enough performance to get the game done. so motherboard prices and features are deciding the next upgrade path.

Agree completely. Looks like a lot of bloat, excess and things that can break or go wrong.

The temp headers do appeal to me though, but the promo page suggests you have to use the Asus FanXpert software in order to use them for fan control?

If that's the case it's lame. I'd need OS independent fan control configurable in BIOS anyway.

You can completely turn off all the rgb lighting, so that should not be a big deal. I have an Asus 970 Pro Aura and I can turn it off without issue. The only issue I have is that it will not remember the setting for the color I choose between reboots but, it will remain off if that is how I set it.

Awesome. I just bought another Crosshair V Formula-Z and an FX9590 to replace the ones a defective NZXT HUE+ killed. Then this shows up with basically a built-in HUE+ and early RyZen performance looks fantastic. It's a good thing I like spending money.

Fuck my face. :(

Of course the post is sarcastic, but that many USB ports I like.. there is always some shit with my hubs, direct connection always seems better to me.

I'm not poking fun, but genuinely curious. What do you do that requires so many USB connections.

I thought I used many, and I don't come close. Here's what I use:

Back of motherboard:
- Mouse
- Keyboard
- USB Microphone
- Internal Monitor USB hub (connected, but I never really use them)
- USB cable I sometimes use to connect my phone to charge or transfer files

Front headers:

Mostly empty, but sometimes plug in a USB stick or a wire to charge my fitbit.

The number of USB ports on that motherboard seem like a complete waste to me, that only adds cost.

Awesome. I just bought another Crosshair V Formula-Z and an FX9590 to replace the ones a defective NZXT HUE+ killed. Then this shows up with basically a built-in HUE+ and early RyZen performance looks fantastic. It's a good thing I like spending money.

Fuck my face. :(

How is it running? Were you able to overclock it well and it is running cool? Are you using an AIO or custom water cooling?

Ha ha an arrow sounds like cheating to me!

I never knew this existed, might be worth it for my next build! Wonder if it works on old games too? I have Meniere's Disease and am nearly deaf in my right ear now.. Can't play any game that relies on knowing where the enemies are by sound, since I no longer have stereo hearing!

It's only been about 8 years I've been dealing with it, and I'm not entire sure how it really would be of much help to people that can hear normally.. I remember playing games like Thief back in the day and with non-impaired hearing, it would actually just be a hindrance to have to look for visual cues along with everything else.

Back